Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 9:00:23 AM EDT
Thinking about getting the New Trailblazer to replace my little 2 seat sports car but I don't know of anyone who owns one around here.

Anybody have one and how do you like it?  What are their positive and negative points?  All opinions will be greatly appreciated.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#1]
My mom has a GMC Envoy which is mechanically the same vehicle as the Trailblazer except for the trim peices and the stricker price.

It has a 260hp inline 6 cylinder that is very quick. Feels almost as quick as the Lincoln Mark Vlll I used to own. It corners better than most other SUV's I've driven. No tip-over feeling but it does drift in the corners a bit. Just what you'd expect of a 4,000+lb vehicle.
With the towing package it will tow almost as muck as my full size F-150 pickup.
It has a complex 4WD/AWD system and it handled great in the little bit of snow we had last winter.

My only complaints are the low roofline which is a little tight for people 6' and taller and the side steps it came with. The truck doesn't sit high enough for me to need the steps but they stick out too far that I have to step on them to enter the vehicle and it feels awkward. My mom is short so these things don't effect her.

I really love the GM On-Star system. I wish it were available for Ford vehicles.

I've done a few 2-3 hour drives in her Envoy and it is great on the highway. Cruises at 80-85 no problem. Wind noise is minimal. Passing is a breeze. Its got power to spare.
She previously owned a GMC Jimmy and I have to say the Envoy is a 100% improvement.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Princeton:

Thanks for your info.

Sounds like a good car.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody else has one?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yobo,
    I would go for the Envoy if the little bit of extra money doesn't matter.  Its much nicer and will hold its value better.  As far as the engine, this is not a speedster despite what Princeton said.  While it is smaller than the Tahoe or Yukon they weigh nearly as much and have less much less torque than the 5.3 liter that is in the bigger trucks.  They are very nice vehicles and are very stable.  I looked at one but I wanted the extra room of the Tahoe.  Go look at the Envoy, just the seats alone it in are worth the extra money for me.  They are now one of the best selling mid-size SUV's on the market and one of the reasons Ford has taken such a hit in SUV sales lately.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I too test drove the Envoy since I was so attracted to its looks but ultimately, we bought a Chevy Tahoe LT.

Nice but kinda cramp. If you are married and have kids, make sure they are comfortable during long drives or else.... <<<<< insert The Simpson's "are we there yet?" lines here >>>>>
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont have one, but I have been watching this new inline 6 it has. been very interested in its lasting power. Would be fun to stuff it into an older smog excempt Jeep. Fuel injected and gobs of power. only time will tell. Though personally I wouldnt get a new vehicle that has a brand new drive train untill a couple years down the road. just so they can work out the bugs
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
mom has one, nice SUV. i still prefer my 88 GMC Jimmy or my 94 Firebird.

its a bitch to get the electronic 4WD selector to go to Neutral in the transfer case. its a 30 or 40 second proccess of turn this to here. hold it. now press this, turn it back ot here. release that. now turn it back to the orignal. and if you did it right and timed it right it will go to neutral. if not start all over. I love a manual transfer case, good ol lever to select 2H 4H N 4L.

oh one other annoyance but its toleralbe because it doesnt do much.

it has a rev limiter. you cant rev your engine. it takes around 2-4 seconds to climb the revs. so its still great for fast starts. just cant mess with the people next to you by Revvin the engine anymore. go check one out. put it in neutral and floor it. you will see what i mean.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind that with Onstar GMC can locate your vehicle at your request and unlock the doors for you

I belive they could also locate your vehicle at the request of the government and lock the doors on you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for all your replies.

I been thinking about the new drive train on this vehicle today and I don't think I want to be the one to prove that it is not good as I like to keep my car for loooong time (until those wheels fall off as my wife puts it).  I think I'll go look at Tahoe or Expedition instead as I want the third row seats.  Its going to be a big change from 2 seat sporter.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I am the BIGGEST! Chevy guy in the would and I have to say.......it SUCKS!!!!!

I have a 1990 S-10 Blazer and it's a very cool truck due to the things one can do with it.

If you want something to drive from point A to B and trade in in 2 or 3 years, what do you care ,buy a jap car.

I just put a 4.3L back in it last month and I can tell you I have alot more that 270hp.
You need a 60 or 90 degree V to get the revelutions you need to make real power,an inline any thing can't cut it.

The good old 4.3L(262ci),283ci,302ci,350ci,ect can be made to do things that would make some guy crap them selves with a bit of nohow but that inline 6 will get old fast.
It makes all it's power at like 5,000-6,000 RPM like most motors do but this one takes all damn day to get there.

It's a slug[V]no fun at all.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
yobo-
I just finished paying for my ex-wife's Chrysler Town&Country Lxi van (terms of the divorce), so now am thinking about getting a newer vehicle for myself. I shoot highpower, and have to drive a minimum of 3hrs. to the nearest club that runs across the course matches. So the smaller SUVs appeal to me. I want better milage than the Suburbans & Tahoes get, yet want something that is comfortable for 3+hrs. of highway travel. No kids, just a shooting buddy & his gear when we get together to go to a match. I talked to a friend in our gun club who works in the service dept. at a local Chevy dealership, and he told me that they had a stack of service bulletins on the new Trailblazer about 2" thick. His advice was to wait a year or so 'til GM gets all the bugs worked out of the new powertrain/body style.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#13]
trailblazer = butt ugly.

no, actually, it's fugly with a capital F.

are you looking to waste your money?

sorry, but i don't think any of the "new" cars now are worth the money you have to pay for them, especially the trendy little SUVs auto manufacturers are putting out.

i just recently got a 96 suburban.  beats the trailblazer by any standard as far as i'm concerned.  and at half the cost.  not only could i drive over the little trailblazer, but i could push it outta my way in traffic if need be.  [:D]

get a truck!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
trailblazer = butt ugly.

no, actually, it's fugly with a capital F.

are you looking to waste your money?

sorry, but i don't think any of the "new" cars now are worth the money you have to pay for them, especially the trendy little SUVs auto manufacturers are putting out.

i just recently got a 96 suburban.  beats the trailblazer by any standard as far as i'm concerned.  and at half the cost.  not only could i drive over the little trailblazer, but i could push it outta my way in traffic if need be.  [:D]

get a truck!
View Quote

ARLady:

Come on, don't hold back... tell me how you really feel about these cars [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top