Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2002 12:08:26 AM EDT
I guess I would probably get more help with out the use of name calling!!!

Anyway, here's the problem.  I've got a Compaq Presario desktop that's about 3 years old now.  A few weeks ago it froze up on me and I had to totally shut the power off to reboot it.  When it got restarted and past the scan disk the E: drive(which is the CD-ROM drive) no longer showed up when I clicked on my computer.  I can still open and close the CD-Rom by pressing the button underneath it but it does nothing when I put a CD in there.  Like I said before it doesn't even have the cd rom drive listed on the computer.  Any ideas on what I can do to make this thing play?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Huh?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Shutdown your machine and restart it, it may find your e-drive then.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Same thing happened to a friend. Check your ribbon cable, otherwise it's probably dead if the motherboard won't recognize it. Hopefully you'll get more replies, i'm no guru.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shutdown your machine and restart it, it may find your e-drive then.
View Quote

I've done that about 3 or 4 times a day for the past several weeks.  I know that's not gonna help.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it a kenwood zen cd drive?  Their was a big lawsuit regarding the cd drives, including one I had, doing that.
Course the cd drive could be dead also.  Does it show up in the device manager or Bios which was suggested?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like your IDE controller drivers have been corrupted , I get the feeling that you've never done a fresh reload on that machine . After a year or so Windoze files get really corrupted . If you knew what chipset the board uses , you could reinstall the lastest ones from Compaq that might help otherwise your just gonna have to bite the bullet and take it in  to a reputable shop to have it fix/reloded .
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Try this. Click start- then compaq support-then quick restore- then selective- then cdrom driver- follow instructions. let me know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Without the machine in front of me and knowing what OS you are running, it's hard to tell. If you still have the driver for the CDROM drive, the first thing to do is right click on MY COMPUTER, then properties. Different operating systems are set up alittle different, but what you want to do is uninstall the cdrom and then have the MS hardware wizard do a detect. When you see a button that says "Have Disk" click it and follow the instructions. If that fails, next step is to do a reinstall of the original OS. If that fails, you can try a wipe of your hard drive and then a reinstall. If THAT fails, you probably have a problem with your mother board.

You can try to replace the ribbon cable to the CD, but they very very rarely go bad (I've never seen it.) There is also an outside chance that your CD bit the dust.

Good luck. Compaqs are not very user friendly to the do it yourselfer.

regards,

legrue
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I would still think the most obvious answer is the CD drive died.  Trouble shoot that first and then explore some of the other possibilities later.  I have never had a IDE controller or cable go bad but I guess its possible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it a kenwood zen cd drive?  Their was a big lawsuit regarding the cd drives, including one I had, doing that.
Course the cd drive could be dead also.  Does it show up in the device manager or Bios which was suggested?
View Quote

I'm not sure what kind it is.  It doesn't show up in the device manager or BIOS at all.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like your IDE controller drivers have been corrupted , I get the feeling that you've never done a fresh reload on that machine . After a year or so Windoze files get really corrupted . If you knew what chipset the board uses , you could reinstall the lastest ones from Compaq that might help otherwise your just gonna have to bite the bullet and take it in  to a reputable shop to have it fix/reloded .
View Quote

I've had to use the restore disk on this puter a few times because of getting corrupted files.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#13]
The first line in your paragraph is your answer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Its only obvious to tell what OS your running by the problem your having. WIn98.
This was a common problem with WIn95 and WIn98.

Your IDE drivers are now corrupt.

The success rate on getting the drivers back without a reload is about 50%.

Win9x products blow so hard, O and if you didn't understand my first post, don't by a compaq again, QC just isn't there. (Not that this issue is compaq's fault)
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try this. Click start- then compaq support-then quick restore- then selective- then cdrom driver- follow instructions. let me know how it turns out.
View Quote

I tried that but no luck.  Thanks for the info it was worth a shot.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top