Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2002 8:25:41 PM EDT
Question to any Teamster member I have been in the Teamsters for only 4 years Im on layoff right now we were in negotiation on a new contract my 1st that expire on July 2001 I was layed off Nov 2001 all talks stopped no word from my Union other than was put on hold well i just heard from another member that our union contract was settled.But the people on layoff werent told that they are voting and we didnt get to vote my question is when on layoff with call back dont we get to vote also?I called my Union and no answer yet cant seem to get a response from my Union.Anyone know about this how does other unions work??? thanks for the help
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a member of the IBEW and don't really know how the teamsters do business.  I would think as long as you are a dues paying member, you would also carry voting rights, but don't quote me on this.  Since you are on layoff status, that may be null and void.  The union members at the company you were working for will have the voting rights for sure or at least should have the voting rights.  Go to the next union meeting and ask the question there.  Your business rep will be able to answer for sure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
local 346 teamsters.  i've only been working there (fleming) since feb though so can't tell you anything.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
actually acat is almost right....

DUES PAYING....which you dont do on layoff= no voting rights.....

Also you said ask a business agent? PLEASE, Teamster BA's are rare if they can answer "What time is it" correctly.......
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
IBEW 948 Flint Michigan. Nice to see a brother A2cat-man. As for the teamster. Like cat man said if your dues are paid you should be able to vote. But it is up to you to know when the vote is. I don't know if you go to your meetings but you really should. At my local only about a fifth of the membership shows and only a quarter of us vote on monthly business. So 5% of the membership controls the fait of the local.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm laid off and I still pay my monthly dues. I am just not paying working dues, since I am not working.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a Steard in Teamsters Local 1150.  In our local you don't vote if you're on layoff.  By the way if you go back you will find that the International Constitution has been changed so that your dues is now 2 1/2 times your hourly rate instead of 2 times your hourly rate per month.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IBEW 948 Flint Michigan. Nice to see a brother A2cat-man. As for the teamster. Like cat man said if your dues are paid you should be able to vote. But it is up to you to know when the vote is. I don't know if you go to your meetings but you really should. At my local only about a fifth of the membership shows and only a quarter of us vote on monthly business. So 5% of the membership controls the fait of the local.
View Quote

Local 1547 Anchorage.  Same problem here.  Only a few members show for the meetings unless it's a direct threat to their job.  You should see the turnout then.  Actually I don't attend the in town meetings since I live outside of Anchorage, but I do attend and vote at the meetings at my company.  The Brain is right Gary.  I neglected to tell you that it's your resposibility to get the meeting schedule.  Some of your brothers or sisters will know when they will be meeting.  If you're not paying dues, you probably will be out of luck for the vote.  But you should still be able to attend the meetings.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm laid off and I still pay my monthly dues. I am just not paying working dues, since I am not working.
View Quote

If You are not doing union work they shouldn't be charging dues. Are you sure you can't get a withdrawal card, they usually only cost 50 cents.

Do you work for one specific employer or do you work out of the union as a tradesman and work for many different employers?

If its a closed shop and you are on their seniority list you should be allowed to vote. Especially since they are still charging you dues I think you should be allowed to vote. Generally, the only thing that can keep you from voting would be if you weren't current in your dues or if you are considered part-time help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top