User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]

My relatives don't stop by at 3:30 AM, so I don't really worry about things like this happening.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if his gun had a flashlight, or if it was "kiss".
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
It never really says what she was doing going into his house at 3 in the morning.  

I'm going to say meth head.  I'll apologize if any further info comes out to the contrary.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess target recognition went out the window huh?
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Newspaper failure is fail.

Was the niece a resident?

Was the niece a burglar?

Was the shooter living with family, to include niece?

Simply not enough news in the story to form an opinion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Was she mistaken for an intruder, or was she an intruder that he happened to be related to?  That's the key question.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was she mistaken for an intruder, or was she an intruder that he happened to be related to?  That's the key question.

Yes.  That's what I meant to say.  I need coffee.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wonder if his gun had a flashlight, or if it was "kiss".

I wonder if he pointed a gun with a flashlight on it at someone who turned out not to be the Grinch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My relatives don't stop by at 3:30 AM, so I don't really worry about things like this happening.

Do you have teenage kids?

But at her Uncle's at 3:30AM?  

It should definitely be out of the norm, and I can see at that time how an accident like that could happen.  Very sad deal for the family.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]

I never came home at 3:30 AM in the morning and crept around the house when I was growing up.  I knew I could potential get shot by my parents thinking I was an intruder.  Plus my parents locked the house up tighter than a drum at night.  So in order to get in I would have to knock and wake someone up.  Having a key would not cut it and I could not get in.

I had a friend in college who did once come home around that time one morning and was almost shot by his father who thought he was an intruder.  His dad chewed his ass out the next day and told him he was lucky he was not shot.  My friend never did that again and realized how stupid he was for doing that at that time of the morning.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, if you're close enough with a relative to go into their house unannounced at 3 AM then you're close enough to know they have guns.  And act accordingly.  This whole thing just smells strange.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:41:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, maybe she shouldn't have been there.  But I'm guessing this guy sure wishes he had known who she was was before he pulled the trigger.

It's just FOUR FUCKIN' RULES!  How hard is that?
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He probably IS  a teenage kid

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sad either way.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. But they've been told that if a red dot suddenly appears on them, to say something quickly.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He probably IS  a teenage kid

Not for the last 30 years or so.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, maybe she shouldn't have been there.  But I'm guessing this guy sure wishes he had known who she was was before he pulled the trigger.

She broke into her uncles house. Perhaps to crash, perhaps to steal. She played a stupid game, you know the rest.

If she did not live there and all the residents were accounted for, Uncle had no reason to think it was anything but a burglury.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:51:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was the niece a burglar?

They likely did that on purpose. What promotes their agenda better "Man shoots own family member in home with evil gun" or "Man defends home from drugged up criminal that broke into his house"?
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Well, maybe she shouldn't have been there. But I'm guessing this guy sure wishes he had known who she was was before he pulled the trigger.

It's just FOUR FUCKIN' RULES! How hard is that?

That's where I'm sittin'. Evidently it's difficult for some folks. There are a lot of stupid people in this world. We have usurped natural selection for a long time. This increases that number.

This is a prime example of a simple situation going to hell because someone didn't bother to know what the fuck they were doing before they started playing with dangerous instruments.

This is why I shake my head at the shooters who poo poo training stating that," I've been shooting since I was blah blah blah...I'm not paying some instructor to show me what I already blah blah blah.".

TRAINING AND PRACTICE. It's not only your life they might save.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was the niece a burglar?

They likely did that on purpose. What promotes their agenda better "Man shoots own family member in home with evil gun" or "Man defends home from drugged up criminal that broke into his house"?

That is a distinct possiblity. It's one of the tools HCI and their ilk use in their stats that go something like .... you're "x" number of times more likely to shoot a family member than a criminal". Never mind that that family member might be your meth head son in law who came to cut up your daughter who's staying with you for safety.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Note to self....

If entering a relatives home at 3:30 am, FUCKING KNOCK FIRST......
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She broke into her uncles house. Perhaps to crash, perhaps to steal. She played a stupid game, you know the rest.

If she did not live there and all the residents were accounted for, Uncle had no reason to think it was anything but a burglury.

Far more people are robbed and killed by cousins, nephews, nieces and other family members than most people think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I love how people apply their version of normal to everyone else.

What bullshit.

I know plenty of people that live with relatives.

I used to have the key to my uncle's house.

His only rule was that I don't wake him up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No kidding.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Still man, family is family.

And even if they are a junky(family) you don't freaking shoot them.

I personally would send this guy to jail, but hey.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy is an idiot for not identifying his target, but lets not jump the gun(pun intended) on the jail part yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I guess target recognition went out the window huh?

He hit the target and neutralized it.  I would say he identified his target just fine.  Are you saying you would need to identify someone before you shoot them?  Not by name or anything but "OK that is an 18 year old male'' Bang!  Oh crap that is a 14 year old male I think I will not shoot.  Shit that is a 30 year old crack head Bang!  

Someone who does not live in your house breaks in at 0300 and I believe you are justified in shooting them (of course as long as you are in fear for your life of your families lives.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Just a couple of days after moving into our house back in Oct of 1978, there was a noise at the slider. I thought it was my dog, but I had not brought him there yet. Moved in the day or so before this incident.

Fella in town for the homecoming football game was trying to get in.

Long story short, he ended up in my Blazer, then at the graybar motel for the night.

An awful lot of stuff goes through your mind.

The decision had been made to shoot before he got in, I am glad the door was locked.

Now while he was sitting in my truck,The police and I discovered that he had no pants on.

Guy, all drunk and all, no pants on, small house, better hit the floor real fast.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It should definitely be out of the norm, and I can see at that time how an accident like that could happen.  Very sad deal for the family.  

How is it an accident?
He pointed the gun and pulled the trigger.  Sounds like things worked just like they were supposed to.

Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#41]
This one got me- "In an e-mail, Maj. Steve Lillard confirmed that Eller called 911 and that the victim was present when deputies arrived."

Eller shot her. Did they expect her to not be there?
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A Birmingham native who attended Vestavia Hills High School and the University of Alabama at Birmingham was killed Friday, apparently when her uncle shot her by accident.

Hannah Kathryn Frey, 24,

It's my understanding she lives in that area or with him.

I have feeling and just pure speculation on my part alcohol involved and uncles house was nearest place to crash.

Thursday night into Friday morning is not the most popular night to drink but I agree it is possible.
Also the drug addicted niece could have been looking to steal stuff.

Or it could be just a tragedy....
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's where I'm sittin'. Evidently it's difficult for some folks. There are a lot of stupid people in this world. We have usurped natural selection for a long time. This increases that number.

This is a prime example of a simple situation going to hell because someone didn't bother to know what the fuck they were doing before they started playing with dangerous instruments.

This is why I shake my head at the shooters who poo poo training stating that," I've been shooting since I was blah blah blah...I'm not paying some instructor to show me what I already blah blah blah.".

TRAINING AND PRACTICE. It's not only your life they might save.

You are mixed up I believe.  This incident did not increase the number of stupid people in the world.  It decreased it by 1.
As for training and practice...  He hit was he was aiming at and she is dead.  How much more practice does he really need?
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Seriously, no one's made a Marvin Gaye joke yet? GD, I am dissapoint
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well, maybe she shouldn't have been there.  

Enough said.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it an accident?
He pointed the gun and pulled the trigger.  Sounds like things worked just like they were supposed to.

BECAUSE HE PROBABLY WASN'T INTENDING TO SHOOT HIS TWENTY-FOUR FUCKING YEAR OLD COLLEGE FUCKING GRADUATE NIECE
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, maybe she shouldn't have been there. But I'm guessing this guy sure wishes he had known who she was was before he pulled the trigger.

It's just FOUR FUCKIN' RULES! How hard is that?

Tell that to all the people on the site who insist that using a white light isn't necessary when you think there's an intruder in your house.
Maybe I can start a class action lawsuit claiming that selling guns without lights is negligent and then all the gun companies will start adding lights, course they would probably be some POS chinese light then my head would pop....

do it ;)
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Under what law violation?
Either you can defend yourself and family or you can't.  He did.

So many talk about and want to have "castle Doctrine" laws in their States and most States I believe have such laws.  I believe they are good laws and should be the law in every State.  Guessing the Uncle feels bad about it.  Most likely wishes it had not happened. Facts will likely come out so we will know just what happened but prosecute him?  I think not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

My relatives don't stop by at 3:30 AM I keep a light on my home defense weapons, so I don't really worry about things like this happening.

fixed.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top