Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2002 4:56:27 PM EDT
[b]John Carney killed while attempting to foil a robbery.[/b]

[url]http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=92224ad0afeb7fe4e366583bcb7272f2&threadid=77965&perpage=25&pagenumber=1[/url]

He was not a member of AR15.com that I know of but regardless I mourn the loss.  I knew of him through Glock Talk and over at Subguns.com.  I had the pleasure of doing business with him twice, though it was merely an internet transaction I at least feel proud to have had a pleasant exchange with him.  He certainly sounds like an upstanding individual and [u]I KNOW[/u] he was an upstanding businessman.  I pray for his family & friends and hope that he R.I.P.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
How sad...[V], God bless him and his family.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
[:(][USA]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[:(][USA]
View Quote

(This deserves a hand salute icon of some type)
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://www.ddc.dla.mil/images/flag-halfst.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats terrible [:(].  

RIP John.

[url]http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/3197682.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a very sad deal.  He sounds like he was a good man and I am sure he will be missed.

God Bless

medcop
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#7]
John was a member here, and frequently sold in the EE.

I'm questioning the reporting though...

John B. Carney, 55, was shot when three robbers entered the store at 929 Goshen Ave. [red]He was armed with a 45-caliber revolver, which he carried for his job as an insurance investigator.[/red]

~ snip ~

[red]Police continue to search for the robbers and Carney's Glock handgun, which the robbers apparently took with them.[/red] An undisclosed amount of money was taken.
View Quote

So where does one obtain a Glock revolver..?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I pray that the Lord comforts his family and friends in this time of tragedy, graciously giving them the strength to help this to pass. Provide law enforcement the wisdom and knowledge to apprehend those responsible so they may be tried and punished for the innocent life they have taken. Lord, please grant John Carney, a fellow brother in arms, eternal life in your Kingdom. In Jesus name, Amen.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm questioning the reporting though...

John B. Carney, 55, was shot when three robbers entered the store at 929 Goshen Ave. [red]He was armed with a 45-caliber revolver, which he carried for his job as an insurance investigator.[/red]

~ snip ~

[red]Police continue to search for the robbers and Carney's Glock handgun, which the robbers apparently took with them.[/red] An undisclosed amount of money was taken.
View Quote

So where does one obtain a Glock revolver..?
View Quote

Going further down through the GT thread there was a correction of the revolver comment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Preyers sent to John's Family and friends.[usa]

To the killers, we're coming for you!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess johnny boy did not read any of the "what if" threads on glocktalk dealing with a robbery.  He should of been in the back of the store, so he had time to position himself and be ready to 'take a shot' to 'defend myself or someone else' He was trying to be a hero.  300lb wannabe-cop, he couldnt even unholster his weapon correctly. Notice how no one else but him was killed.  [b]It was his own fault for trying to be a hero.[/b]  by the way, there is now another gun on the street.
View Quote

fucking troll.
View Quote

Not even close to the appropriate description of this POS.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I was not being a troll.  I was just giving my opinion. I did not post it to make anyone angry, that is just a side effect.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess johnny boy did not read any of the "what if" threads on glocktalk dealing with a robbery.  He should of been in the back of the store, so he had time to position himself and be ready to 'take a shot' to 'defend myself or someone else' He was trying to be a hero.  300lb wannabe-cop, he couldnt even unholster his weapon correctly. Notice how no one else but him was killed.  It was his own fault for trying to be a hero.  by the way, there is now another gun on the street.
View Quote

[>:/]   Is this really how you want to start out on this site?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#15]
No personal attacks of any kind, sir.  I was not personally attacking johno since hes dead.  there is no one to attack.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually, I see it as his farewell statement! [pissed]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Really? so i am going to be banned for making a statement showing someone's fault? sheesh the black jesus is crying if i do get banned.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#18]
at the risk of being banned, i deleted my first reply.  Last time I ever express an opinion though that isnt in the majority.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes it is a shame I read that at Glocktalk couple days ago. Maybe he was a wannabe-LEO. What I don't see in the article is the fact he Couldn't unholster his gun right.

Could someone point that out to me or where the info came from. Yes it is a shame there is another weapon on the street. Maybe it still would have been because they would have taken it if John was robbed.

Maybe he couldn't position himself fast enough or had the cover. I would just like to say May he rest in Peace. What we don't need to do is Malign anyone for their weight or how they reacted to save themselves or people around...If that was the case there would be no Dead Firefighters or LEO from the WTC also Civilians who put their lives on the line for reasons unknown.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#20]
edpmedic,
you are right, thats why i deleted my post for the fact i mentioned his weight, on the glocktalk thread one of the members there posted a few other stories. i believe one of the members said that he couldnt unholster his weapon.  I didint flame john, i am not glad he is dead, i was just pointing out some facts as related by the articles. as for the positioning part i was just poking fun at those stupid "what if" threads.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#21]
So Matt...

[*] Do [u]you[/u] actually know how our [b]friend[/b] was handling this situation when he was murdered..?[/*]

[*] Do [u]you[/u] actually know what stance he was in..?[/*]

[*] Do [u]you[/u] actually know where he was positioned in the store..?[/*]

[*] Do [u]you[/u] not get the fact that he gave the ultimate gift..? ([i]His life for that of anothers[/i])[/*]

[*] Do [u]you[/u] actually understand that he was trying to stop the crime from continuing..?[/*]

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#22]
FWIW:  Nowhere has it been reported that he was unable to unholster his weapon, but even if that were the case, how many stressfire situations have [u]you[/u] taken part in..?  [pissed]

Oh, and weight has no bearing on drawing a weapon and being a man, when nobody else is willing to be one!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#23]
MattCA - Suggest you Read the entire thread on glocktalk before you spout that kind of shit here! [:X*]

Quote from fwdave on glocktalk:
"In spite of what you may read or hear in the news media, he did not try to intervene in the robbery. He innocently entered the store at a time when two of the three robbers had employees in a back room, and the third robber acting as a lookout grabbed him from behind.

During the ensuing struggle, his Glock was either taken or became dislodged from his holster. During the battle with his attacker he was shot, but at this point it has not been determined by whose gun."

He was not trying to foil anything, was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time and got ambushed.

RIP John

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#24]
if he cant unholster his weapon then he shouldnt be ccwing. A glocktalk member reported it in one of the threads, i guess it came from one of the articles, but i dont know.  I rather reley on the articles for my info not some posting by a member of GT.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh and think about this,  The Robbers were rounding up the employees in the back room.  Who's to say the robbers weren't planning on killing all the employees before John entered?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#26]
That's it!!!  I'm the one that locked your account!!  I'm not about to standby and watch you piss on a man's grave because of your hypothetics!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you Kevin...  You have an extra [beer] coming from me at the BRC for this!

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Thank you Kevin! That had to be the lowest most obnoxious post that I've ever seen here!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#29]
MattCa..Thats ok you my voice your opinion anytime. I was just wondering where the he couldn't upholster his weapon. I thought maybe there was a witness who saw it.  I have to go back and read the newer posts on Glocktalk.

Everyone is allowed to his or her comments, sometimes we write and not realize how a person will read it. If you tell me you’re not trolling or trying to be an A-Hole fine. Either way you should not be afraid to post what you feel, because you will be banned. I try to stay in the guidelines of language and respect for fellow posters.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe if MattCA had respectfully given an observation about the importance of drawing your weapon, but nooo... taunting "wannabe cop" and "300lbs" and all that other shit. Maybe John did do it wrong, maybe not. Maybe he saved some lives, maybe he just wasted his. Hopefully not - and I don't think so.

Thanks for banning this asshole: Fuck you MattCA. (California sucks btw)
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Almost forgot to add that there are contradictory stories: one article talks about the problems of drawing the weapon, while another says he was immediately grabbed from behind upon entering the store while the other 2 thugs were in the bacf room.

RIP Mr. Carney

Also, check the GlockTalk forums if you are interetsed in contributing money to his family or to the NRA in his name.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
if he cant unholster his weapon then he shouldnt be ccwing. A glocktalk member reported it in one of the threads, i guess it came from one of the articles, but i dont know.  I rather reley on the articles for my info not some posting by a member of GT.
View Quote

Dipshit, how do you know he even tried to unholster? There's a right time and a wrong time to unholster a weapon in a situation. Did it ever cross your mind that he didn't have an opportunity to unholster his weapon?
A situation like that happens very quickly....oh, sorry, you know everything [spank].
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Very sad. Rest in peace, Mr Carney.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#35]
We were not there.  Period.

(I weigh 230, but I don't look it!!!)

(Posted my message over on Glocktalk...& it's not this one.. this is reply to that Newbie...)

[url]http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78559[/url] Memorial Fund for John Carney

More interesting posts/threads:
[url]http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78437[/url] John Carney & GT... an all too brief moment in time

Carney's web site: [url]http://carneyshunting.com/[/url] & [url]http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/forest/3300/[/url]

All these links I got from Glocktalk posts.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, the KSSR DOES suck - that's why we want to leave.  Too bad the damn liberal won't stay here until the damn thing falls off into the ocean...

As far as our korpsbruder falling in the line of his civic duty, I am saddened.  This does sound like a case of "Condition Yellow" or "Condition White" (tempered by actually carrying a sidearm, of course,) but I am not yet privy to all of the facts.  I would be interested in knowing his preferred method of carry, and how his concealed sidearm was discovered by the goblins (or was he carrying openly?  An interesting question...)

MattCA - many of us who hold CCW's are not "Cop Wannabees" - most of us shoot better than cops int he first place, and we are armed not because we do not truct the LEO, but because there are A) not enough of them to protect us, and B) too many for this to be a truly free country.  I'm not looking forward to a police state, and how can I morally justify paying someone to protect me if I am not myself willing to do for myself in the first place.  That is liberal illogic, and I am NOT illogical.

BTW - I hold CCW's in nine states so far, and I am licensed to actually carry in 28 via reciprocity and recognition.  I am not a cop (tho I am X-ABN on medical retirement) and I neither profess to be one nor do I care to be one.  I am armed because I care about my family and myself, and I am a lot closer than most LEOs are - why do you think they call it the "Thin Blue Line?"

All - This sounds like something that should be addressed in the "Ayoob Files" - I think it would be interesting to see what the Man says about it...

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#37]
R.I.P. John Carney.  We'll miss him from both here and GlockTalk.  And John, we know you're in a better place now, but if you really were trying to stop an armed robbery, you have my most heartfelt respect, admiration, and thanks for being a man who "did something."  You may have saved the lives of everyone else in that store.  

I'll say an extra prayer tonight for John and his family. [:(]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Un-ban that prick and let him speak his feeble mind.  You wanna play you slimy fuck?  This man died because he was ambushed.  YOU want to defame him because he weighed 300 lbs?  I tell you what, I weigh 300 lbs, and I will out draw you, out shoot you, and I can kick your ass!  No one, under any circumstances, should EVER speak that way about any man who dies like this.  We haven't the facts to make a judgement about anything except that he is dead.  If you were a quarter of the man most of us are, you would be speaking of him like a martyr.  In conclusion, you MattCA, are an asswipe.  Pull your head out of your ass and look for the facts, not what you think (I use the term loosely) to be true.        
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#40]
It's sad that he did not get to kill those thugs, but at least he died trying to defend himself.  Personally, I think that is preferable to being shot in the head while pleading for mercy.

It's entirely possible that the other victims are alive today because of his sacrifice.

He is a hero in my book.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I did not know Mr Carney, nor did I ever have any time to. Old Man Murphy at work again.(anything that can go wrong, will)             As we all think, train, and act to be prepared,....we never really are. No amount of situational awareness will always work. We are human. Let his day be a cruel lesson to us, and may he rest in peace. We may never know the extent of this hero's deeds.                    To the sub-human crud that murdered him: WE WILL do all within our power, to find and prosecute you to the FULLEST extent of local and Fed. laws. Try and sleep at night, as we ARE COMING FOR YOU.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#42]
censorship is getting bad here.[}:D]
hope i don't get banned. If so send my 60 dollars back it left here wednesday night.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#43]
R.I.P. John! To his family my condolences!

p.s. MattCA [img]http://members.cox.net/koewler/yourproblem.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#44]
My Prayers go out to this Mans family & friends.
I hope these scumsucker who are responsible,will be caught before another innocent person is hurt or killed.
This is truly sad...And the liberals will spare the killer's live's, And still try to convince us into turning all of our firearms to prevent events such as this..."Yeah,And the toothfariy leaves the money for teeth too?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top