Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2002 4:14:54 PM EDT
Here's the article.

BALTIMORE -- Nine Baltimore City Council members have joined a Council member's proposal to ban use of the six-letter "N" word, WBAL-TV reporter Barry Simms said.

Councilman Melvin Stukes introduced a resolution prohibiting people from using the word, which he says is derogatory and is used too often. He says the word is "defamatory, offensive and hurtful."

Councilwoman Lois Garey said she doesn't think the word should be used, but she doesn't think it should be banned by law. She said not using the word "should be so ingrained by this time that we shouldn't have to put it into words or in law."

Stukes says that by ignoring the use of the word, officials give the impression -- especially to young people -- that it's acceptable. He said he wants to ban other derogatory words as well, and to encourage young people to dress more conservatively.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I think the word is offensive.  But!  To ban the word entirely is even more offensive to me.  How many other words are there that people might find offensive that will some day be banned?  gun?  dissent?  constitution?

misanthrope747
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming the do-gooders manage to pull this off, what will they do about books in Baltimore with the 'N' word in it?  Rap albums would have to be banned as well, since use of the word is rampant in that music, and what of the 'homiez on da street' who's 'peeps' are 'playaz and niggaz'?  Shall we fine, perhaps arrest them, for what they call each other?

Maybe the ban is only for white people.  Yeah, that must be it, that's the only way it makes sense. [whacko]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm completely disgusted by this obviously white power thread.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Um, maybe I took it the wrong way, but [b]WTF[/b] are you talking about?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I think all those council members are, ready?, niggardly. Unlike myself who is a good tipper.[:D]  
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Perfectly fine with me, if I never hear or see the word "nigger" again. Just as long as they ban the words "diversity" and "equal opportunity (employer)" at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know how they are gonna "ban" that word, My experience with that is that I hear more black people using it towards other blacks than I've heard other races using it. ( you don't have to be black to be a ni@@er) And I apologize in advance if any out there feel that this is a "white power" reply to this thread.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Argh-political silliness, any such law is going to be blasted to smithereens by the ACLU (and rightly so) of course, only after the City of Baltimore has it's attorneys spend tens of thousands of dollars to defend the stupid law while the ACLU guys work for free.
View Quote

You don't really think the ACLU would try to oppose Stalinesque word control when it dovetails with their own personal agendas do you? Really? And when is the last time they championed a 2nd Amendment case? Or a 10th Amendment case? Hmm?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]
When I hear someone use the "N" word, I generally just deduct 50 points off of what IQ I thought they had before they said it.

All goo intentions aside, realistically, if this Councilman really wants to give power to this word, then by all means ban it.  

He'll never hear the end of the "N" word.  That's how things work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Um, once again my witty sarcasm flies low under the radar.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Gonna be a whole bunch of black folks in trouble if this idiocy passes !
Wonder where the 1st Ammendment folks are on this one ?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
will we be burning books next.
seems I've seen this before.
OH yes try reading a little German history.
Next he'll be banning ar15.com from the internet
unless you all contribute to his reelection.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Shamus, your sarcasm is about as talented as your chain saw skills.  Pretty good most of the time, but every now and then you drop one in a tree.  :)

Of course, I can't claim that my skills in either are any better.

misanthrope747
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Gosh, I'm feeling left out.  How about outlawing Kraut as well?  Hmm...what else fits the netherregions of my lineage that I suddenly find myself offended by?

Mick, Limey, Kike, and..why not...Cracker.

Hmmmm...and what's a good derogatory phrase for...hmmmm...Oh!  I got it!

Firewater Tanto!!!

I just made that up.  Good phrase for my Indian (Feather, not dot....oh..ok fine....Native American) heritage.  And that's Fox Indian, you oppressive gun toting bastards (oh...shit hypocracy...I tote too...Toto too...Dorithy?  I AM NOT IN KANSAS ANY MORE....SOMEWHERE...OVER...THE...RAIN...BOW...)

Holy shit...where's the Tylenol?

Yours,

Zippy
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ban use of the six-letter "N" word
View Quote

If you ask me, this is a white conspiracy to stick it to the black man.  By banning this particular word, the police will be able to arrest the black brothers and sisters who use it as a common greeting.

Of course, I could just be totally full of crap.[:E]

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#18]
You forgot the Hallaleuja Zippy.  Anybody have any idea how to spell that word???

misanthrope747
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gonna be a whole bunch of black folks in trouble if this idiocy passes !
Wonder where the 1st Ammendment folks are on this one ?
View Quote

Yep, just think the prisons are overcrowded now and after that BS passes they will have to lock up the whole downtown area!! I guess all the "homies" refering to eachother as they normally do will now be a crime. Our tax dollars at work once again!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Um, once again my witty sarcasm flies low under the radar.
View Quote

You got me.  Use the smileys![BD]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shamus, your sarcasm is about as talented as your chain saw skills.  Pretty good most of the time, but every now and then you drop one in a tree.  :)

Of course, I can't claim that my skills in either are any better.

misanthrope747
View Quote

LOL!!

Bringing up that chainsaw incident just wasn't nice![:)]

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#22]
The word "Baltimore" offends me! I demand it be banned!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#23]
How about banning the C word, Cracker, or the H word, Honky, or the W word, Whitey.  They are meant in the same derogatory manner when used by certain people.  Oh, I forgot, only white people are racist.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Why stop at nigger.  Do away with kike, hymie, honkie, wop, slope, sand nigger, towel head, .....it's a long list.....good luck to this do-gooder.  I think he comes from the school of simple minds that

Names only have the power YOU choose to give them.  The proper response is.."you're ignorant"
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#25]
"Nigger puhleeeze!!"
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How about banning the C word, Cracker, or the H word, Honky, or the W word, Whitey.  They are meant in the same derogatory manner when used by certain people.  Oh, I forgot, only white people are racist.
View Quote

that's right, if you're black you are "proud of your heritage" if you are white, you are "racist"
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Councilman Melvin Stukes introduced a resolution prohibiting people from using the word, which he says is derogatory and is used too often. He says the word is "defamatory, offensive and hurtful."
View Quote

So if I call  Mr. Stukes a [b]MORON[/b] will
he want to ban that word too ??

It still amazes me sometimes how ignorant people are!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top