Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2002 4:06:22 PM EDT
A lot of people that I know dip snuff or chew. Mostly Copenhagen, Wintergreen Skoal & Levi. I've also noticed that a large number of them started at a very young age, much younger than most smokers, including myself.

I was just wondering what most of you guys use and at what age did you start.

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I dip Red Seal now because it is one of the cheaper brands. I started dipping Skoal when I was 13.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I started chewing Redman at about 11 years old, somewhere around age 15 I started chewing Copenhagen, which I have been chewing for a year or 2 now...............................................................................okay been chewing Copenhagen for the past 18 years [:D]

Jamie
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
11 & 13 seem to be common ages that keep popping up. I myself started using Copenhagen when I was 13 and by the time I was 15 my highschool baseball coach was bumming dips from me after school at practice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]

I started at about sixteen with Skoal Wintergreen. Almost 18 years later, I'm still dippin', but with the less exspensive Red Seal brand. Honestly, I wished I never would have tried it. It's very addictive stuff. I still say it's a safer alternative to cigarettes though ... and I still have all my teeth and healthy gums [:D]
Shane <---- gotta pinch in right now!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Started dipping Copenhagen at 16, still dip copenhagen on payday but usually Timberwolf fine cut.

I started because i smoked in high school and it was easier to get away with dipping in class than trying to sneak a smoke. Been about 10 years now. I've quit probably 20 times, longest was about a month.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Off and on since I was 8.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Started off with Happy Days (remember that one?)around the age of 12. Went to Skoal and then Copenhagen. Will be 34 this year.

Karl
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Started in kindergarten on Skoal regular cut, had a can in my sock by 2nd grade. Started smoking at 10, quit dipping from age 20 to 26 then quit smoking full time and started dipping again.

For some reason I like it too much to quit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I started with Skoal mint when I was 17, Switched to cherry when it came out. Skoal has this Berry Blend stuff out in my area. Its great.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Started in 9th grade with Skoal Wintergreen then graduated to Copenhagen right after 12th grade.  Dipped Copenhagen for about 11 years. Got to where I was dipping a can and a half a day. Quit dipping February 2001.  Tried a pinch a few months ago and got sick (actually thought I was going to [puke]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I started with Red Man when I was 20 years old. I soon went to King Bee twist and Bruton snuff. I used those for about 15 years and quit cold turkey after seeing the results of mouth cancer on a man here in Tennessee. When the cutting was done he had lost his lips, cheek, and part of his jaw. I aint no handsome man but I'd like to at least keep my face in tact.

Step away from that shit boys. It's poison and will kill about half of the people that use it. I'm done preaching to you and will leave you with this. If your gonna be stupid, then you'd better be tough.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Started back in 1975 in high school with Skoal at about 50 cents a can, would buy a roll of 10 cans and stick them in the freezer.

Went off and on with this awful habit until I was 40 years old, smoked cigarettes for several years as well.

Cigarettes are easier to quit. I could chew anywhere and nobody knew. I never had to spit, just kept enjoying that flavor anywhere, anytime. I couldn't understand the young dudes who spit into bottles and cups, very disgusting! No need to have that shit where it would disgust others and then somebody would pick the wrong beer bottle and that warm spit would go sliding down some poor suckers throat. At parties, it sometimes would be a innocent girl who suffered this bad experience.

Anyway, I once loved the stuff but I'm sure glad I found the strength to quit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top