Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/14/2011 7:05:57 AM EDT
VA is the Biggest Police State I have ever seen. Why do they act like that. I traveled through there over the weekend and  have never seen so many LEO on the highway hiding behind bushes trying to catch out of towners. I DID NOT GET STOPPED but Dang! What is the deal?
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Arizona is a lot like that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#3]
we dont like outsiders and take a hard line against speeders from out of town.

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, the VSP is perhaps second only to the NJ goosesteppers in terms of paramilitaryness.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a little bit more to a "police state" than a cop running radar.

When they haul you from the car, shoot you in the back of the head then hang your body from a light pole, get back to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Cash Rules Everything Around Me
CREAM, get the money. Dolla dolla bill y'all
- The Wu Tang Clan

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]
They (Virginia State Police and some local LE) seem to do this in waves. They have been out a lot lately, and with the warmer weather they are out more on motorcycles as well. The locals have been in my neighborhood almost every other morning for the last 10 days or so. I've seen more VSP out doing what appears to be traffic enforcement as well.

They're not unique. I drove up north a couple months ago and Maryland was crawling with them, too, while the other states were not. They go on random blitzkriegs to keep you worried all the time and deter you from speeding all the time.

ETA: If you're driving in VA regularly, you would do well to memorize and observe the reckless driving statute, which is basically 20 or more over the limit, or 80mph anywhere (meaning that you only get a 15mph grace in a 65, and only 10mph in the 70mph zones). Some officers and I would say most troopers won't even stop you, or won't hammer you to hard, unless you're at the reckless level or close to it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
$$$$$$

The ban on radar detectors is an indicator of their mindset. Ridiculous that you are specifically prohibited to intercept public air/radio waves, for whatever purpose. The public airwaves are not the jurisdiction of the state government.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$$$$$$

The ban on radar detectors is an indicator of their mindset. Ridiculous that you are specifically prohibited to intercept public air/radio waves, for whatever purpose. The public airwaves are not the jurisdiction of the state government.

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$$$$$$

That argument's already been tried and been appealed, a long time ago, through the Virginia Supreme Court and possibly federal courts as well. It's a no go. Not saying I personally disagree with you, but it's not going to work legally.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Not sure who called out the troops... Atty. Gen Cuccinelli??

They were all over the place this morning too.  ... and I commute at 4AM till 5AM..

Not normally like that.

Even saw the locals out in force in Warrenton. 3 cars. One had a commuter pulled over.

-3D
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is a little bit more to a "police state" than a cop running radar.

When they haul you from the car, shoot you in the back of the head then hang your body from a light pole, get back to me.

It's gonna be hard to get back to you if he's hanging dead from a light pole with a GSW to the head, don't you think?

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#14]
VA is a police state? When I was passing thru TN I would see Stateys lined up on I-40 Just waiting to catch a speeder. I'd see when go off with their lights and 4 more on "standby" waiting for their turn. Travel down the interstate a few more miles an there are another 4 smokeys waiting for some prey. The only other place I've see that bad was DE in their speed traps. I was glad to when I go crossed the border into friendly territory.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ETA: If you're driving in VA regularly, you would do well to memorize and observe the reckless driving statute, which is basically 20 or more over the limit, or 80mph anywhere (meaning that you only get a 15mph grace in a 65, and only 10mph in the 70mph zones). Some officers and I would say most troopers won't even stop you, or won't hammer you to hard, unless you're at the reckless level or close to it.

Yup, many locals don't even know this...  The speed limit was pushed up, and the reckless driving statute remained static.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you insane???  Maybe you should move to DC or MD...
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

$$$$$$

I never thought of it like that before, the government acting like it owns electromagnetic radiation. Around here, the government owns the rain...

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
VA is the Biggest Police State I have ever seen. Why do they act like that. I traveled through there over the weekend and  have never seen so many LEO on the highway hiding behind bushes trying to catch out of towners. I DID NOT GET STOPPED but Dang! What is the deal?

How do you know they were looking for out of towners if you didnt get stopped?
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#19]
When traffic is wizzing bye at 75MPH, I really don't think the trooper in the interstate median is really able to make out different state license plates.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Feel free not to visit again.

Have a great day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I assume you are referring to the VSP out by Bristol?  I got pulled on I-81 doing 12 over a few years ago.  Traffic was doing a solid 10-15 over the limit, but I was a convenient target, so I got lased.  Didn't seem to care that I was just getting home from Iraq.  OFW.  

It's tax collecting..... pure and simple.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You must never have driven in the NE part of the country.

This is just crazy talk. Every time I go back down south to see my fam,I have to remind myself repeatedly that "this isn't MA/CT/NY anymore".

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Arizona is a lot like that.

Yup...we do whatever it takes to keep those "California" people out of Arizona    

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#24]
how bout just not speeding? Obviously you were doing that without the cops, but I could care less if they sit every mile. I do my best not to speed
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

how bout just not speeding? Obviously you were doing that without the cops, but I could care less if they sit every mile. I do my best not to speed

Out west you'd never get anywhere.

Luckily speed limits in SW TX are 75-80

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yeah, the VSP is perhaps second only to the NJ goosesteppers in terms of paramilitaryness.

Virginia state troopers are some of the most fair LEOs you'll find IMO. VSP is held to a high standard and their professionalism reflects that.

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You get as the VSP I've interacted with over the years, have always put the NJSP to shame with their professionalism.

You get because you equate "paramilitary" with lack of professionalism.  The VSP are probably one of the most serious, and professional, state police units in the country, but they are probably also the most "military" in terms of uniforms, discipline, not cutting any breaks, etc.  They aren't to be F'd with and that's one reason not to drive like a buffoon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cash Rules Everything Around Me

CREAM, get the money. Dolla dolla bill y'all

- The Wu Tang Clan  

Exactly.  I've noticed it here too.  City, county and state govts are all out of money and people are not willing to pay more in taxes.  So fuck you, you won't pay us more taxes, we'll just force the police to do our dirty work for us.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Didn't VA change their traffic laws a year or two ago so that they could hammer residents with huge speeding fines? I'm pretty sure that non residents were fined at a lower level.

The law was recalled and the money refunded.  VA residents had to pay $ks in additional fines for their tickets, I beleive it was for people that already had a bad driving record but I'm not sure.  A coworker had to pay abouit $1500 on top of a speeding ticket IIRC.  I never heard it was refunded but that is what the news reported...
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't just whine about it.

Do something!
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Didn't VA change their traffic laws a year or two ago so that they could hammer residents with huge speeding fines?  I'm pretty sure that non residents were fined at a lower level.

That got repealed, or maybe a court threw it out.  I can't remember which.

Every 2-3 months VSP has an "enforcement weekend" where they'll crack down hard on traffic violators.  If you run CB you'll get warned about them well in advance of the VA state line from the truck drivers who just left the state.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've driven the east coast, SC to Northern ME, numerous times and Maryland and Virgina are the worst by far.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Va is beautiful but it is a police state, I lived there for 22 years. The state troopers are usually very professional, it was typically county police looking to bust you for stupid county sticker bs and other insignificant crap. To be fair, most of the officers weren't too bad, it is just an oppressive gov't there. The courts and bureaucracy are horrible. Fairfax county was the  worst I ever had to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I run a radar detector installed in a "stealth" way (remote display and remote controlled) in Virginia. It's alerted me many times to cops so it's paid for itself many times over. If I were somehow caught with it (the cop would have to KNOW i had one, and I turn it off remotely without moving a muscle when I see a cop) I would gladly pay the $40 fine for having a radar detector.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Virginia state troopers are some of the most fair LEOs you'll find IMO. VSP is held to a high standard and their professionalism reflects that.

+1

They are down right cool compared to Fairfax and Arlington PD.  Atleast VASP doesn't waste their time giving road side lectures about how you should feel bad for speeding and how you are a danger to society.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$$$$$$

That argument's already been tried and been appealed, a long time ago, through the Virginia Supreme Court and possibly federal courts as well. It's a no go. Not saying I personally disagree with you, but it's not going to work legally.

cite?  I don't recall any federal case regarding VA and CT's ban on radar detectors, and I *suspect* that if it ever made it there, it would be overturned, because regulation of the airwaves and devices that use them is generally the purview of the FCC, not the state.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Did I get in on one?

IBTL
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#40]
I got hit going 7 over in a 55, right as it changed from a 65 (I.E. I was going 62 mph at the sign) in the HOV lane. Our nice friendly Virginia Trooper cared not that the highway was essentially empty, that the conditions were as perfect as they can be for good driving, or that I had tires with less than 1500 miles on them on a brand new AWD car. Nope, I was clearly a danger to society and myself at that point in time, and the ticket had nothing to do with generating money. Frankly, I'm glad that he stopped me, and his buddies stopped 8 other cars in the next 2 miles for the same thing that I saw... if they weren't there, I might have flipped my car into an orphanage!

Quoted:
Feel free not to visit again.

Have a great day.

If you think I ever want to visit Virginia again you are sadly mistaken. That whole state has been going the way of California anyway. But keep telling yourself that it's wonderful as it slides further down.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I've driven the east coast, SC to Northern ME, numerous times and Maryland and Virgina are the worst by far.

I've done the opposite direction, from Northern New Hamphire to Georgia a number of times. Virginia is in its own league as the worst by far. NY State has its share too. Honestly, I think CT is the best as far as the police doing their job of ensuring safety, and not trying to earn money just to continue their own existance. They'll get you in an instant if you're driving dangerously in CT, but I've had friends get pulled over for simple mistakes and given verbal warnings when the officer figured out it was just a lapse in judgement, and they were unlikely to constitute an actual danger to society. I've rarely ever heard of an out of towner given a warning in Virginia.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#41]

A few occurrences of good and bad.....none of which were fair:

1.  Trooper said I was doing 90 and gaining.  He was sitting in my farm entrance....I immediately pulled in.  Admitted I had been doing 10 over, but was decelerating to turning into MY drive way.  That lil Stanza couldn't do 90+ and now way I could have executed a 90 degree turn into my driveway at the alleged speed....he said we was going easy and wouldn't take me to jail.....that was my first ticket in 10 yrs of driving. I gave the court a physics lesson and got off.

2. I was doing 10mph on an unmarked country road (had a load on my pickup).  Went around a curve and gravel from someones driveway was all in the road.  I loss control and flipped the truck.  Again reckless, b/c trooper said he couldn't explain the accident.

3.  As a teen, left a pool party on night and forgot my wallet and came upon a road block.  I explain I had left  my license.  Trooper tells me to get license and registration.  I informed that I was going to the glove box to the registration and repeated that I didn't have my licenses...he proceeds to grab his sidearm and tell me to take it easy .  After he looks at the documents he pulls me out of the car by the ear and puts me on the hood and frisks me.  I then go into his car and he interogates me and runs a background check....all is cool, but he gives me a ticket anyway.  I was yes sir/no sir compliant the entire time.   I produce a license the next day and again it's all dropped.

4.  I once had a state job and was running late for a meeting in a .gov plated car...doing 73 in a 55; he didn't even ask for ID.....got off without incidient.  Who you are matters.

These are my only dealings with VA State Troopers.......never had a problem with other departments.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#42]
C-P,
Considering we get Shall Issue CCW and NFA, I highly doubt we are headed the way of California.  

Don't want to pay the "revenue", don't speed.

And yes I have been known to have a lead foot and have had to pay one ticket in the 12 years I have been here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would agree with that- and I've had lots of negative dealings with LEOs in general.  The VSP are good to go on my list.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Va is beautiful but it is a police state, I lived there for 22 years. The state troopers are usually very professional, it was typically county police looking to bust you for stupid county sticker bs and other insignificant crap. To be fair, most of the officers weren't too bad, it is just an oppressive gov't there. The courts and bureaucracy are horrible. Fairfax county was the  worst I ever had to deal with.

Northern Virginia has almost nothing in common with much of the rest of the state
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Everytime I drive through VA it is like that...which is everytime I go visit ANYONE in my Family (TN or KY)

Holidays are horrible, literally 10-15 troopers within 10 miles of the State line...miracle that I haven't gotten a bullshit ticket there...good thing my desk is made of wood.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#47]
I traveled through there over the weekend and  have never seen so many LEO on the highway hiding behind bushes trying to catch out of towners.

How did you know who their target was? Was there a billboard announcing it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Between FL and CT I see more law enforcement in VA then in all the other states combined. Its nuts

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#49]
In on one?
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top