Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2002 5:10:51 PM EDT
I've noticed alot of night vision products by Tasco, Bushnell and Night Owl??  

I'm looking to purchase one of these for 200.00 or less.  I know the quality isn't going to be anything like the movies and these will prob be Gen 1 quality, but does anyone have any experience w/these or others??

All comments appreciated.

scottMO
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to CDNNINVESTMENTS.com they have some good stuff cheap,when i get my paycheck in i plan on getting one of the self charging monoculars,doesnt ever need batteries!
Goodluck and please do a follow up post and tell me if you bought anything please
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've noticed alot of night vision products by Tasco, Bushnell and Night Owl??  

I'm looking to purchase one of these for 200.00 or less.  I know the quality isn't going to be anything like the movies and these will prob be Gen 1 quality, but does anyone have any experience w/these or others??

All comments appreciated.

scottMO
View Quote

I have used the Night Owl and would not waste my money on it.  

medcop
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I happen to have a Night Owl Cyclops Compact sitting in it's padded case in front of me....want it for cheap? Why spend $200! Seriously make me an offer and it's yours!
[img]http://www.nightowloptics.com/images/nocc3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
expect quality on par with that of a poor quality flashlight.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup, those 1st Gen.'s are pretty sucky, more of a novelty than an actual tool.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Search the FDA's website, when the first russian stuff started coming in, they were siezed at dockside repeatedly for allowing prohibited emission of x-rays through the eyepiece.  FDA reports on the site stated "field correction initiated by manufacturer" as corrective action for most of the siezures.  There weren't any later than 1996, but why take the chance?  I may hav saved some of it, I'll browse my hard drive and post if I can find it.

I sold my Night Owl when I found that and got a PVS-2 cheap from a friend.  It's bulky for observation, but workable if you aren't carrying it i.e. using it from a vehicle or fixed OP.  And the image quality and light magnification is much better.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I found it.  From FDA website downloaded in year 2000.
PRODUCT Niks Night Vision Monocular with Laser Illuminator, night vision scope with laser illuminator. Recall #Z-331-6. CODE None. MANUFACTURER International Sourcing, Inc., Fort Wayne, Indiana. RECALLED BY Manufacturer. FDA approved the firm's corrective action plan January 5, 1996. Firm- initiated field corrections ongoing. DISTRIBUTION Nationwide. QUANTITY Nationwide. REASON The laser product failed to comply with the Federal laser product performance standard, 21 CFR 1010.2, 21 CFR 1010.3, 21 CFR 1040.10(f)(3), 21 1040.10(f)(4), 21 CFR 1040.10(f)(5)ii, 21 CFR 1040.10(f)(6), 21 CFR 1040.10(g)(2)(iii), 21 CFR 1040.10(g)(5), 21 CFR 1040.10(h)(1)(iii). These are violations of the labeling and performance requirements of the laser standard. Also the Niks Nights -9- Vision Monocular is defective under 21 CFR 1003.2, in that it emits 13-20 kev x-rays at a rate of 3.5 mR/hr, which are not required to accomplish its intended purpose.
PRODUCT Night Vision Image Intensifiers, Model T3C-3, used for viewing objects and persons in subdued lighting. Recall #Z-565-4. CODE Model T3C-3. MANUFACTURER Manufacturing Networks, Inc., San Francisco, California. -18- RECALLED BY Manufacturer. FDA approved the firm's corrective action plan March 25, 1994. Firm-initialed field correction ongoing. DISTRIBUTION Nationwide. QUANTITY 125 units. REASON Products emitted x-radiation that is unnecessary to the accomplishment of the purpose of the product, and creates a risk of injury to users.
PRODUCT Night Vision Image Intensifiers, Model T3C2, used for viewing objects and persons in subdued lighting. Recall #Z-621-4. CODE Model T3C-2. MANUFACTURER Market Resourcing International, Dallas, Texas. RECALLED BY Manufacturer. FDA approved the firm's corrective action plan April 8, 1994. Firm-initiated field correction ongoing. DISTRIBUTION Nationwide. QUANTITY 11 units. REASON Products emitted x-radiation that is unnecessary to the accomplishment of the purpose of the product, and creates a risk of injury to users.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Continued.....
PRODUCT Night Vision Image Intensifiers, Models T3C-2 and T3C-3, used in viewing objects and persons in subdued lighting. Recall #Z-927/928-4. CODE None. MANUFACTURER Novosibirsk Instrument Making Plant Novosibirsk, Russian Federation. RECALLED BY Intertech (Advanced International Technologies), North Kingstown, Rhode Island (importer). FDA approved the firm's corrective action plan May 17, 1994. Firm-initiated field correction ongoing. DISTRIBUTION Nationwide. QUANTITY 79 units. REASON Products emitted x-radiation that is unnecessary to the accomplishment of the purpose of the product, and creates a risk of injury to users.
PRODUCT Night Vision Image Intensifiers, Model T3C-2, used for viewing objects and persons in subdued lighting. Recall #Z-748-4. CODE Model T3C-2. MANUFACTURER Novosibirsk Instrument Making Plant, in Novosibirsk Russian Federation. RECALLED BY Sentinel Electronics, Bristol, Pennsylvania (importer). FDA approved the firm's corrective action plan April 18, 1994. Firm-initiated field correction ongoing. DISTRIBUTION Nationwide. QUANTITY 16 units. REASON Product contains a radiation defect, in that the products emit x-radiation that is unnecessary to the accomplishment of the purpose of the product, and create a risk of
PRODUCT Night Vision Image Intensifiers, Model T3C-2 and Model T3C- 3, used for viewing objects and persons in subdued lighting. Recall #Z-210/211-4. CODE Models T3C-2 and T3C-3. MANUFACTURER Beach Trading Corporation, Virginia Beach, Virginia. RECALLED BY Manufacturer. FDA approved the firm's corrective action plan December 15, 1993. Firm-initiated field correction ongoing. DISTRIBUTION Nationwide. QUANTITY 235 units. REASON Products emitted x-radiation that is unnecessary to the accomplishment of the purpose of the product and creates a risk of injury to users.

I haven't checked to see it there are any new ones.  But as you can see, the units had problems in the past, and I for one did not want to trust that the gubmint solved the problem.

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, I sent an email to Nite Owl.  They did not return it.  I sent one more, detailed here (cut and paste):I still have not yet recieved an answer to my previous email.  My question was:
What modifications where done to this design to address the well documented emission of dangerous X-rays through the eyepiece while operating this device?  

See FDA Recall #Z-748-4.
Product:  Night Vision Image Intensifiers.
Manufacturer: Novosibirsk Instrument Making Plant, Russian Federation.
Reason:  Product contains a radiation defect, in that it emits x-radiation that is unecessary to the accomplishment of the purpose of the product, and creates a risk of injury to the user.

Other recalls state: "emits 13-20 kev of x-rays at a rate of 3.5 Mr/hr"...a violation of 21 CFR 1003.2.

These recalls and seizures where in 93-96.  I assume since there haven't been any since then, that they have been redesigned to address the problem.  I would like details on what was done to ensure compliance.  I found out about these issues AFTER purchasing my NOCC2 and now I do not feel comfortable using it.

Please respond soon.  I really enjoy this unit, but failing a response that assures me it has been designed to avoid x-ray emission, I WILL be returning it.
Thank you.

They replied to this one with a canned lawyer satisfying answer to the effect of "our products meet all applicable laws and regulations.  Thank you."

Are they safe now?  I dunno!  But hopefully this is helpful to you and others on the board.

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone tried the Bushnell or Tasco versions?

scottMO
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Look into AMT. Their Gen I scopes run about $550. I dont think you will find anything of quality for $200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top