Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2002 2:18:41 PM EDT
I had the misfortune of working the North end switch job at Stacy Yard in Seattle, near Safeco field, on the same Saturday afternoon that a Mariners game was beginning. Sports drones, errr, I mean fans, must be amongst some of the least evolved humans in existence. Here I am working with thousands of tons of rail equipment and these people are running around and crawling through it, even WHILE IT IS STILL IN MOTION. I actually shattered my lantern on the side of one car who's driver though it more important for him to risk life and limb, both mine and his, to get through a crossing we had already begun to occupy than wait a while or find another route. Fortunately, we managed to not mangle anyone that day. Probably moreso to my vigillance than any sort of measurable intelligence or common sense on their part. Just makes me question the intelligence of sports drones, errr, I mean fans, though. Perhaps they are some sort of sub-human species.

Anywho, as I'm going about my work, I notice how many cargo jets are inbound to land at Boeing Field a little ways to the South. The flight path is right over Safeco Field, now crowded with thousands of sports drones, errr, I mean fans. I ponder how difficult it would be for a terrorist to hijack a cargo plane and crash it into a crowded stadium of sports drones, errr, I mean fans. I can't imagine that even with the new security measures, it probably wouldn't be too difficult for someone to commandeer a large cargo jet and use it as a weapon. I further ponder if this thought even occurs to the sports drones, errr, I mean fans as they congregate. Probably not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess the sports drones, errr, I mean fans, are alot like the colt drones, errr, I mean fans.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
As a smarter-than-average sports drone, errr, fan, I stay away from the train tracks.  As for the others... I suppose it's natural selection in action, although I sure as hell don't want to be around to see it.  People need to keep an eye on the kids, especially.  Someone getting mangled as I watched would really ruin my gameday experience.  [:(]

As for the airplanes going into Boeing Field - anyone with that kind of idea will be headed towards downtown, right by the Columbia Tower first... not that anyone would ever think of that sort of thing.  The thought has occured to me, but you know, I could get killed walking across the street to drop my mail in the box, too.  Maybe stadium security should have a couple of guys with Stingers sitting on the roof... [:|]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
this is the age old go to the castle or go to the hills question.  their is safety in the castle but it's a primary target.  their is no safety in the hills but hey have to find you.

to answer your question, no. the drones dont know or care they are in a primary target
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess the sports drones, errr, I mean fans, are alot like the colt drones, errr, I mean fans.
View Quote

I would have to respectfully disagree. Unlike Bushmaster drones, err, I mean fans, us Colt guys have higher standards and won't accept poorly built, functionally-challenged rifles. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As for the airplanes going into Boeing Field - anyone with that kind of idea will be headed towards downtown, right by the Columbia Tower first... not that anyone would ever think of that sort of thing.
View Quote

Yes, but which target would produce higher casualties? The Columbia Tower on even the busiest of workdays or a packed Safeco Field?

As a railroader, another thought that concerns me is the possible detonation of rail cars containing explosive or poisonous materials in the vicinity downtown Seattle. You do know those are main lines that run right under the overhanging retractable roof at Safeco Field, don't you? Imagine a huge, dense cloud of chlorine gas wafting through the crowds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess the sports drones, errr, I mean fans, are alot like the colt drones, errr, I mean fans.
View Quote

I would have to respectfully disagree. Unlike Bushmaster drones, err, I mean fans, us Colt guys have higher standards and won't accept poorly built, functionally-challenged rifles. [:)]
View Quote

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. I am not just a bushy drone, err, I mean fan. I have several different brands of AR's, including a colt. I would say I am a thinking, err, I mean informed AR fan who does'nt see the need to pay extra just for a certain brand name. I have or have owned four bushys (two are prebans) and NONE of them were "poorly built" or "functionally challenged". They function every bit as good as my colt. Your blind devotion to the pony is your business, but don't try to tell me my rifles are not as good as yours just because they are not "colts"
[:D] [:D] [:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As for the airplanes going into Boeing Field - anyone with that kind of idea will be headed towards downtown, right by the Columbia Tower first... not that anyone would ever think of that sort of thing.
View Quote

Yes, but which target would produce higher casualties? The Columbia Tower on even the busiest of workdays or a packed Safeco Field?

As a railroader, another thought that concerns me is the possible detonation of rail cars containing explosive or poisonous materials in the vicinity downtown Seattle. You do know those are main lines that run right under the overhanging retractable roof at Safeco Field, don't you? Imagine a huge, dense cloud of chlorine gas wafting through the crowds.
View Quote

I've mailed your suggestion in to [email protected] .  If he picks it, you'll get a free Slushee at any participating Quik-E-Mart!  Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Leave it to SPECTRE or estoner to turn ANY thread into a Colt vs Bushmaster contest. You two really are one of a kind. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've mailed your suggestion in to [email protected] .  If he picks it, you'll get a free Slushee at any participating Quik-E-Mart!  Good luck!!!
View Quote

Just my luck, there aren't any Quik-E-Marts in my area. Any chance of requesting a free Slurpee from the local 7-11? [:)]

By the way, the idea of terrorists detonating a railcar of chlorine near what was then the Kingdome was first brought to my attention in an article in the PI about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Boomer, I can relate.  We used to do a lot of switching in downtown Madison here in WI when the main yard was there, and the yard was smack in the middle of campus.  The kids have no clue....head down, earphones and backpack.  I used to hate it when I had to make a big shove and look down past the end of the train.....and some idiot is walking down the track I am on, away from the train, head down, no clue there is a train coming at him/her.

The flip side of the coin, is the scenery.  Oh yeah!  My personal record is SEVEN girls flashing me in SEVEN dorm windows at the same time. Nice!    

We still switch there but now it's only coal loads in and empties out at the campus coal fired generating plant.  The "heater" is right off the where the old yard was (now the "mini yard"...railroaders and nicknames eh?)  To switch it, you have to go into the switch and over the first crossing just off the switch with lights but only an island circuit, then another switch between 1 and 2 track, now you start down a very steep grade and a curve so tight that you have trouble lining couplers, then over another crossing over the four lane main campus street (again no gates, just lights with an island circuit).  The two tracks continue down the hill/curve into the plant just past the crossing, spot three cars on the inside track, four cars on the outside track, and three at the top of the hill on the outside track between the crossings fouling the 1/2 switch.  Again, this is in the middle of campus.  Cars?  They think the guy with the fusee is for everybody but them.  Bounce a fusee off the windshield, they just keep going!  Hey, look at all the kids climbing through and under the train!  If it's wet, you better lay sand on the shove or you WILL be there awhile.  Especially with 10 loads on that hill and curve, and an old Geep 7 (They are FINALLY going away for a set of 10 GP38's).
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#11]

[OffTopic modeOn]

[b]SPECTRE[/b], changing sigpics is second only to changing signames for confusing the dim-witted among us [:\]

[OffTopic modeOff]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
More Madison stories for Boomer.  Then, there is the infamous "only RR crossing in the middle of a lake", Monona Tower, and five pile bridges out on the lake.  Generally on a nice day, there are 50-75 people trespassing out there on the main track fishing off the bridges.  It's yard limits, but as you know that rule states "men" which is defined in the GCOR glossary as "railroad employees" which RWPA further states are identified by the highly visible vest and hardhat.  During the summer, this track sees about 8 moves a day (two industry jobs each way, a through freight each way, and a unit ballast train for the UP with all UP equipment each way.  The UP loads are generally in the 8-10 thousand ton range.  These train are constantly having to plug it out there when they don't get out of the way.  We call the cops time and again.  The MTO is out there constantly.  Our Company lawyer is involved.  We have had traincrews in fistfights!  They will come out and chase people off, but real enforcement (prosecution of the offenders) is not done.  We got as far as the City Council, and they claimed that our desire for them to simply enforce the law was actually us showing racism, because many of the fisherman were Laotians, and they "shouldn't be deprived of cultural subsistence".

They passed a whistle ban (which we fought against) because of one stinking crazy old woman, (who since was arrested for verbally assaulting a conductor who was trying to switch an industry near her house!!!!!).  So on top of all this, you can't blow the whistle either "unless in an emergency".  Since then, we keep smacking cars.  Go figure.  

I needed some overtime and we are short on crews, so the MTO and I worked a UP ballast load from where we relieved the AM crew at Merrimac to UP Janesville.  We blew a long blast on the whistle at Monona Tower to get all the fishermen moving, then I called the cops to explain why we had to blow the whistle.  Don't know if they came out or not, but the MTO was hanging out the window yelling "the cops are on the way, better pack up and get outta here".

Yup, this is Madison.  What a communist Utopia.  I do not miss working there!    
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Leave it to SPECTRE or estoner to turn ANY thread into a Colt vs Bushmaster contest. You two really are one of a kind. [:)]
View Quote

It's no contest, I just posted a light hearted comment followed by the [;)] "winky winky" [;)] icon which you obviously misunderstood. IIRC, you have done the same thing in several other posts. And I did'nt bring up bushmaster, you did.
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey man, I'll be at the game tomorrow!  I hope you save me from myself and as for the others who's lives you so selflessly saved...[size=5]GOOD FOR YOU![/size=5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey man, I'll be at the game tomorrow!  I hope you save me from myself and as for the others who's lives you so selflessly saved...[size=5]GOOD FOR YOU![/size=5]
View Quote

That's too funny!  But Boomer does have a point.  I don't think these people realize how difficult they are making the lives of others.  If they did know, I'd bet most wouldn't care.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hope you save me from myself and as for the others who's lives you so selflessly saved...
View Quote

Actually, there's nothing selfless about it. I could personally really care less if some sports nut dashes in front of a train and get splattered all because they were in a hurry to buy overpriced beer and watch a bunch a spoiled millionares hit a ball with a stick.

It's just that the ensuing paperwork is such a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#17]
If they are not an Armalite then aren't they just a prancing pony clone?

Bob     [:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope you save me from myself and as for the others who's lives you so selflessly saved...
View Quote

Actually, there's nothing selfless about it. I could personally really care less if some sports nut dashes in front of a train and get splattered all because they were in a hurry to buy overpriced beer and watch a bunch a spoiled millionares hit a ball with a stick.

It's just that the ensuing paperwork is such a bitch.
View Quote

Yes, but you would be doing the whole world a favor -- one less idiot to vote for another new pair of stadiums once Paul Allen gets tired of holding one soccer match per year at his "football and soccer" stadium.  Remember, we NEED a new purpose-built soccer stadium so that the sight lines will be ideal for the fans' enjoyment of the game.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL SPECTRE=estoner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

I am looking for a NIB or 99% blue label govt carbine, raised fence factory drilled for pushpin and detent. Small sear block pin on one side only. Would also consider a green label govt carbine that has raised fence.
Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely see the reason why you wouldn't need to pay extra just for a certain brand name.

LOL again!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Boomer - you're my hero.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL SPECTRE=estoner

Quoted:

I am looking for a NIB or 99% blue label govt carbine, raised fence factory drilled for pushpin and detent. Small sear block pin on one side only. Would also consider a green label govt carbine that has raised fence.
Thanks

I completely see the reason why you wouldn't need to pay extra just for a certain brand name.

LOL again!
View Quote

So...whats your point diss ??  I deleted that post over a week ago after I found what I wanted. Soooo, where did you get that "quote" from ?? hmmmmm, you would'nt be saving my posts to go trolling would ya diss ?? gee, I'm flattered.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Well SPEC-stoner as if you didn't know. I pulled the quote from where your alter ego quoted your remark. That's the thing about electronic communication it doesn't just go away! And my point is that you are not true to your ongoing Bushy vs. Colt TROLLING.

Tastes Great ---------- Less Filling

[img]www.midsouthcatfishing.com/boatfish.gif[/img]

[:K][:D][;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top