Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2002 10:12:44 AM EDT
I friend of mine just got hit.  Where can I send him for the clean up program for it?  It is the W32/Klez.h@mm strain.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
No shit!  Wow he is going to love to hear that.  And he laughed when I told him to update his virus program.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Symantec has a detection/removal tool that supposedly works on several of the varieties of the Klez virus. YMMV.

[url]securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information guys...  I will forward it to him and hope it does the trick.  Glad I still have 106 days of free upgrades for my virus scan.

John
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The virus can be removed manually.
[url]http://virusall.com/remkleze.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.  He said it worked.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#8]
[url]www.sophos.com[/url]

, Click Downloads, Click Products & Updates, I would like to evaluate Sophos (continue to fill out country code/address)

THIS LINK WORKS FOR:

All Windows OS, NetWare, OpenVMS, OS/2, Unix, Macintosh, & Emergency SAV distribution (DOS)

Below is a description of this likely problem/virus:

W32/Klez-G
Type

Win32 executable file virus

Detection

A virus identity file (IDE) file which provides protection is available now from the Latest virus identities section, and is incorporated into the March 2002 (3.55) release of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Sophos has received several reports of this virus from the wild.

Description

Please note: Some customers have received this virus as an attachment to an email claiming to contain disinfection tools from Sophos for the W32/Elkern virus (the email calls it "W32.Elkern").

We can confirm that the infected file does not originate from Sophos and we recommend users do not open/launch unsolicited executable attachments.

W32/Klez-G is a Win32 worm that carries a compressed copy of the W32/ElKern-B virus, which it drops and executes when the worm is run.

This worm searches for email address entries in the Windows address book but uses its own mailing routine.

The email will have the following characteristics:

Subject line: either random or chosen from the list

How are you
Let's be friends
Darling
Don't drink too much
Your password
Honey
Some questions
Please try again
Welcome to my hometown
the Garden of Eden
introduction on ADSL
Meeting notice
Questionnaire
Congratulations
Sos!
japanese girl VS playboy
Look,my beautiful girl friend
Eager to see you
Spice girls' vocal concert
Japanese lass' sexy pictures

Message text: Message text is randomly composed by the worm but the message can also be without a text.

Attached file: Randomly named with extension .PIF, .SCR, .EXE or .BAT.

The sender address which appears in a message is chosen from a list inside the virus.

W32/Klez-G attempts to disable several anti-virus products and delete some anti-virus related files.

The worm attempts to exploit a MIME vulnerability in some versions of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and Internet Explorer to allow the executable file to run automatically without the user double-clicking on the attachment. Microsoft has issued a patch which secures against this vulnerability which can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-027.asp.
(This patch fixes a number of vulnerabilities in Microsoft's software, including the one exploited by this worm.)

W32/Klez-G may also spread to remote shares on other machines using random filenames.

It copies itself to the Windows System directory with a random filename. The worm will set the registry key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\  to point to the worm file, so that the file is run on Windows startup.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top