Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2002 8:39:40 AM EDT
[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42867-2002May6.html[/url]

The California board members might find this interesting...

Enron Corp. manipulated the                California electricity market with              such maneuvers as transferring                  energy outside the state to evade                 price caps and creating phony                  "congestion" on power lines,                   according to internal Enron                   documents released yesterday.
View Quote

Enron and their bedfellows at Andersen - Corporate Pillars of goodness.....[puke]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I would withhold your judgement about whether Enron really munipulated the engergy prices or not. They could be just complying with the law. Very often the reporters get it wrong.

The Calif. power dereg law is very complex piece of legislation written by people who don't know anything about complex market of  supplying and/or buying electrical power. The legislators(both Republicans and Democrats) were looking for free rides and votes, the Republicans wanted cheap power for the power intensive manufacturing companies, and the Democrats wanted cheap power for their consistituents.

In the early days of the Calif power crisis, the L.A. Dept. of Water & Power was selling electrical power to the Calif. grid because they never went the deregulation route and had plenty of power to sell, was also accused of jacking up the rates and making excessive profits; but they were just complying with the law. You don't hear those accusations anymore because the news reporters got it wrong.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds more like that bastid Gov. Davis is still trying to find someone to blame it on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds more like that bastid Gov. Davis is still trying to find someone to blame it on.
View Quote

Our "pal" Gov. "Gray-out" Davis is going down the tubes because of the Calif. power crisis and the Oracle sofware contract controvery. During the height of the power crisis Gov. Davis still manage to pass more stringent gun control measures, even though we were up to our eyeballs in debt. To the Democrats, more gun control laws, is a very important item. This is going to be Davis' downfall in Nov 2002.

Check out the links:
[url]http://www.kfwb.com/news_local.asp?displayOption=&contentGUID={31AC6AF1-FD91-45A1-ADFC-009304F89C59}&groupName=KFWB News Local Headlines&siteGUID={3B62BF55-4A93-48E6-A45D-6A495DC423AD}[/url]
Overall, 49 percent of Californians surveyed disapproved of Gov. Gray Davis' performance while 42 percent approved. That's down from the first two years of his tenure when his favorable ratings ranged from 56 percent to 61 percent.

[url]http://www.kfwb.com/news_local.asp?displayOption=&contentGUID={6C4D27D6-22EC-4DAB-8F82-EFFB0934F9EB}&groupName=KFWB News Local Headlines&siteGUID={3B62BF55-4A93-48E6-A45D-6A495DC423AD}[/url]
Oracle Software contract controversy
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a big difference between legal and illegal manipulation. Every thing you hear or read fits into these catagories:

1- What the person(s) want you to hear.
2- What the person(s) think you want to hear.
3- The truth.

You don't hear the truth much any more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Regardless, [red]Red Davis[/red] is a major league AHOLE!  Oracle's gonna bring him down!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
BULLSHIT Democrats just looking for a scapegoat.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
i won't be a bit surprised to find out that Enron wasn't complying with the law.  they weren't exactly law-abiding in their accounting or management now, were they?  why should we think that they did anything else legally?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally got Warlord's links working...interesting that Davis claims to know nothing about the contract with Oracle.

Funny how the guys at the top never seem to know whats going on...especially when it might be illegal [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Regarding Oracle, the funny thing is [red]Red's[/red] right handjob man, AG Locky[b]GEEK[/b] is gonna investigate.  How's that for a fair and impartial investigation.  We need Judge Kenneth Starr!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The sad part is that Cali residents are going to blame Enron for their problem and continue on their NIMBY ways. Enron exploited them sure, but that doesn't cause state wide rolling blackouts. The NIMBY's made their bed and now are trying to find others to blame it on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The sad part is that Cali residents are going to blame Enron for their problem and continue on their NIMBY ways. Enron exploited them sure, but that doesn't cause state wide rolling blackouts. The NIMBY's made their bed and now are trying to find others to blame it on.
View Quote

FYI NIMBY=Not In My Back Yard
I think NIMBY is contributing factor, but I really don't know since I'm not in the electrical energy business.  My conclusions are based on the info/BS from the general news media.

ARLady: You are probably correct, we have not got all of the info into the public light, yet. But our big problem will be the Calif. att. gen Bill Lockyer, he is a huge supporter of Gov Davis, and having him investigat the Gov is like asking the fox to guard the chicken coop. Lockyer is definitely not a friend of the gun owner.

Whatever the case, I'm going to help give Mr. Davis the shoe out of Sacramento in the fall. This debacle going to be a great big disappointment for Davis, because he has aspirations of running for president in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top