Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2002 9:01:17 PM EDT
[img]http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/RainierMarch.jpg[/img]
Mt. St. Helens with Mt. Rainier in the background. (March 31, 1980) Photo by U.S. Geological Society.

[url]http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/img_rainier.html[/url]

For the last 100,000 years the rate of erosion, by debris avalanche and glaciers, has been greater than that of the rate of volcano growth.

Mount Rainier is potentially the most dangerous volcano in the Cascades because it is very steep, covered in large amounts of ice and snow, and near a large population that lives in lowland drainages. Numerous debris avalanches start on the volcano. The largest debris avalanche traveled more than 60 miles (100 km) to Puget Sound. The most recent eruption was about 2,200 years ago and covered the eastern half of the park with up to one foot (30 cm) of lapilli, blocks, and bombs.

Mount Rainier is the highest and third most voluminous volcano of the Cascade Range. The main cone of this stratovolcano has formed since 730,000 years ago.

Anyone think we will see this one in our lifetime? Most experts agree this one is due.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy for you to say.  You're on the other side of the country......

Actually, I'm not worried about it and I'm in WA.  If it goes, it goes..... might even take out those liberals on the west....[:O]OH... did I say that.... [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I have Tuesday in the office poll[;)]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
What time is it now?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't matter to me. I am in the blast zone, but I live in the shadow of a hill that would protect me from the initial blast and high enough to dodge the lava flow.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Since I look out my computer desk window and SEE MT. Rainier.........

NO, HELL NO! There is no chance of it poppin! BUT Just in case it does, I will consider that SHTF (technically LHTF), possibly TEOTWAIKI and react accordingly. StHelens dumped as far as 70 miles to the north, which if Rainier, a larger one did the same, I would be toast!

I am gratefull to be surrounded by unarmed kommie liberal sheeple, if I have time, my escape will NOT be hindered at all. Disposal of hinderances will be authorized, and I will expedite bugout!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember flying over Mt. St. Helens about a year after the blast.  As far as you could see it looked like the surface of the moon.  I still have a can of ash from that at my moms house.  People here always whine about earthquakes, but between volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards, give me a good ol' fashioned earth rumbler any day.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Well thank god I'm on the other side of the bay from you CavVet , unfortunately my wife works in Ballard and here I am watching the Discovery channel right now and their talking about super vocanoes !
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I was living in Tacoma when Mt. St. Helen's went. It seemed like Portland got the brunt of the ash compared to Tacoma.

When Rainier goes, so does Puyallup and Tacoma. Both buried under the flow. I think down here in Portland all we'll get is one hell of a show.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]

It's obviously hard to tell when the mountain will pop.  I hope I get to climb it again before that happens.  People have been spouting prophecies every year that it's going to blow.

Most of the cascade volcanoes are still active.  I've been to the top of most and seen the steam.  I even watched St. Helens blow from a distance.  Awe inspiring power!

Then there's the seismic activity...

[url]http://www.geophys.washington.edu/SEIS/PNSN/RAINIER/rainrec_eqs.html[/url]

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't matter to me. I am in the blast zone, but I live in the shadow of a hill that would protect me from the initial blast and high enough to dodge the lava flow.

Kyle
View Quote

...said Harry Truman and his 19 cats.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pyroclastic flows will travel over just about anything...at several hundered miles per hour.

Also, composite volcanoes aren't much in the lava department.  You're gonna mainly get large amounts of ash and superheated gases...don't inhale!
View Quote

Is that what we have Mr Brou? Rainier=composite?
Several hundred mph for how far?

Can you rockolgy guys tell which way the cookie will crumble? While we are here learnin, tell us what we need to know.....

Mortech, tell the wife I will extract her on 99 NB, I will be the one with the stolen metro bus, shovin anything out of my way 2 get thru!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I too hope that I get to climb it again before it goes boom.  The top has some cool steam vents that smell really bad and I can only imagine what the smell would be like if it blew up[:X*].  With all of the ice in those glaciers (1000+? ft in some places) and the ash, there would be a major mud flow to wipe out most of tacoma/seattle, etc.  Just hope there is enough of a warning for the patriots to get out of harms way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
There is never anyway to tell exactly how big "big" is going to be with one of these. St. Helens was not as big a explosion as some of these low lava content volcanoes can get.

Heard of a place called Krakatoa before? Rainer could be THAT big when it blows, or it could be smaller than St. Helens.

Whats the story with Mt Hood? How is its condition?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shhhhhhh. Don't wake her...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Shhhhhhh. Don't wake her...
View Quote

Oh that bad huh?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#18]
rainier is nothing compared to long valley caldera in central california!

20mi long, 15mi wide, and growing vertically in the middle.

also heard a bit of concern on one of the 3 sisters in oregon.(for some reason i think the name 3 sisters is the most sinster name for a volcano...like power of 3 pmsing females)
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As a geologist, I believe that it's just a matter of time until Rainier blows.  And when it does, Seattle will be absolutely decimated.

If the pyroclastic flows don't get them, the ash most likely will.
View Quote

Seattle should be ok;  it's the smaller towns/cities between it and the volcano that will probably be destroyed.  Renton, Auburn, Puyallup, and most especially Orting.

Seattle will get buried under volcanic ash for a few weeks, but we can dig out from that.

We're about due for a major mudflow, though.  Those happen roughly every 500 years, and hit as far north as Renton.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As a geologist, I believe that it's just a matter of time until Rainier blows.  

View Quote

Why do people always say that?  

It's only a matter of time until the "Big One."

It's only a matter of time until the Asteroid hits.

Duh!!  We know "it's only a matter of time."
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I took some time to study some maps of potential mudflows.  I was relieved to see that Olympia was out of that scope, but I'll keep my snow shovel handy for ash though.  I also think my house would also be packed with our homeless pals from Tacoma and Puyallup.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Mortech, tell the wife I will extract her on 99 NB, I will be the one with the stolen metro bus, shovin anything out of my way 2 get thru!
View Quote

LOL.  Maybe Busmaster007 can hook you up legally.

If it happens,  I'm kind of hoping it will take out Kent, WA.  WAAAAY too many Mullets out there...[;)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:42:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I have been thinking about that last night, I think it is going to be soon.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:52:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm living in Auburn now, hopefully by the time it blows I'll move to Virginia or something.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I live in Bellevue (E. Seattle) 4 mon. otta the year.  I will try to dry my tears when Tacoma drops in the sea. I don't care to look it up, but I know that city is right in the path. Yawn.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Living in California, I'll have to say...

I'll take the quake!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Also to add to all this excitement, I was watching SUPERVOLCANOES on Discovery Channel last night.  It was about the Yellowstone Cauldera which is what they termed a SuperVolcanoe. It is 70km long , 30 km wide and 10km deep, nothing but lava. The cauldera erupts every 600,000 years. The time line is this. 2Million years ago, 1.3 million years ago and 640,000 years ago.  The compared it to the last SuperValcanoe eruption 75,000 years ago in the Indian Ocean. It put 18" of ash over a large area.  That one was tiny compared to what the Yellostone Caldera will do.  It will put 2 meters of ash over most of the central United States and make Mt. St. Helans looks like a Lady Finger firecracker.  This is the Valcanoe which is nothing else destroys us , this Valcanoe will. Period . End of story. They mentioned something along the lines of HOUSE sized junks of granite being thrown several hundred miles away. To give you some perspective
Its already past due to erupt. They predict that it will blot out the sunlight the world over for 2 years.. It is extinction level. That last Eruption of this Cauldera is being linked to a massive extinction in human Lineage at that same period in time.  It went something like this. Two seperate groups, the Geologist and the paleontologist. The Palentologist were studying the extinction level event some 600,000 years ago and they just happened to run across the Geologist study of the last Yellowstone Caldera Eruption at the same time. They were stoned and frightened by that prospect.

They noticed that the elevation in that area of Yellowstone has risen 3 feet or roughly one meter in the last 80 years. And current rates of raise are approximately 1" / Annum. Which is double that of the last eighty years. So the increase in elevation is not linear at all. Shit last night I didn't do the fricken math.  I don't know what the maximum height that the region can take is.

Also, they added that it is most likely still 1000's of years away perhaps longer

Ben
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Just glad I live west of there...
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just glad I live west of there...
View Quote

West?  Doesn't CA= California.  If so, you are south of Washington  and Rainier is near Tacoma/Seattle area.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is that what we have Mr Brou? Rainier=composite?
Several hundred mph for how far?

Can you rockolgy guys tell which way the cookie will crumble? While we are here learnin, tell us what we need to know.....

View Quote

While not an official rockology guy, I can tell you this. SOMETIMES you get a warning. Remember when all the scientists arrived for the Mt. St. Helens Barbq? "Quick lets go topside and look into it."

That is called FAIR WARNING. When you see a blurb on the news about scientists and geologist studying Rainiers new activity, it is probably time to get the fuck outta dodge. If lucky you get two whole days to get your crap together.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#32]
In one second!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Yet another reason to update the BOB...
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know about Rainier, but I saw a program on super-volcanos last night on the Discovery channel.
The program focused on the Yellowstone caldera, and if it goes, there are some scientists that believe it would be catastrophic on a planet-wide scale.
Although no one came out and said it, it sounded like they were describing a near ELE.
10,000 times more powerful than St. Helens.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Also to add to all this excitement, I was watching SUPERVOLCANOES on Discovery Channel last night.  It was about the Yellowstone Cauldera which is what they termed a SuperVolcanoe.

Its already past due to erupt. They predict that it will blot out the sunlight the world over for 2 years.. It is extinction level.
View Quote

Does Australia need more C++ programmers??
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#36]
The Discovery channel has predicted 58 of the last 3 natural disasters. [shock]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like someone has watched "Dante's Peak" one too many times.

Yeah, sure, Rainier will probably erupt again at some point. Are the warning signs of an impending eruption there now? I don't think so.

Am I going to sit around and worry about Mt Rainier, Glacier Peak, Mt Baker, or any other dormant volcanoes in the Cascade Range erupting? Will I stop hunting elk of the south side of Rainier? No.

As far as Yellowstone Park blowing up, I hope it doesn't happen before I get a chance to tour it on snowmobile this coming winter. That would be a real bummer, it only having waited 640,000 years instead of 640,001 to explode. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
West?  Doesn't CA= California.  If so, you are south of Washington  and Rainier is near Tacoma/Seattle area.
View Quote

West of Yellowstone. [>:/]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I hope it doesn't explode until after July 2003.  That is when I'm moving back home to Polk County Florida.  It will be a real bummer if goes before then.  The best gunshow is in Puyallup.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#43]
My only real hope would be that Capital Hill in Seattle and the entire staff of The Stranger got wiped out. Kind of that Sodom and Gomorrah thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Stoner...Exactly what do you plan on updating your B.O.B. with, to be used when LHTF???

DH...Mullet/Burr......Tomatoe...Tomato

Boomer...Not that I have any affinity for Cap hill (AKA FXX Mt.)...logistics my friend...

It goes Mt Rainier, ME then Cap hill....

Sorry, NO GO!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.  Maybe Busmaster007 can hook you up legally.

If it happens,  I'm kind of hoping it will take out Kent, WA.  WAAAAY too many Mullets out there...[;)]
View Quote

HEY!!!  I just got home and the first thing I do (besides kiss the wife and kids) is log on and find myself involved in a Volcano Emergency Extraction plan...!
OK.  Count me in.
I'm the FunkyRedHeadedWhiteBoy with the DualMode Coach, and I'm getting us the HELL outta here!
Lock & Load, baby! [;D]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/BusMaster007%2FBusMaster007%2520BREDA%2520MOVING%2Egif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Aw come on Boomer, we're just having a little fun.  
For now anyway...
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My only real hope would be that Capital Hill in Seattle and the entire staff of The Stranger got wiped out. Kind of that Sodom and Gomorrah thing.
View Quote

Uh . . . don't you live in between Rainier and Seattle??  I thought you were a Renton/Kent/Auburn/Puyallup dweller.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#48]
At least there's a chance of escaping from Ranier's peril.

Tell you what - ever hear of a [i]super[/i]volcano? They are essentially underground caverns of concentrated magma pressure that builds over a few centuries, then a burst hole erupts, spewing out the (now) lava at supersonic level speeds, & sending up ash & large chunks of debris (more like land masses). The ground around the blast hole which covers the area of the underground magma pool, then sinks from the loss of underground pressure that supported it. The resulting "crater" that is formed is termed a caldera.

Anyone care to guess why Yellowstone Nat'l Park is so "alive" w/ geologic activity? Mainly because the majority of the park's lies in a giant caldera - one of the biggest known. There are a few others in the world, & all pose devastating potential. The one at Yellowstone is thought to cycle roughly every 600K years, & is due for an "event" sometime in the future, though it maybe about 100K years off - I think.

The devastation of such an event would essentially destroy the N. America population, & the world's bread basket along w/ it. The catastrophic effects are very similar to the famed meteorite event that has been attributed to the demise of prehistoric dino's.

Sorry for the rehash, Brouhaha. Just thought I'd add some interesting perspective. Care to expertly elaborate here?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 1:23:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
.... then a burst hole erupts, spewing out the (now) lava at supersonic level speeds, & sending up ash & large chunks of debris (more like land masses).
View Quote

Gives a whole new meaning to "Fallout Shelter"  huh??

Rainier is such a beautiful mountain,  it would be an absolute crying shame to see it messed up like St. Helens. [>(]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#50]
SA - thanks for your concern.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top