Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2002 6:42:05 PM EDT
I am going to be out of a job later this month.  It was a desk job doing planning and forecasting for call centers and does not really have applicability outside the field.

Do any of you have experience with franchises?  I would like to start my own business and have been looking at things like:  paintless auto dent repair; windshield replacement/repair; home inspections; handyman/remodel type.  The franchises all talk a good game, but that is how they make their money.  I need to find people who have tried some of these out to get the real story.

So, if you have been-there-done-that, or have some other good ideas for a small business (that does not require big money to start), please reply.

Thanks,
-Ngog
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
start a whore house.
you can run it by hand until you get some girls.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
start a whore house.
you can run it by hand until you get some girls.
View Quote

BWAHAAAAAAA!!!!!! Good one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen the paintless auto dent repair. That is a cool process. Takes some skill and practice. I don't have any clue on the franchise.

One thing you HAVE TO DO. Look at the numbers. It usually takes some calls and sitting through the standard BS of "Oh, this is a great business!" But if they are legitmate, it only takes one or two BS sessions before they break out the balance sheets. Take a trusted friend (preferably educated) to sit in on those meetings. Two heads are better than one. Again if it is a legimate franchise, they won't mind your friend, actually encourage it.

Be prepared for the shock of "I take in this much, you take X amount and leave me Y" and how small Y is.

If your thoughts run along the line of "I take in this much, you take X amount and leave me Y" and Y is big. Look more closely, you are missing some numbers. Look more closely.

You can make money at this. Look at McDonnalds or any fast food franchise. They are OK models. Met someone that had 4 "Subway" stores, they were doing really well, with no BS. But their biggest complaint was trying to find good employees. That was their biggest area for loosing money.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Start a pizza parlor.  Forget the franchise operations;  if you have a good recipe, you can do just as well on your own.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Those damned internet cafes are going like hotcakes.  I just wish I had the capital last year to open one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:57:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I am not sure about American Laws..

However

Here in Canada the home made wine shops are doing great!!

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Alex Spanos made his first million $$$$$$$ by making & selling "baloney" sandwiches, you cud improve on his idea by adding mustard !!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#11]
One of my neighbors has a mobile locksmithing business.  I was talking to him about it a few months ago and he said that every time he goes out on a call, he'll make a minimum of $75.

He has 24 hour emergency service, and his rates increase between 10pm and 7am.

Most of the time, it's things like opening cars when the owner locks his/her keys inside.  Driving to the call takes longer than the actual job, according to him.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#12]
What do you have that other people want/need? I always wanted to get seafood from my home in Louisiana and bring it up to Tennessee where it is expensive. Like wise, alfalfa hay is cheap up here but expensive in Louisiana. Maybe you have relatives in other states that could check out opportunities like this. Are you close to Mexico? Maybe get some Mexican wares and sell them. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Ngog,

A friend of mine who is also a fireman does the home inspection thing and usually makes about $200 per job and does a couple a day. It's not real hard to get started in but it helps if you have friends in real estate for contacts.

I remodel homes myself and I can tell you that it is a good business but does require some start up capital and is not the best way to replace solid income in the begining.

However, if your credit is pretty decent and you have some BASIC construction/ home knowledge it can be a great business.

The best way to start is to find a wholesaler of distressed proerties. Do not waste your time calling major realtors because most of them do not want to deal with rehabs.
I use a company that specializes in wholesaling distressed props. They find them, then flip them to investors for a small markup. They also take care of my financing and then they help my buyers with financing if they are not qualified when they get to me.

You should also apply for a Home Depot or Lowes credit card if you don't have one already. You can charge all your materials and then pay the balance after you sell the property. The only thing you need cash wise is your closing fees, a few mortgage payments and the cash for any labor you may need to hire.

I dont want to go too in depth here but if you are seriously interested or have any questions shoot me an email and I'll be glad to correspond with you. I have done over 15 propereties both as owner as a contractor so I have a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Best of luck,

muz.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Hitman
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Yo hook up da homies wit da crack, you be rollin in da benz befo long fo sure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to all for the replies, even the sarcastic ones.  I needed the laugh.
I am off to check the sites Aimless mentioned.

Am I the only one who has no idea what an internet cafe is?

-Ngog
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you considered becoming a pimp? Contact LordTrader for the link to the pimp test to see if you can qualify for such an astute position.

[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top