Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 8:02:44 AM EDT
A friend from work just moved out from the east coast and is looking for a WWII reenactors group to join. He is very serious about it and is not a yahoo who just wants to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A friend from work just moved out from the east coast and is looking for a WWII reenactors group to join. He is very serious about it and is not a yahoo who just wants to shoot.
View Quote

Never knew there was such a group.  Interesting...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of one...but I can imagine there are some out there. They might have a table at Tanner Gun show, or the Collectors Gun Show in May.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know of one, either.  

You might want to contact the Colorado Gun Collectors Association.  If there is a group for this here in Colorado, they probably know about it.

[url]http://www.cgca.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Years ago I went with my family to many Civil War reenactments. I was pretty big into it and we usually did Gettysburg each year. In high school I had a history teacher that was a real liberal goof (imagine that) and he'd always make jokes about the stupidity of war re-enactors.  

I found this highly offensive and could never understand his viewpoint on this issue. Then I went to the reenactment of the Battle of the Buldge. Seeing all the guys in WW2 GI uniforms was really cool, but seeing just as many, if not more guys dressed up like Nazi's really freaked me out. Many had the Nazi-style haircuts, were speaking German (altought it was obvious they were American Citzens) and just seemed enjoy being Facists way too much. I felt like I was at a skinhead rally and it really turned my stomach.

I understand that someone needs to play the bad guy, and I never had a problem with Confederates during Civil War reenactments, but I can't understand why the Hell anyone would put on a SS uniform for fun. Maybe I'm out of touch...

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a pretty active group here, tho I'm not one of them.  They setup at some of the larger shows, but that is hit and miss.  Lemme talk to a friend and I'll get back to you.

SRM
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
it's actually gaining popularity.
in Bay City, they have this thing called the "river of time" and the last few years i have seen more and more WW2 reenactors, i seem to remember that Garry James of guns and ammo is involved in a few of these groups, you might want to email someone at their website for more info.
i, personally, think it's a great idea, and would love to participate, even more so than civil and revolutionary war era reenactment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I have heard of and been to a couple Civil War reenactments at Fort Tejon in California.  But never heard of or of course been to a WW2 one.  I suppose it makes sense to have a group that does it, although I'm sure its a lot more work.

Civil War you pretty much just need an open field and people to stand there and fall down after a while...WW2 I'm sure you'd need a lot more than that.  Kind of cool at the Civil War tents before the battle.  Funny hearing the "rebels" playing the part.  Some of them were really good at it.  The Union guys would pretty much show what they had to do and would answer questions here and there.  It was fun and interesting, wish I could go there again.  Only times I went were when we were camping up there in Boy Scouts and thats what they were doing at the time.

Pretty sure they do more than just Civil War reenactments...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.wiking.org/topics/ww2link.htm[/url]

Here...didn't look for Colorado in there but hopefully you'll get lucky.

[url]http://www.olive-drab.com/od_history_reenact.php3[/url]

This might be your best bet...
[url]http://www.reenactor.net/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#9]
many reenactors do more than one genre. i do civil war (next event at resaca, ga, weekend of 18th. we're federal this time) but am interested in trying the revolution too. i know a guy who does civwar, span-am, ww1, ww2 & vietnam.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Heck Im a Pro Reenactor, when Im not doing 1750s Mohawk warrior for work, I do Revolutionary war and Vietnam eras.  I have done Viking, War of 1812 and Civil War in the past.  You see all types in the hobby, from the families that view it as historic themed camping, to the hardcore threadcounters that try to be as authentic as possible in every aspect, from dress to speech to food ect, and YES there are yahoos in all periods, but it seems more so in CW, WWII and Vietnam.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I assume you are looking in the metro area.

It's been about 15 years since I did civil war reenactment (artillery, no less), but the guys I did it with may be able to help you. Email me and I'll set you up.

-legrue

edited to add:

Doh, WINEMASTER, give me a call on my cellphone, goof. You should have known to ask me in the first place!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#14]
As you can tell by my "name" I am into WWII reeancting.  Like you said, we are not crazy, we are just really into the history. (BTW I am a Gefreiter now). WWII reenactiing is becomming one of the largest growing hobbies around with a 600% growth in the past 4 years.
There are numerous public battles as well as closed "tactical" battles.

Anyone in the Ohio, PA  area should check out the D-Day invasion in September.  The Navy is bringing out real landing craft, and us Germans will be on the bluffs over the beach.  There will be artillery (150mm), anti tank (37mm) mortars, and machineguns, lots of machineguns.
Bring the whole family.

I am surprised your friend does not know about [url]www.atthefront.com[/url]

They are THE place to go to get equipment. Have him check out the WWII link section. it has a list of various units and their locations.  Right off I didn't see a Colorado based unit, but just check out the societies on that page.  They should be able to help you with anything they need.

Does your friend do G.I. or German?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top