Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2011 10:36:58 AM EDT
Well, Duhhh....  Wonder how much .gov money this study cost?

"The U.S. is focusing too much attention on helping students pursue four-year college degrees, when two-year and occupational programs may better prepare them for the job market, a Harvard University report said."

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#1]
no shit

become electricians and plumbers morons! megabucks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Shocking

I know I could have gone to college, and done great.  It just wasn't for me at the time.  It still isn't either.  I want to avoid that whole "get a real job" thing for a little while longer
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I tell this to kids all the time. If you are unsure about college, save your money. Get out there and see what you like doing, THEN decide if college fits your desired path.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I went in the service immediately after high school, no college.

I broke 100k last year and I'm about to retire with a very nice pension (I'll be 42 when I retire). I'm anticipating my next job will make almost as much. This compounded by my pension and my wife's paycheck and we'll be doing better than almost everyone I grew up with.

College is overrated IMHO. I have friends very deeply in debt after finishing up their master's and they make less than me, with shit prospects to do better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

"The U.S. is focusing too much attention on helping students pursue four-year college degrees, when two-year and occupational programs may better prepare them for the job market, a Harvard University report said."

Can a Society Function with no Plumbers, no Mechanics, no Construction Workers, No Truck Drivers, No Waiters and Waitresses, No Cooks, etc?

IDIOTS!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
How did the Harvard authors of the report embed a snooty Harvard sniff in their paper?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Ban universities from offering liberal arts majors.

Done and done.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
meanwhile, obama launches a higher education for everyone initiative...

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
no shit

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]
student loans is the only debt bubble they have left to inflate
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Not for everyone doesnt mean not for anyone. Degrees are very valuable, industrialization may be on the rise in the next few years compared to the 90's but that does not mean degrees are unnecessary. Someone still has to oversee and account for all those cooks, construction workers, waiters, and other working class personnel.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know this implicitly.  A degree in engineering later and trust me, I wasn't the type that should have gone to college.  I'm not stupid, but I just am a terrible student.  I took about twice as long as most of my friends to get through. My time would've been better spent in the service or something.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Although, I live on a pretty decent financial aid package I keep my expenses to the bare min. Rent (includes all my utilities), drive a paid off truck, always cook in, no beer, insurance for truck, and groceries. Its all in the form of scholarships but IDK I'm just not happy here at college. I love online classes because of the freedom I have and I have a weird schedule where I don't wakeup until like 12pm or so if I have a choice. I am thinking this summer about doing a fully online program VIA Colorado State University, just kind of waiting to see how transcripts and such workout. My entire high school was devoted to getting a full ride and working my ass off with 3 farm jobs. If I leave I don't know what I will do. Every job I find there are people with a 4yr degree and experience and it rules me out. I don't have enough experience for the entry level jobs that require a trade type of degree, and I don't have enough schooling to get other jobs. I will try and get my kids to go into trade school.For most kids they come to college to party at least in the first 2 years, I know a girl that dropped out of engineering what she wanted to do her entire life, to party. I finished my first 2 years of college while in high school and transferred as a 19 year old junior, which is akward because I have no classes with kids my age and I can't really go to bars like most juniors can. Although, I came here to learn and not party it appears that most kids do for that reason.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
meanwhile, obama launches a higher education for everyone undocumented immigrants initiative...

There. I fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not for everyone doesnt mean not for anyone. Degrees are very valuable, industrialization may be on the rise in the next few years compared to the 90's but that does not mean degrees are unnecessary. Someone still has to oversee and account for all those cooks, construction workers, waiters, and other working class personnel.

Still in school I take it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The problem is about 20 - 25 years ago it became a stigma NOT to go to college. College had been thought of as a "rich kid" privilege for so long, once the .gov got involved

in engineering accessibility, everyone thought they had to, and were entitled to go.

In a good job market, it's sustainable, now, not so much.

I still believe college is good idea as long as you 1. know what you want to do, 2. have a plan to pay for it, 3. have a somewhat marketable degree which you can make money at.

I followed those 3 rules and I am doing okay. God willing, I'll continue to do okay.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never went to college I take it?

Yep still in school. I havent even finished yet and over Christmas break I started a part time job offered to me in my field (finance) at a small expanding corporation, a job that has upward mobility I might ad.

This thread is about as full of bullshit as the thread concerning "community college vs. University". Most of the people commenting that thread have never been to a university.  

I also worked full time last semester on campus and the old ex-mil guys would sit around and talk about how worthless a college degree is and cite all of their bad experiences with management as proof that no one with a work ethic comes out of college and they dont make anymore anyway. Of course this is coming from 65+ year olds that will work until the day they die because they have never made over 15 dollars an hour in their life.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#18]
The world needs plenty of bartenders.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuck Harvard.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Education, even state funded, is a business...

Don't forget that.  The more tuition the better.  That only happens with more students.  Some prestigious schools can attract students by taking academics up a notch, but most cannot.  For those that cannot, more unmotivated students means that non academic life becomes paramount in attracting customers students.  If the curriculum has to be dumbed down and spread around, so be it.

Except for core-ass kicking majors, it is indeed high school grades 13-16...

My school (VA Tech) has jumped the shark in this manner.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Done and done.

and watch civilization turn into a self-destructive technocracy.

thanks, i'll pass.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I broke 100k last year and I'm about to retire with a very nice pension (I'll be 42 when I retire). I'm anticipating my next job will make almost as much. This compounded by my pension and my wife's paycheck and we'll be doing better than almost everyone I grew up with.

College is overrated IMHO. I have friends very deeply in debt after finishing up their master's and they make less than me, with shit prospects to do better.

How confident are you in that...?  These types of plans, if unfunded would seem to be the first to re-org.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The problem is about 20 - 25 years ago it became a stigma NOT to go to college.

right idea, wrong timeframe.

post-WW2 gi bill is what established a college education as a societal expectation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#24]
And water is wet. We still need people to dig ditches. Do you need a 4 year degree for that????
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

And water is wet. We still need people to dig ditches. Do you need a 4 year degree for that????

Nope, just a Mexican birth certificate.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How confident are you in that...?  These types of plans, if unfunded would seem to be the first to re-org.

Less confident all the time actually.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep still in school. I havent even finished yet and over Christmas break I started a part time job offered to me in my field (finance) at a small expanding corporation, a job that has upward mobility I might ad.

This thread is about as full of bullshit as the thread concerning "community college vs. University". Most of the people commenting that thread have never been to a university.  

I also worked full time last semester on campus and the old ex-mil guys would sit around and talk about how worthless a college degree is and cite all of their bad experiences with management as proof that no one with a work ethic comes out of college and they dont make anymore anyway. Of course this is coming from 65+ year olds that will work until the day they die because they have never made over 15 dollars an hour in their life.

Nope

That is obvious

I did the college thing for 2 years, it just wasn't for me.  Not knocking anyone who does, but you certainly don't "need" one to be financially successful.  

You said:
"Someone still has to oversee and account for all those cooks, construction workers, waiters, and other working class personnel"

That is true, but having a college degree has nothing to do with that.  I have no degree, many of the people I manage and "account for" do.  I get paid well (To give you some perspective, I live and work right outside of DC), I am responsible for generating a few million dollars in sales for my company a year, and I should retire early.  

Life and employment is what you make of it.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sometimes a douche bag in my comments(usually to Libertarians) but this level of douche baggery is over 9000!!!!!!

How old are you, 22, 23, 24?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Some of us went for more than four years...

<–– MS
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Done and done.

and watch civilization turn into a self-destructive technocracy.

thanks, i'll pass.

I agree with you in principal that the Philosophies are vital to civilization but our learning institutions have been taken over by the cancer that is liberalism.
Defunding the liberal arts is like amputating a rotten limb, it ain't a good thing but its the least bad choice we have.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
no shit

Every time I meet a young man who doesn't seem to have any direction in life I tell him the same thing.  You can add welder to the list.  Whether the economy is doing well or not, things have to be maintained and you can make a lot of money maintaining them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I agree.  There are too many people at universities that would be better off doing something else with their time and money.  A lot of people don't even have a plan, they just go to college because everyone else does.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#33]
After 8 years active duty and five years in teh work force following I finally went back to school. Can't say I really care for it. I know I can do what I want to do with less than a four year degree. Nobody would take me seriously without that piece of paper though. I am studying biology.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#34]
H-A-Ahr, H-A-Ahr, H-A-Ahr, with a Vee!

V-A-Ahr, V-A-Ahr, V-A-Ahr, with a Dee!

Harvard. Harvard. Rah. Rah.

Harvard men are really tough,

They know how to knit and stuff.

Knit one, purl two, Harvard, yoo-hoo!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#35]
A four year degree is great, if you want to work in a field that requires four years of formalized training/education in order to have a sufficient knowledgebase in the field. But going to get a four year degree "just becuase" is a stupid waste of money. If a student pursues a major that they aren't really interested in then they won't thrive in their field anyway. I think more students should be encourages to pursue careers that are interesting to them or that they are suited for, whether it involves college or vocational training.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#36]
And another one for the 'no fuckin shit' basket.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sometimes a douche bag in my comments(usually to Libertarians) but this level of douche baggery is over 9000!!!!!!

How old are you, 22, 23, 24?

no shit.

ETA: Throwing some upward mobility in there is nice too
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Done and done.

Look, Starbucks still needs managers and strip joints still need strippers, that's what Liberal Arts majors are for.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top