Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 4:35:19 PM EDT
Thanks to a nice tax return I'll have some play money in a few weeks.  I'm torn between buying my first handgun (looking at M&P 40) or "finishing" my AR.  By finishing I mean to get a Magpul Midlength MOE with their vertical fore grip, a sling, light, and red-dot sight.  All I have at home are a few shotguns and the AR, so I'd like to make the AR more appropriate for HD or use a handgun instead.

I'm leaning towards the handgun but just wanting to get some more thoughts.  Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
finish the AR
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
finish the AR

First post.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Finish the AR.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as the AR is in usable condition right now, I say get the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Handgun, then pick away at the ar. I assume you already have the ar lower.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Foregrip, sling, light and pistol...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Finish the AR
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
finish the AR

This
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This ^ ^ ^
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry, guess I should have specified: the AR has been in a finished state for year.  Granted, it's bare-bones BCM middy with iron sights, but it's a working piece of art, haha.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
finish the AR

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Rifle > shotgun > handgun > sharp stick > harsh words
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
A handgun is far more useful than a rifle.

ETA:Your rifle is already "finished."

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

first time I ever heard a handgun being more useful than a rifle.

Back on topic: Op if your AR is finished in the sense that it functions 100% and has sights than I would get a handgun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

ditto

and a new VFG and forearm don't make it better for home defense, they're just pretties.  The only thing your rifle NEEDS for the HD role is a light, a red dot makes it a bit better.  But no AR can be easily concealed about your person- so IMO the pistol is more important.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Since the AR fires bullets safely, and you don't own a handgun yet...

GET THE HANDGUN
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#20]
A carbine is a perfect home defense weapon.  Unless you have your concealed carry license, get that AR into fighting shape and wait on the .40.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The handgun is a weapon that can be kept on or about your person constantly. Do you take your rifle with you everywhere? Contrary to popular belief, these rifles are really nothing more than toys. You will not have it available when you need it. Also, if you truly do need a rifle, one can be acuired with a handgun. Note the Warsaw ghetto uprising and the Liberator pistol.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Needs a poll! but (AS USUAL) the first post nails it!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The handgun is a weapon that can be kept on or about your person constantly. Do you take your rifle with you everywhere? Contrary to popular belief, these rifles are really nothing more than toys. You will not have it available when you need it. Also, if you truly do need a rifle, one can be acuired with a handgun. Note the Warsaw ghetto uprising and the Liberator pistol.

The context of your prior post was not clear to me, I thought you meant Pistol> Rifle in a combat situation.

I see you meant it as in a everday life kinda thing in which I would agree with you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
finish the AR

First post.

This.  Finish one before getting another.  Too many unfinished toys, and you end up selling to buy.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know it's finished in the sense that it's a complete rifle and can put rounds downrange.  I put " " around it to signify an alternate use for 'finished.'

An additional point: being in VA I have the option of concealed carry.  Yet another reason why I'd like to get a handgun sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am with him.  Getting the handgun will give you two guns.  Finishing the AR will not give you another gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top