Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2011 4:15:34 PM EDT
I was watching a guy steaming ice/ice dams off of a roof today. I noticed he had sheet metal screws screwed into the bottom of his boots. Is this a common practice? Seems to me it would be a bit hard on the shingles. I work in construction, have for 25 or so years. Never seen anyone with screws in their boots. I know why they are there, but isn't there something made commercially that would have less potential for shingle damage than sheet metal screws?

Thank You for your time

ETA: It's just the screw heads, they were screwed in from the bottom (walking surface)
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
do you mean the tips of the screws were pointing down or just the hex head was sticking out?  Either way, this is a great way to get traction on ice and the damage to the shingle is minimal.

edit- it is only a 1/4" max sticking out right?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some boots called Cougar Paws with replaceable soles that work well.  Screws thats a new one
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow. I'm in roofing SALES but I've never seen anything like that. Seems like it could cause more trouble than help. "Hey that roof didn't leak until YOU got up there..."

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
9/11 was an inside job!

Uh, wait, no, nevermind...you said *roofers*.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wow. I'm in roofing SALES but I've never seen anything like that. Seems like it could cause more trouble than help. "Hey that roof didn't leak until YOU got up there..."

That roof leaked before with the ice dam so how would the owners know the difference.
:peep:  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
" and the damage to the shingle is minimal."

Well I'm not so sure about that !!!!  MINIMAL ???

I don't think so ? I wouldn't want my shingles to go through this !
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
9/11 was an inside job!

Uh, wait, no, nevermind...you said *roofers*.

Maybe there was nano-ice involved, you know.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

" and the damage to the shingle is minimal."

Well I'm not so sure about that !!!!  MINIMAL ???

I don't think so ? I wouldn't want my shingles to go through this !

(I am not an ice dam melter)

The head of a screw is a problem for you?  Would you rather have the ice dam build up and let water run under your shingles and into your attice to cause rot and possible mold?  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmmm. By the looks of those cougar paw boot spikes, sheet metal screws are about the same thing, just no point. I would a thought that would be hard on the shingles. I know not as hard on the roofing as an ice dam.

Just seems odd to damage one thing while you are removing another thing to prevent damage. I spose, lesser of 2 evils and such ,eh?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I design roofs. I see people do the dumbest shit thinking its going to help a much deeper problem. If he's ice damming, he is thin in insulation and short on ventilation. He should attack the problems, not the symtoms
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
We have had a lot of rain up here this winter and that is part of the problem, but yes I agree with you the cause definitely needing to be addressed. The ice has to come off too. This was a contractor working on a customer house, judging from the truck out front. I'm sure he has buddies he will refer the customer to for an insulation eval and "tune up"
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Some guys are just dumb.  Cougar paws work great but if there is ice they probably won't.  He probably had golf shoes!  Dumb.  It could damage the shingles even if they are frozen they could help to crack them and when the spring thaw comes through it could be an issue.  Just keep an eye out in the spring and document date and time and describe what you saw so you can talk to the owner of the company if something does occur.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top