Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2011 3:17:42 PM EDT
At 8:00 am tomorrow you have to travel on foot from New York City to LA, through gang infested cities, upscale suburbs, forests and barren fields. Its spring. America is running smoothly (no war), but you have no identification, no money, no job skills to allow you to work, no food, no guns, no family and no friends. You have the clothes on your back, a rolled up blanket and a dull knife you found in an alley. You stink and no one will give you a ride. Essentially you're traveling like John Rambo but without any of his skills; always hungry and trying to stay clear of the police. The trip could take several months and starvation is real. Could you make it from coast to coast? How would you find food? Would you steal?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, gonna be a whole lot of COC violations along the way though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
obviously not describing an Arfcomer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe , maybe not , I hope to never have to find out !
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe , maybe not , I hope to never have to find out !

Ding Ding Ding Winner!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Apply for food stamps...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Are there zombies? This is important.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd kill a possum for food, hop in an open train car destined for California, build a fire inside and eat my meal in style as I watched the scenery fly by.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Why the fuck would I be going to LA? To get on Welfare and buy a big screen TV?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At 8:00 am tomorrow you have to travel on foot from New York City to LA, through gang infested cities, upscale suburbs, forests and barren fields. Its spring. America is running smoothly (no war), but you have no identification, no money, no job skills to allow you to work, no food, no guns, no family and no friends. You have the clothes on your back, a rolled up blanket and a dull knife you found in an alley. You stink and no one will give you a ride. Essentially you're traveling like John Rambo but without any of his skills; always hungry and trying to stay clear of the police. The trip could take several months and starvation is real. Could you make it from coast to coast? How would you find food? Would you steal?

No.  Scenario fail, too many "no" items.  In your scenario it would be no way with the biggest hurdle being no ID.

Me, given what I have in my pocket most of the time, I'll call it a maybe even if you took my credit cards and cash.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
cant get a job?  That is rediculous.  Our society takes money to work.  So either I'd have to find SOMETHING for money, beg, or steal
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Stupid scenario.  No skills? Everyone has some skills. The art of BS is one.   I could make it in 4 days max, with time out to go to the Grand Canyon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#12]

I would seriously consider hopping a train somehow.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Apply for food stamps...

Duh! This guy nailed it. Just combine the above described circumstances with a complete lack of initiative and motivation (and perhaps a crack habbit and an illegitimate kid or two) or .gov will give you all the food, transportation, shelter, and healthcare you could possibly need. The worst thing you could possibly do in this situation is make any real attempt to raise YOURSELF out of said circumstances. Uncle Sam wouldn't see fit to help you then.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
No. I'm not enough of a social person to hitch hike
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Unrealistic scenario.Too many failsafes preventing that level of destitution.

There's no shortage of food in the US, a man could survive on food banks, garbage and wild gathering if he couldn't find opportunities to earn a meal.

If I stink, I'm going to the closest chain gym and getting a shower, probably need ID for that though. (I spent months seeing the country by car years ago and my gym membership meant I had a hot shower in every city, worked out great.)

Cross country at a walk would be about four months.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure....I would hit the local YMCA then shower up.....then go to the interstate off-ramp beg enough money to wash my clothes at the laundromat and grab a bite to eat.    Following I would return to the interstate where I would bum a ride with a long haul trucker who would get me three more states to the west....I would then go to the downtown area and jump on board a truck with migrant workers spend the day working and get paid in cash....

I would walk over the Grey Hound station and buy a one way bus ticket to LA....and I'm good to go.   Fantasy Right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah. I bet I could eat pretty well in built up areas scavenging though trash. The rural areas would be much tougher.

The biggest threats would be disease and exposure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#18]
So if you have nothing, no family, no friends, and no job, why exactly do you need to go to LA?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yup, gonna be a whole lot of COC violations along the way though.

Pretty much this.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Closing time at fast food joints yields a bounty of leftover food.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Illegals do shit like that all the time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apply for food stamps...

Duh! This guy nailed it. Just combine the above described circumstances with a complete lack of initiative and motivation (and perhaps a crack habbit and an illegitimate kid or two) or .gov will give you all the food, transportation, shelter, and healthcare you could possibly need. The worst thing you could possibly do in this situation is make any real attempt to raise YOURSELF out of said circumstances. Uncle Sam wouldn't see fit to help you then.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#23]
am I allowed to prostitute myself?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So if you have nothing, no family, no friends, and no job, why exactly do you need to go to LA?

I get the feeling the OP has a fantasy in which he travels across America, stopping in each city to fight gangs with a rusty knife.  At least that was what I got out of his post.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Wasnt there a show on the history channel awhile back about this situation?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Would I be blind but still able to kick ass? Am I taking a book somewhere?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, it can be done. Admittedly my last time was about 24 years ago, but I did the hitchhike thing from Maine to SoCal and back once before the military and once as soon as I got out (had some available $$ that time though). The hardest part was the 200-ish miles getting out of Maine if you can't catch a ride with a trucker. The trick is staying out of the really rural areas. Internet at public libraries is now your friend to line up the next town you head for (Salvation Army soup kitchens, shelters, day labor agencies, etc).  A couple days at day labor will net you enough to go quite a long ways on Greyhound. Colleges are great too––ride boards, showers at gyms, crash pads, party houses, etc. Following truckers routes works well for earning pocket cash under the table and getting long distance rides. Truck stops also have showers.
One of my volunteer slots is at a homeless shelter. I talk about all kinds of that stuff with the clients, comparing what I did with what they do now. Some of them have some well-planned seasonal routines that work well for them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Would I be blind but still able to kick ass? Am I taking a book somewhere?

is Mila Kunis with me?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd go ask around at a few churches. Probably could get a bus ticket out to LA if I had a legitimate reason to be headed there.

So yeah, I think I could do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Travel by night stay inthe shadows. If you know how to blend in with people they shouldnt be much of a threat. Scrounge for what useful items you can along the way. Again travel by night as resturaunts throw awayfood that is not sold. Dump the crap knife for the first practical weapon you come acrossed. Bathing can be done in gas station bathrooms and lakes ponds along the way. If worse comes to worse and surival instinct takes over mans law is out the window. Adapt and overcome. Make the best choices you can with the circumstances that you are given.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Can I bring my box of donuts?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Hell yeah.

Beggers/panhandlers actually make decent money...

Hitchhiking would be a preferred method of travel...

There are rescue missions/shelters in damn near every city...

I would steal when I need to.  In extreme measures, the ends justify the means...

I would have to rely on my fist to protect myself though...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#33]
2 words:   Sperm donation
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Why does it have to be a dull knife...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
2 words:   Sperm donation

Do you know the requirments to be a donor ? Its pretty selective
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I've kicked this around before. It would make a good "reality" program.

1) Go to many barbershops and offer to do work for a hair cut.
2) Go to a clothing store and offer to do work for clean clothes.
3) Go to a resturant and offer work for a meal.
4) Get yourself cleaned up and go from there, the American people are hugely generous when they see an effort.

I would come into LA in a limo.

GM
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm pretty sure I could make it in summer/spring/fall. Winter would be tougher as you'd have less time to gather supplies needed to survive the elements.....

And yes I'd steal, no other way to do it with the scenario you described.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#38]
1. Go to the YMCA and take a shower.
2. Go to a library and go to craigslist. Look through the "free" section for nearby neighborhoods for stuff of non-zero value and go pick it up. Take it to pawn/thrift shops and collect some dollars. Repeat for a while.
3. Go back to the library and go back to craigslist. Click the "rideshare" link. Find people going where you're going or at least in the general direction. Offer to drive and pay for however much gas you feel like.
4. If you run out of money or don't make it to where you're going, repeat 1-3 as necessary.
5. You have arrived at your destination.

No CoC violations necessary, all thanks to some fat smelly hippie who started a message board.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Given the proper motivation ...

I think I could .  Not that i would like it .
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Soup kitchens exist in almost every decent size town/city.  Just walk or jump a train and eat at soup kitchens.  Easy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Truck stop - Shower.
McDonalds - Job
= Profit.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Plasma donation
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#43]
1. Commit myself for voluntary psychiatric evaluation.
2. Coerce/Manipulate hospital staff for hand me down clothing.

3. Pan handle enough money for a greyhound ticket.

4. Regret going to all this effort just to get to NY.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Seriously; is there really a point to this?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

no I would not make it - with no skills how can you - if you have never learned anything to sustain you you would not make it far. But I am sure others would.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Seriously; is there really a point to this?

Is there ever in GD?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, Ok so I smell and look like crap.  Great I'll get in a lake or river and get myself cleaned up.  Sharpen knife and hunt.  Jump a train Id give it from NY to LA 10 days tops.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As long as you're making shit up, why not put me in a wheelchair too?

maybe missing all but one finger on each hand

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd rather take a ship.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top