Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2011 12:20:16 PM EDT
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20030265-265.html?tag=topStories1

"SAN FRANCISCO––Hours after Google accused Microsoft of copying its search results, representatives from the two companies exchanged rhetorical blows over the difference between "copying" and "listening to users.

Google's Matt Cutts and Microsoft's Harry Shum smiled for the cameras at the Farsight 2011 conference today but barely disguised their mutual contempt. It was the first public appearance by each following Google's revelation that it set a trap to test whether Microsoft was using browser click data from Internet Explorer users on Google to inform search results on Bing."

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Lawyers!

Can ye smell 'em?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ooooh!  Tag!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I though MS was all powerful and all knowing?  I thought they could do know wrong and Apple was the ultimate evil in the universe?  

F Microsoft.  They are second only to the Chinese when it comes to stealing ideas and intellectual property.  The only difference is most of the stuff the chinese steal, they can make it work (most of the time).
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
one more reason not to use IE.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Or Bing.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Bing.

but it sounds so cool to say "just bing it"
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Bing.

or Windows..

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Bing.

or Windows..  

or pants.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Bing.

or Windows..  

or pants.

Down with pants!

/And M$

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

New Safari convert here.  I'll never go back either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
NERRRRRDDDSSSSSSSS
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

New Safari convert here.  I'll never go back either.

Welcome my friend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Or Google.  Seriously Google violates more privacy than anyone.  They even tell you about it.  They search through the documents on your computer and through the email in your gmail account so they can target advertisements towards you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
so a bing toolbar sees when you search google for fuarock you click on arfcom so that when someone types fuarock into bing later arfcom comes up isn't that what spyware is supposed to do?
isnt this akin to pot calling the kettle black?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New Safari convert here. I'll never go back either.

Welcome my friend.

Now that I know what we know - I don't understand why anyone would put themselves through Microsucks bullshit.  I'd post the pic of my last Dell 19" Inspiron lying on my kitchen floor with the screen punched out and keyboard folded in half (and not like it was designed to) but I saw the dogpiling old boy got for being wasteful after throwing his kids XBox 360 into the yard in GD.  It was wasteful, but SOOOOOO satisfying after years of viruses, anti-viruses (that didn't work) and reduced performance I finally snapped - and so did that Dell.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#17]
busted
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
so a bing toolbar sees when you search google for fuarock you click on arfcom so that when someone types fuarock into bing later arfcom comes up isn't that what spyware is supposed to do?
isnt this akin to pot calling the kettle black?

I wouldn't call it spyware.

MS was smart enough to use their Bing toolbar to help improve their searches. I am 100% ok with this.

Google is pissed because they didn't patent this.

I am sure MS was doing it to Yahoo and every other search engine out there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome my friend.

Now that I know what we know - I don't understand why anyone would put themselves through Microsucks bullshit.  I'd post the pic of my last Dell 19" Inspiron lying on my kitchen floor with the screen punched out and keyboard folded in half (and not like it was designed to) but I saw the dogpiling old boy got for being wasteful after throwing his kids XBox 360 into the yard in GD.  It was wasteful, but SOOOOOO satisfying after years of viruses, anti-viruses (that didn't work) and reduced performance I finally snapped - and so did that Dell.

Safari is a multi-platform including the PC.  Now that your Dell is in a few pieces, what is your system?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Or Google.  Seriously Google violates more privacy than anyone.  They even tell you about it.  They search through the documents on your computer and through the email in your gmail account so they can target advertisements towards you.

when do they search through my computer?  Is it when I install some shitty addon bar, cause I don't do that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Bing.

but it sounds so cool to say "just bing it"

I use Whack. It's sounds way cooler.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I use Google and they don't record my history.

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I see nothing wrong with this, Microsoft using their customers' search data to improve their experience.

As if using Google Chrome doesn't ensure you are targeted with ads related to what you've been browsing when you use their search engine.

I'd bet money that a bing  search in Google Chrome feeds data to Google, hell every thing you do in Chrome feeds data to Google.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome my friend.

Now that I know what we know - I don't understand why anyone would put themselves through Microsucks bullshit. I'd post the pic of my last Dell 19" Inspiron lying on my kitchen floor with the screen punched out and keyboard folded in half (and not like it was designed to) but I saw the dogpiling old boy got for being wasteful after throwing his kids XBox 360 into the yard in GD. It was wasteful, but SOOOOOO satisfying after years of viruses, anti-viruses (that didn't work) and reduced performance I finally snapped - and so did that Dell.

Safari is a multi-platform including the PC. Now that your Dell is in a few pieces, what is your system?

Dunno.  Whatever comes in the Apple iMac Pro.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Bing is Microsoft's what, fourth, attempt to build a search engine?

Clearly their approach is flawed. Bing sucks ass. Nobody uses it except complete newbs who don't know how to change the default home page.

Google does better searching Microsoft's web sites than Microsoft.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#27]
This is stupid.  Its no different that when I used google to search for "Firestone" when I was looking to buy tires, and they for the next month every ad on every page I visited was for Firestone.  Everybody is just getting all butt hurt because MS is using their browser in conjunction with their search engine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome my friend.

Now that I know what we know - I don't understand why anyone would put themselves through Microsucks bullshit. I'd post the pic of my last Dell 19" Inspiron lying on my kitchen floor with the screen punched out and keyboard folded in half (and not like it was designed to) but I saw the dogpiling old boy got for being wasteful after throwing his kids XBox 360 into the yard in GD. It was wasteful, but SOOOOOO satisfying after years of viruses, anti-viruses (that didn't work) and reduced performance I finally snapped - and so did that Dell.

Safari is a multi-platform including the PC. Now that your Dell is in a few pieces, what is your system?

After all I did to help you with your Dell...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Given how Google exploits 110% of search engine, Gmail, Google application etc etc etc user's actions and data - I think it is the pot calling the kettle black.  No firm holds your data privacy in as much contempt as Google.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome my friend.
I've never used Safari but there is some kind of spy-er not "ware" but something that is encoded into webpages that only Safari stops. I know that's a poor explanation, sorry.

I didn't know anyone still used IE. I only use it for some legal/court webpages that are so shitty they only work right in IE.

The Apple store lady told me that there is over 500K viruses for regular PC's, and 18 for Apple, and whenever one does come up for Apple they fix everyone with a patch for free.  I'm about as computer illiterate as they come, so I'm surely not entirely accurate, but that was the gist of our conversation (something about open and closed operating systems).  My daughter's had an iMac for 4 years, never had a virus, and said it runs as fast as the day she bought it.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hit the Apple menu, and click About this Mac. It'll tell you what version your OS is. Mine is 10.6.6 currently.

Welcome my friend.

Hit the Apple menu and click About This Mac. That will tell you what version you are running. Mine is currently 10.6.6
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I though MS was all powerful and all knowing? I thought they could do know wrong and Apple was the ultimate evil in the universe?

F Microsoft. They are second only to the Chinese when it comes to stealing ideas and intellectual property. The only difference is most of the stuff the chinese steal, they can make it work (most of the time).

Google is the real evil. But like The Beast no one is going to believe it until it's too late.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome my friend.

Dunno. Whatever comes in the Apple iMac Pro.

After all I did to help you with your Dell...

Sowwy.  But the Dell you resurrected for me was three laptops ago.  This one was 3 weeks old when it got some nasty virus that stomped Mc Afee (that came with the Dell) so I had to uninstall it and I bought AVG8, after which I got kicked of IE about every 30 minutes or so religiously.  One night, after a few shots of Beam it started it's bullshit and I came unglued and put my fist through the screen - which was completely and utterly childish, juvenile, even infantile - wasteful, and stupid.  

I admit I had remorse almost immediately, but it completely subsided when I learned how to navigate around the new OS on the iMac.  I'm never looking back buddy.  No more late night "fix my computer Subby" phone calls from ol' Sharky pal!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Red on red violence. Both entities are dirty commies.

Only difference is that MS seems like it's lead by the type of commies that would serve as party functionaries and earn money and privilege building the gulags.

Google seems uniformly staffed by the types of dirty commies that would stage show trials and gleefully rat out neighbors.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
NERRRRRDDDSSSSSSSS

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I though MS was all powerful and all knowing?  I thought they could do know wrong and Apple was the ultimate evil in the universe?

When I'm not busy trashing Apple for their ridiculous company policies, I'm trashing MS for their craptastic products.

Just because MS is bad, doesn't make Apple good.  A concept that's beyond most of the iTards I have to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I'm not busy trashing Apple for their ridiculous company policies, I'm trashing MS for their craptastic products.

Just because MS is bad, doesn't make Apple good.  A concept that's beyond most of the iTards I have to deal with.

And so my vocabulary grows by one word today.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Bet this won't end well. I'd guess the lawyers are going nuts over this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#40]
You do realize google does the same thing........right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine too - and I think he just hurt my feeling.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

iAgree.  iTard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll get in on page one.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome my friend.
I've never used Safari but there is some kind of spy-er not "ware" but something that is encoded into webpages that only Safari stops. I know that's a poor explanation, sorry.

I didn't know anyone still used IE. I only use it for some legal/court webpages that are so shitty they only work right in IE.

The Apple store lady told me that there is over 500K viruses for regular PC's, and 18 for Apple, and whenever one does come up for Apple they fix everyone with a patch for free.  I'm about as computer illiterate as they come, so I'm surely not entirely accurate, but that was the gist of our conversation (something about open and closed operating systems).  My daughter's had an iMac for 4 years, never had a virus, and said it runs as fast as the day she bought it.  

I have had my PC for 4 years running Windows and I use IE for everything and I have never had a virus, and it runs as fast today as it did when it was new.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to keep crap off your computer but it does take common sense.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#47]
This doesn't surprise me.  I very much doubt that Google is innocent of such practices, either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Given how Google exploits 110% of search engine, Gmail, Google application etc etc etc user's actions and data - I think it is the pot calling the kettle black.  No firm holds your data privacy in as much contempt as Google.

You do give your consent to their terms of service by using their said services.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome my friend.

I have had my PC for 4 years running Windows and I use IE for everything and I have never had a virus, and it runs as fast today as it did when it was new.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to keep crap off your computer but it does take common sense.

BigDozer66

Where would you like me to send your cookie?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do give your consent to their terms of service by using their said services.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Not if you email someone who is using GMail, but don't have a Google account yourself.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top