Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2011 8:14:49 AM EDT

Nicole Darwish

I am therefore not optimistic that the current uprising will bring democracy. Many Egyptians believe they can combine democracy with Sharia Islamic law. That is the first unrealistic expectation. Sixty percent of Egyptians want to live under Sharia law, but do not understand the ramifications. Many chant "Allahu Akbar" and "Islam is the solution." But the truth is, Islam can be the problem.

The most dangerous law in Sharia that stands in the way of democracy is the one that states, "A Muslim head of state can hold office through seizure of power, meaning through force." That law is why Muslim leaders turn into despots in order to survive. When a Muslim leader is removed from office by force, we often see the Islamic media and masses accept it and even cheer for the new leader who has just ousted or killed the former leader, who is often called a traitor to the Islamic cause.

Many in the Muslim world lack the understanding of what is hindering them, as well as the foundation for forming a stable democratic political system. I fear that my brothers and sisters in Egypt will embrace extremism instead of education. I worry that they will continue to rise and fall, stumbling from one revolution to another and living from one autocrat to another while seeking the ideal Islamic state that never was. The 1,400 year old Islamic history of tyranny will continue unless Sharia law is rejected as the basis of the legal and political systems in Muslim countries.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It's good to know that occasionally they can see that unchecked-give-the-people-what-they-want democracy with no assumed rights for all is not a good thing.  Too bad they can't get that in this country.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
wow, i guess so.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I fear that my brothers and sisters in Egypt will embrace extremism instead of education.

Even if they get it right and choose an "enlightened" leader, he may not last 9 innings.

Revolutions have a way of not turning out how the foot soldiers thought they would.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#5]
A broken clock is correct twice a day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]
And you were reading the "HuffPost" because ...?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#7]
That is only because they can't figure out a way to use Egypt as a ax to chop on Conservatives with. Big Deal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Same reason that I read the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and Drudge Report.  I dig news, politics and current events and I want to hear only one opinion.  

I know, I should be burned at the stake.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Greg Gutfeld was awesome when he was on Huffpo.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
What the middle east countries need is another ataturk to bring them into the modern age of government and civilization.  

He is an example of how to stamp out radical fundamentalism and turn an islamic country into a secular one.

He was not perfect and had his faults but his legacy on controlling extremist is very good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I was under the impression that her site was comprised of just moonbat leftist nonsense.

Never mind.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Huffington Post was right?  

Its been nice knowing you guys, probably won't be on here much in the next few days before the end.  Good luck.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I was under the impression that her site was comprised of just moonbat leftist nonsense.

Never mind.

Yeah it is, but know thy enemy and all that.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Next Huff story, 'Nicole Darwish is fired'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top