Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 1:24:42 AM EDT
Watching CNN @ 0500. They just reported that all banks and ATM's in Cairo are closed, and is a trend that is going to spread throughout Egypt today. The citizens are trying to get to their money, most to buy food, and there's no money to get. Credit and Debit cards are not being honored, and the US is going to attempt a mass evacuation of American citizens shortly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#1]
SHTF and TEOTWAWKI in Egypt?  I never would have seen this coming.  We give them so much foreign aid too.  They can't even get arfcom at the moment

My safe queen unfired Egyptian Maadi is comfy tho.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Kind of interesting watching history happen live on TV. I still prefer the hindsight of reading about it in a book though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
FerFAL calls it again. ["Surviving in Argentina" blog].

He addressed having cash on hand last week (and has repeatedly in the past).
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
dtdt
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:39:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I tell people this all the time, than during SHTF you have about a week to get yourself situated, then everything is going to run out, gas, food, water, money, electricty, hard assets.

In the next few days, total pandemonium is going to settle in, Eqypt is going to dissolve on the world stage because these people live hand to mouth on a daily basis, it's going to be like Katrina...

It's going to get medieval.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

FerFAL calls it again.

even with money in hand you cant buy the food that aint there......

as to calling it. you must be new to the whole preparedness deal..there's been 100 + other well know folks that have said the same( over the last 30 years).....whats old is new, and if you repeat it enough people will think its yours.........i think obama does that with his speeches....

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:52:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Aint gonna be pretty .
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
FerFAL calls it again.

as to calling it. you must be new to the whole preparedness deal..there's been 100 + other well know folks that have said the same( over the last 30 years).....whats old is new, and if you repeat it enough people will think its yours.........i think obama does that with his speeches....

Not accurate. FerFAL has a distinctly different take than Tappan and the like.

The value of a rural retreat being one of the most distinct differences.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]
They just said the protestors were setting-up checkpoints around Tahrir Square to police themselves for firearms. All the guns from burned and looted police stations have been distributed amongst the demonstrators. They want it to continue to be peaceful but.........
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
A very good reason to stay prepared ...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#12]
No reference to B.F.E. yet.  I am disappoint.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]
KAABBOOOMMMMMM
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:13:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Watching CNN @ 0500. They just reported that all banks and ATM's in Cairo are closed, and is a trend that is going to spread throughout Egypt today. The citizens are trying to get to their money, most to buy food, and there's no money to get. Credit and Debit cards are not being honored, and the US is going to attempt a mass evacuation of American citizens shortly at US taxpayers expense .

Fixed!

and sorry, if you're in some shit hole country that starts to go belly up, you should be responsible for your own exfil! pisses me off to no end that we'll be paying a shitload of $$$ for this "airlift"

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:17:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

lol

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FerFAL calls it again.

Not accurate. FerFAL has a distinctly different take than Tappan and the like.

The value of a rural retreat being one of the most distinct differences.

Yeah becuase tappan and ragnar were the only ones back then..

Money and preparedness is no new thing.

lookup howard ruff for starters.......His 1st book is older than FF.

Besides his(ferfal) urban vs rural opinion, most of his views/ideas are not new. Just written from his perspective,  and how they relate to his experiances( in other words his opinion).

Agian.

Money in hand will do what right now?

Cant get a gun- they arent there..

cant get food shortly- not there ( hell read ferfals accounts..even he said in his early blogs and even his book that he wished he had stocked up more  food than what he did)

Cant get you outta dodge- little to late for that....

Buy you protection- maybe...
You wanna  argue about his opinion im all for it...its no secert i disagree with some of his views.But dont point fingers at him like he's all knowing prophet of upcoming doom with a " told you so.."  and not expect people to "call" it out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Egypt is running out of basic food supplies also.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01/30/egypt.protests.food/index.html?hpt=C1

CNN) –– While discontent, resentment and nationalism continue to fuel demonstrations, one vital staple is in short supply: food.
Many
families in Egypt are fast running out of staples such as bread, beans
and rice and are often unable or unwilling to shop for groceries.

"Everything
is running out. I have three children, and I only have enough to feed
them for maybe two more days. After that I do not know what we will do."
school administrator Gamalat Gadalla told CNN.

The unrest has paralyzed daily life in Egypt with many grocers closing shop and spotty food shipments.

"With the curfew, there are no restaurants, food or gas. Basic goods
will soon be in shortage," Sandmonkey, an Egyptian blogger said via
Twitter.

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak
has ordered a curfew in Egypt to be extended from 3 p.m. to 8 a.m. on
Monday, further stifling normal life in the embattled nation.

Egyptian
state-run Nile TV has set up a hotline for citizens to call in and
report bread shortages. There has been no other indication of what the
Egyptian government is doing to address the crisis.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
the Muslim Brotherhood will fix it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Always keep you preps up to date.  Everybody should be able to survive a few weeks with ZERO INPUT FROM SOCIETY.

It's not complicated, just do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#20]
time to break out the silver and do some bartering
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#21]
If this continues, it could be SHTF in the next couple of days in Egypt...  Interesting times.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If everyone is dead there will be no food shortage.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm certain it's to the point that silver and gold have no value. That's what always happens when SHTF, right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#24]
2 million people right now in the streets right now in Cairo
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#25]
why hasn't Obama raised his hands and spoken and calmed the carnage over there?

GR
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:38:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Now thats funny.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If everyone is dead there will be no food shortage.

Long Pork
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

GR

hes already got one in your wallet and one with a firm grip on your sack...give the man a break! he cant be everywhere!!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Is there an estimate of how many Americans are in Egypt right now?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching CNN @ 0500. They just reported that all banks and ATM's in Cairo are closed, and is a trend that is going to spread throughout Egypt today. The citizens are trying to get to their money, most to buy food, and there's no money to get. Credit and Debit cards are not being honored, and the US is going to attempt a mass evacuation of American citizens shortly at US taxpayers expense .

Fixed!

and sorry, if you're in some shit hole country that starts to go belly up, you should be responsible for your own exfil! pisses me off to no end that we'll be paying a shitload of $$$ for this "airlift"

Exactly.  Unless you work at the embassy, you find your own damn way back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Don't know the total but i heard on the radio this morn that they flew 1400 people out already and expected 1200 more today.  How long can that rate go on?  IDK.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:48:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Always keep you preps up to date.  Everybody should be able to survive a few weeks with ZERO INPUT FROM SOCIETY.

It's not complicated, just do it.

Amen!  It will happen here.  Horde a little bit more week after week.  Trim out what you don't need.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I had heard on fox the other day that there is something like 20,000 americans in the country registered with the embassy.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GR

hes already got one in your wallet and one with a firm grip on your sack...give the man a break! he cant be everywhere!!

Shit- that was the implication when he got elected; he was gonna lower the sea level and heal all the world's ills with his hopey-changey magic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top