User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 10:27:14 PM EDT

Cash no longer king in Discovery Bay

By Hannah Dreier

Contra Costa Times

Posted: 01/19/2011 10:46:39 PM PST

Updated: 01/21/2011 05:50:41 PM PST

DISCOVERY BAY –– Starting in May, residents no longer will have the option of paying for town services, including public records requests, with cash.

The Discovery Bay Community Services District board voted this week to ban cash transactions for all services, including water bills and park reservations.

Board members said the new policy will ensure the safety of town clerks and save the district time and money, but some say it is also a response to anonymous requests

for public records the town has received. Those requesting records anonymously have been using cash to pay for the cost of copying the documents.

Resident Don Flint, who is often critical of the board, noted that the district began receiving anonymous records requests last fall –– it has so far received four –– and

charged that the board was attempting to limit access to public information. "I'm troubled that the board takes steps to limit people's access to records," he said. "I think

that you guys are overstepping if not the letter then the spirit of the law." Directors Mark Simon, Chris Steele and Kevin Graves said the new policy is not a response to

these anonymous requests. The presence of cash at town offices might endanger staff by attracting thieves, the directors said, though they acknowledged that this has

never happened. The directors also cited the staff time the district spends bringing cash payments to the local bank. "The main concern is the safety of our employees and

the second is the efficiency with which we do our jobs," Graves said. But former director David Piepho, who retired from the board in December, a month after the no-cash

policy was introduced, says the change was designed to put an end to anonymous requests, which he believes are inappropriate.

"You'll find that a lot of the rules that the CSD deals with are created because of the same four or five antagonists," he said. "They're made because people acted in such a

way that a rule needed to be made." Board member Brian Dawson called the anonymous requests "cowardly" and indicative of "bad intentions."

"It's happenstance that I don't really care for," he said. Discovery Bay is home to a group of residents whom officials say are uncommonly antagonistic toward local

government. The town, which receives about seven records requests each month, recently began publishing the names of those requesting public records in the agendas

for its biweekly meetings. General Manager Rick Howard said the no-cash policy will have the "side benefit" of creating accountability among those requesting information.

He noted that no one ever picked up copies made for one of the recent anonymous requests, frustrating city staff."When we got anonymous requests, we don't know if

people are going to come in and get this stuff or not pick them up," he said. "If it never gets picked up, we don't have any recourse to contact them."

Public records requests must be answered within 10 days, according to state law. Requests still may be made anonymously because a person who goes to inspect public

records, for which no fee can be charged, doesn't have to provide identifying information.Piepho says he hopes the new policy will make it harder for antagonistic residents

to use records requests as a weapon. "They want to be like snipers and take shots," he said, "but they don't want the spotlight on them." Residents will be able to use

checks, credit or debit cards and money orders to pay for town services.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh.  I guess I'm all out of give a fuck today.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pushing really hard for my local village to go cashless.

Easier for residents, and no money in the Village Offices. No counting down drawers or walking/transporting money to the bank.

Easier and safer.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Dig a well in your basement, put up enough solar panels to run it and a fridge.

When they ask for taxes offer them cash.  If they don't take it get it in writing that they refused payment.  Document the fact.

eta:

Discovery Bay is home to a group of residents whom officials say are uncommonly antagonistic toward local

government. The town, which receives about seven records requests each month, recently began publishing the names of those requesting public records in the agendas

for its biweekly meetings. General Manager Rick Howard said the no-cash policy will have the "side benefit" of creating accountability among those requesting information.

He noted that no one ever picked up copies made for one of the recent anonymous requests, frustrating city staff."When we got anonymous requests, we don't know if

people are going to come in and get this stuff or not pick them up," he said. "If it never gets picked up, we don't have any recourse to contact them."

Uh, how about you just make them pay cash UPFRONT?  Then who cares if they come back for the records or not?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier

Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

'Legal tender' doesn't mean what you think it does.

All that means, is they have to take Dollars.

There is NO LAW requiring anyone to take paper currency/change.

It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to say 'Sorry, Check or Credit only' - and MANY places do it, including most airlines for in-flight service....

As for municipalities, it makes sense - SAVES THEM MONEY...

That, and it must be especially funny when some butthurt asshole drags in a giant bag of pennies to pay a fine, and the clerk can tell him to pound sand...

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope my town doesn't do this.  I like using cash.  I don't have to keep track of a balance in my checking account.  No balancing a checkbook when the statement comes.  I know how, dad made sure of that, I just don't like to.  I go to the atm, withdraw some cash, and I know that the amount on the receipt is the actual amount I have to spend because all of my withdrawals are through atms.  The only time of the month I have to worry about keeping track are at the very beginning of the month when I use checks to pay my bills.  (Screw that $3 processing fee for paying online shit.  A stamp is <$.50)

I know a lot of people like not having to worry about cash, and that's fine, but I won't be happy having to switch to thinking "what's my balance?" vs. my current "I'll open my wallet and know exactly, without a doubt, how much money I have available to spend."  If some unexpected urge to spend comes up, I can whip out my credit card and pay it off with a check when I pay the rest of my bills.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to say 'Sorry, Check or Credit only' - and MANY places do it, including most airlines for in-flight service....

That, and it must be especially funny when some butthurt asshole drags in a giant bag of pennies to pay a fine, and the clerk can tell him to pound sand...

Wrong.

Legal tender for all debts private and public.

If the city government is charging for services through mandatory fees or taxes assessed to the residents, then that is a debt that they MUST accept cash in payment for.  They cannot refuse payment in legal tender or risk nullification of the debt.

The records request thing will probably stand up, tho.  That isn't a debt until the service has been provided.

But traffic fines?  You bet your ass that clerk would have to take the pennies.  Such shenanigans are an old standby prank.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to say 'Sorry, Check or Credit only'  - and MANY places do it, including most airlines for in-flight service....

So would that not mean the .gov was mandating you have a bank account?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

Wrong.

Legal tender for all debts private and public.

If the city government is charging for services through mandatory fees or taxes assessed to the residents, then that is a debt that they MUST accept cash in payment for.  They cannot refuse payment in legal tender or risk nullification of the debt.

The records request thing will probably stand up, tho.  That isn't a debt until the service has been provided.

But traffic fines?  You bet your ass that clerk would have to take the pennies.  Such shenanigans are an old standby prank.

This.  _A poster does not know the law here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier

Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to say 'Sorry, Check or Credit only'  - and MANY places do it, including most airlines for in-flight service....

You could always buy Visa gift cards.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

Equally funny to write a check on your dirty undies, or pay with a personalized credit card that features a picture of your ass.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#11]
So they are only taking the real currency now?  Gold, right?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm pushing really hard for my local village to go cashless.

Easier for residents, and no money in the Village Offices. No counting down drawers or walking/transporting money to the bank.

Easier and safer.

Av.

I am not typing all this in response to what you wrote AV, just typing in one post to save bandwidth.

Seriously its a cost of doing business the handling of money and associated costs such as paying the city clerk as part of their daily duties everyday to make a bank deposit. Many cities and Federal agencies hire a Armed Courier/ Brinks to handle their money..
Also large and small Police depts conduct daily deposits forsome of their city offices everyday in every city across the USA.

If someone does not have a checking account or Credit card and a money order has to be purchased, someone in that town has to go to the bank and carry the cash..Its passing the burden  to Gas station clerk who takes the money for a money order vs,city employees, Passin the safety burden..In addition their will be costs of accepting credit cards merchant fees which is 3-6% for the city..What about costs of hiring new tech support to help some old lady or man how to pay a bill online ect.

Can they find a way to get away with it? Sure..
Is it a disservice to the citizens that office serves?YES.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

No, you can get a money order.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

Still the city .gov is requiring one to buy services from a particular private business and pay for that service of buying  a money order. Since money orders are on demand and you need an amount when that months bill is due, or fine ect your stuck on where you can buy it. Say that small town has only one gas station that is owned by a Family member or friend of City Council member.Which benefits and profits from the sale of money orders right across the street from the City clerks office, where payments are to be accepted.  Elected  and Appointed officials do this kind of crap all the time to benefit family or friends..I seen it happen everyday working for either a city,county and state govt's my entire working life.

A money order can costs Anywhere from $1-3 at a gas station,or $2 at the post office if the town has one and they are only open during bank hours, and some post offices dont carry money orders....In addition, a money order can be held just like any personal check until funds are cleared which takes alot longer than a check..Many banks and companies no longer accept money orders.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

A money order can costs Anywhere from $1-3 at a gas station,or $1 at the post office if the town has one and they are only open during bank hours, and some post offices dont carry money orders....In addition, a money order can be held just like any personal check until funds are cleared which takes alot longer than a check..Many banks and companies no longer accept money orders.

If a particular gas station owned by a Family member or friend of City Council member benefits and profits from the sale of money orders right across the street from the City clerks office, where payments are to be accepted.  Elected officials or appointed do this kind of crap all the time to benefit family or friends..

Ok, but that isn't mandating that you have a bank account.

I've never had a money order take longer than a personal check... much quicker actually.  Have they gotten slower, it's been a while since I got one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:57:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

By Hannah Dreier
Contra Costa Times

<SNIP>

A money order can costs Anywhere from $1-3 at a gas station,or $1 at the post office if the town has one and they are only open during bank hours, and some post offices dont carry money orders....In addition, a money order can be held just like any personal check until funds are cleared which takes alot longer than a check..Many banks and companies no longer accept money orders.

If a particular gas station owned by a Family member or friend of City Council member benefits and profits from the sale of money orders right across the street from the City clerks office, where payments are to be accepted.  Elected officials or appointed do this kind of crap all the time to benefit family or friends..

Ok, but that isn't mandating that you have a bank account.

I've never had a money order take longer than a personal check... much quicker actually.  Have they gotten slower, it's been a while since I got one.

I understand that and have not made an argument against you regarding .gov mandated bank account, but do restrict who you have to do business to purchase the money order where conflicts and fraud and abuse can occur..

Also the ignored fact the City Officials are forgetting that they are to service the Citizens, not the other way around..

Anyway Checks can be cleared instantly(as fast a Credit card) if the merchant subscribes to a verifying  service of sufficient funds otherwise it goes in the deposit bag to the bank at the end of the day..A money order does not offer such a service and can takes days to weeks to actually clear..Money orders are basically a "trusted", which some merchants trust the note saying they will pay funds. Kindas like how the US dollar is accepted worldwide, becuase its backed by "Full faith and Credit of the US Govt"..

Point is it a cost of doing business, accepting cash esp. when it comes to items that are not billed and mailed to be payed in 30 days. The acceptance of a check, credit card, or money order all these methods of payments have have fees probably more than handling of cash as I worte in prior post in this thread...Some employee still has to physically take checks,money orders ect to be deposited at the bank or a courier deliver it to the bank just as cash would be..are using a Bullshit excuse so they can try and obtain information of "anonymous sequesters" for whatever reason and sounds like someone could profit from the changes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top