Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 6:53:33 PM EDT
Guys,
Just found out I'll be heading to Fort Wainwright this spring or summer and will be assigned to 1/25 SBCT.  Anyone ever been stationed up there?  Any feedback you can shoot this way would be appreciated.  I like to hunt and fish.....hopefully I'll get a chance to do that a little.  Any family stuff to do there (I've go two girls, 2 and 5, and a wife).  I hope I've not bit off more than they can chew.  Thanks for any info you can send this way.
B
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Winter clothes you're going to need them especially for the little girls.

Remember shipping up there a cost of living can be higher due to the remoteness. So things you think you might want, might be cheaper to get before you go.

Have fun, I'm looking at relocating up there in about 24 months.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Pre-warn your wife of mandatory S&W 500 mag purchase
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you get a driver license in Fairbanks, it'll be made on the system I installed there.  Nice folks in that office.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Get your self ready for -60 degree winters lolol
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm from the south.  I've been getting acclimated to cold weather while being stationed in KS.  I'm not looking forward to extremely cold weather, but hopefully the hunting will be good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I live 1.5 hrs south of FWA.  Stationed at Ft Greely.  Fairbanks has everything you need (wally world and all the other crap that keeps the wife happy )  

Cold weather clothing is had much cheaper at thrift shops up here; the tourists buy it and can't take it back with them due to weight/baggage restrictions.  Bring all the ammo you can, its a bit pricey here.  If you can afford a utility trailer down there and can bring it up, you'll be able to sell it here for more than you paid for it.  Also, bring an ATV if you can, they cost a bit more up here.  If you can afford it get an auto-start installed on your vehicle too.  Feel free to email me with questions, been here just over 3 years.  Or head over to the hometown forum.  

BTW fashion/style wise, AK is stuck in the 80's. jeans and a tshirt are acceptable dress for nice dinners
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live 1.5 hrs south of FWA.  Stationed at Ft Greely.  Fairbanks has everything you need (wally world and all the other crap that keeps the wife happy )  

Cold weather clothing is had much cheaper at thrift shops up here; the tourists buy it and can't take it back with them due to weight/baggage restrictions.  Bring all the ammo you can, its a bit pricey here.  If you can afford a utility trailer down there and can bring it up, you'll be able to sell it here for more than you paid for it.  Also, bring an ATV if you can, they cost a bit more up here.  If you can afford it get an auto-start installed on your vehicle too.  Feel free to email me with questions, been here just over 3 years.  Or head over to the hometown forum.  

BTW fashion/style wise, AK is stuck in the 80's. jeans and a tshirt are acceptable dress for nice dinners

thanks,
i will head over to the home town forum.  i'll be sure to stock up on reloading gear before I head up.  how hard is it to get guns through canada?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't try and bring handguns into Canada (especially a Para Ordnance).   Which is really funny since it was made in Canada.
They have very strict regulations about this.   You would be better off either shipping to a dealer up there or checking them in the belly of an airplane and preferably just fly OVER Cananda on a direct flight.

http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#9]
If you get enough time off to hunt & fish, there's certainly plenty of it to be done.

The fishing on the Kenai Peninsula (not just the Kenai River) is truly world class.

Make the trip to Homer at least once.  Take your camera.

You can't possibly see it all, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Take pictures everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're going to 1/25 SBCT, expect to be deploying ASAP. Unless you know otherwise, of course.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Try not to end up on Alaska State Troopers show I was surprised that the state police does the majority of the work up there especially the wildlife ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top