Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 6:38:35 PM EDT
http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/msassaultweapons/highcapacity

Q. What is a large capacity ammunition magazine?

A. A magazine is a device for feeding bullets into a handgun or rifle. Standard hunting rifles are usually equipped with no more than 5-shot magazines, standard revolvers are 6-shot, and standard pistol magazines hold 6-10 rounds. But large capacity ammunition magazines can hold 30, 50 or even 100 rounds, enabling shooters to injure or kill many people in seconds before needing to reload. Semi-automatic pistols with large capacity magazines can fire at a rate of more than 6 shots per second for well trained shooters, according to the FBI,(source) or about 30 shots every 5 seconds.

For all you people that use the term 'high capacity'

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They're actually called Standard capacity, but hey, using things as their proper terms are never convenient when you're trying to eat away at the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Large capacity ammunition magazines are designed to enable shooting mass numbers of people quickly and efficiently without reloading. They are not useful for hunting or self-defense.

*sigh*
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They're actually called Standard capacity, but hey, using things as their proper terms are never convenient when you're trying to eat away at the 2nd Amendment.

They are called standard capacity now, but back when the wonder 9's were getting hot everyone advertised them as "high capacity". Just like the industry called semi auto paramilitary rifles "assault rifles" Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Talk is cheap.

Getting legislation passed, winning elections, and obtaining favorable court decisions is expensive.

The Brady Bunch are talking in the hopes that donations continue in the wake of all the defeats they have suffered where it counts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are called standard capacity now, but back when the wonder 9's were getting hot everyone advertised them as "high capacity". Just like the industry called semi auto paramilitary rifles "assault rifles" Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!

Back in the 1980s many new 9x19mm pistols that came on the US market came with 15 round magazines standard.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in the 1980s many new 9x19mm pistols that came on the US market came with 15 round magazines standard.

Let me clarify, gun magazines liked to coin words like that. Remember them describing the black talon as the Riiiiiping bullet?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell the brady campaign: Suck It!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#8]
“The Brady Campaign” is a known racist hate group dedicated to depriving millions of Americans of their basic Civil Rights. Tell Congress to put a stop to the hate of anti Civil Rights groups like the Brady Campaign. Support legislation which would deny government contracts to the big corporations that support hate groups like the Brady Campaign.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Semi-automatic pistols with large capacity magazines can fire at a rate of more than 6 shots per second for well trained shooters, according to the FBI

Semi autos spitting out 6 shots a second huh.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Semi-automatic pistols with large capacity magazines can fire at a rate of more than 6 shots per second for well trained shooters, according to the FBI

Jerry Miculek fired 5 shots on one target, out of a S&W Model 64, in 0.57 seconds and used a Model 627 to shoot 8 shots on one target in 1.00 seconds.

Until your trigger finger fatigues, cyclic rates of 5 to 8 rounds per second are feasible.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Jesus Christ liberals are stupid as fuck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Can a G18 even do 6 per second in full auto?

I know damn well that I cannot spit out 6 rounds per second, and I have had a lot of practice at this... much more than the VT or Tucson shooters.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Talk is cheap.

Getting legislation passed, winning elections, and obtaining favorable court decisions is expensive.

The Brady Bunch are talking in the hopes that donations continue in the wake of all the defeats they have suffered where it counts.

Seeing people in Egypt carrying weapons to protect their homes and businesses kills the Brady arguements.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I know damn well that I cannot spit out 6 rounds per second, and I have had a lot of practice at this... much more than the VT or Tucson shooters.

A Glock with a sear fires 11 rounds a second or so. Me shooting my converted G17 with a sear.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Talk is cheap.

Seeing people in Egypt carrying weapons to protect their homes and businesses kills the Brady arguements.

Of course; but I don't think that they actually believe in the bullshit they spew, they're making their livelihood braying against guns and collecting donations from suckers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I was going to say, I don't need "clips" larger than 10 rounds!  And really, I'm fine if they limit clips to 8 rounds.

I hardly ever use my 10 round stripper clips for .223 or 7,62x39, so whatever, but my 8-round En Blocs feed my Garand just fine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jerry Miculek fired 5 shots on one target, out of a S&W Model 64, in 0.57 seconds and used a Model 627 to shoot 8 shots on one target in 1.00 seconds.

Until your trigger finger fatigues, cyclic rates of 5 to 8 rounds per second are feasible.

Jerry was not shooting a "semi-auto" though.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jerry was not shooting a "semi-auto" though.

BigDozer66

Oh, teh noes!!!

Ban "High Powered" standard revolvers!!

It's for the children.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ahh, that is minor.  Just like a standard laptop battery has 6 cells and an "high capacity" battery has 9 cells.  MUCH less worried about advertising, unless they come out with the "MAXI-KILL SUPER CAPACITY, SLAUGHTER MAGAZINE"
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I just spoke with a dumbass at NY against gun violence.

from what I was told Glocks that can accept high velocity magazine are only sold outside of NY.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Browning Hi-Power came out in 1935.

Quoted:

Large capacity ammunition magazines are designed
to enable shooting mass numbers of people quickly and efficiently
without reloading. They are not useful for hunting or self-defense.

*sigh*

I guess that means that police carry firearms not for self defense but to enable shooting mass numbers of people quickly and efficiently without reloading...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Yep, we should all use safe, slow, low capacity revolvers:

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ahh, that is minor.  Just like a standard laptop battery has 6 cells and an "high capacity" battery has 9 cells.  MUCH less worried about advertising, unless they come out with the "MAXI-KILL SUPER CAPACITY, SLAUGHTER MAGAZINE"

Ooooh, I need 10 of these SUPER KILL SLAUGHTER MAGAZINES!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

from what I was told Glocks that can accept high velocity magazine are only sold outside of NY.  

Do they know its called a Glock 17 instead of a Glock 10 for a reason?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they know its called a Glock 17 instead of a Glock 10 for a reason?

The glock model 17 has nothing to do with its magazine capacity (which is 17+1=18 by the way)...

The glock 17 was Gaston Glock's 17th patent.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, the Walther P88 my Dad bought new as a duty weapon in the 80's came factory with two 15 round magazines.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A Glock with a sear fires 11 rounds a second or so. Me shooting my converted G17 with a sear.

Dang... DO WANT!!!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A. A magazine is a device for feeding bullets into a handgun or rifle. Standard hunting rifles are usually equipped with no more than 5-shot magazines, standard revolvers are 6-shot, and standard pistol magazines hold 6-10 rounds. But large capacity ammunition magazines can hold 30, 50 or even 100 rounds, enabling shooters to injure or kill many people in seconds before needing to reload. Semi-automatic pistols with large capacity magazines can fire at a rate of more than 6 shots per second for well trained shooters, according to the FBI,(source) or about 30 shots every 5 seconds.

Damned Jerry Mikulek getting us all in trouble!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#29]
The glock high capacity ones jam too much anyways.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a war of semantics.

I say we call them Freedom-phobic or Ameri-phobic.

They want to remove all aspects of free choice and personal responsibility.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Fuck Obama & the Brady Bunch!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The korean made glock high capacity ones jam too much anyways.

Fixed it for you.  I have probably fired 750+ rounds through glock 9mm 33 round mags without one single issue.

A buddy got those $10 korean knock-offs and it jammed several times on him.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#33]
"STANDARD CAPACITY" these days varies by caliber.

for 9mm, I'd say 15 is standard, but I think 18 is the upper limit for standard.  Anything that sticks out of the handle substantially technically could be called extended.

For .40 S&W, 13-15 is standard, and for .45 ACP, 10-13 is standard (unless a single stack is used)

So, WTF are they talking about...6-10 is standard for a semi-auto?

That's not even the point really...call it what you like...there should never be a limit...
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A 100 round beta drum is not 'standard capasity'.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh... Yeah
This is the Glock SEAR that we built years ago.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 100 round beta drum is not 'standard capasity'.

yes it is, its standard for the Beta mag
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
The Brady Campaign can BLOW ME.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Denoting a revolver as a relatively "benign" firearm.  Yet, that's exactly the firearm type that "got" Sarah Brady into the whole gun control debate, isn't it?  

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Large capacity ammunition magazines are designed to enable shooting mass numbers of people quickly and efficiently without reloading. They are not useful for hunting or self-defense.

*sigh*

This is why "we the people" don't need them, but cops do.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Homies with Large Ammo Clips that shoot through schools and shoot down airliners!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top