Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2011 2:47:53 PM EDT
So I go up to the NFS land that is designated for target shooting in my local area. Basically shooting into a dirt berm on the side of a mountain. Maybe 25 yards at most, no benches or anything. Basically just a berm and some gravel to park on.

I get there and proceed to set up a couple of USPS boxes I'd gotten in lately with the Shoot-N-See targets stuck on. Unholster my carry G19 and switch my carry ammo mag out for a 33rnd mag with some fed bulk pack and start plinking. Everything is cool, and I pause to watch two guys down at the end throwing clays away from me over the woods and popping them with a semi-auto 12 gauge.

I run through about 4 33rnd mags, and start reloading the last 100 rounds. I notice the guys have switched and the guy that was throwing is now shooting. I go back to what I'm doing and set up a new box and target and head back over to my car. I get my ear-pro on, and slap a mag in my gun and when I look up I see this stupid mother fucker swing this 12 gauge in my immediate direction, and I froze solid like a fucking ice sculpture. Then I see the blast as he fires directly over me. Force of training I draw down, instinct told me he had just taken a shot at me, until I realized the orange shit falling on me and my car was a clay.

Apparently Moron number 1 wasn't paying attention and whipped the clay in the wrong direction. Moron #2 was just tracking the clay and failed to realize he was shooting directly over me, until he came off his sights and saw me and my WTF YOU STUPID CUNT look I was giving him with my G19 pointed at him. He lowered the shotgun, and about that time I holstered the gun, and unholstered my ass chewing tone of voice. I don't think I've cussed or yelled that much in my entire life.

They packed up and left, and I considered calling the local PD, but just packed up and came home.

Good news is the 3.5lb connector solved my high and left problem.

Yeah I know CSB, bite me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
this is why I gladly pay $100/year to be a member of a private club with our own very nice facilities and overall fewer number of retards
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
this is why I gladly pay $100/year to be a member of a private club with our own very nice facilities and overall fewer number of retards

+1

I pay $100 and 5 hours of work a year. Well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Force of training I draw down, instinct told me he had just taken a shot at me, until I realized the orange shit falling on me and my car was a clay.

I always get a kick out of stuff like that in these types of threads.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I pay $25 to the club 5 minutes down the road. I would gladly pay more, as its still one of the nicest ranges I have ever been too.

Search around OP, good private clubs are around, and well worth the premium.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I would not be amused.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
What?  You don't like adrenaline & toxic powder raining down on you?  Sheesh, some people are so sensitive...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
until he came off his sights and saw me and my WTF YOU STUPID CUNT look I was giving him with my G19 pointed at him.

They packed up and left, and I considered calling the local PD, but just packed up and came home.

You brought your weapon to bear.  You should have called.

Why?  because if he decided to place a call to the PD, you're the bad guy who was brandishing a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
until he came off his sights and saw me and my WTF YOU STUPID CUNT look I was giving him with my G19 pointed at him.

Why?  because if he decided to place a call to the PD, you're the bad guy who was brandishing a weapon.

Yeah, not a good idea.

If he was intentionally shooting at you, then sure, but from what you describe, a draw-down wasn't in order.

Carry on.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
[/quote]

Why?  because if he decided to place a call to the PD, you're the bad guy who was brandishing a weapon.[/quote]

He's right.  Anytime you feel threatened enough to draw.  You should be the FIRST VICTIM to call the cops.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Force of training I draw down, instinct told me he had just taken a shot at me, until I realized the orange shit falling on me and my car was a clay.

No kidding. At that point, he's relishing the opportunity to point a gun at someone.

"Oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man! I get to tell ARFCOM about a drawdown!"

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do as well, I wonder what part of the OP's training has people aiming and firing shotguns over his head, that "force of training" has him drawing down.
Must be some neat reactive/interactive targets he works with.

Muscle memory from training will definitely have an effect in the real world, such as constant failure drills or double taps on the range translating into a failure drill or double tap in a true life encounter.
The choice to raise the firearm and "draw down" on someone has nothing to do with on the range training, and is all mental, decision making based on the circumstances.

Based on said circumstances, OP, I would say that you were just as in the wrong as they were when you choose to "draw down" on them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Big +1.   Same here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Force of training I draw down...

My force of training would have been to hit the dirt or get to cover FIRST.

Glad you are okay.  This kind of horse shit is why I joined a private club too.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#14]
This is why I love the fact that I have the ability to go out in the middle of nowhere and shoot anytime I want with nobody else around me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand being super pissed, but Id have left the smokewagon in leather.

If you draw on someone that quick and dont shoot, someday you will draw on someone who IS shooting at you, and you will lose.

I guess I look at it like this, your mind read this as a threat, a deadly threat, and you did not shoot.

A man had a gun aimed at you, and fired it, and you did not return fire.  How much more escalation of threat do you need to pull the trigger?

"Well he wasnt shooting at me, so I didnt fire"

Well then leave the gun pointed somewhere else, and chew his ass appropriately.

Arm Chair QB I know...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Drawing down on some unsafe gun handling?  And standing still was the wrong thing if someone is swinging at a low bird. You hit the dirt.

You are damn lucky they didn't call the popo on you.

Two guys shooting skeet vs tactical ninja with same gear as AZ shooter ie Glock and 33 rd mags with all that training kicking in

Yeah, who are the cops gonna believe?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I don't think this is going to go like the OP intended.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Force of training I draw down...

My force of training would have been to hit the dirt or get to cover FIRST.

Glad you are okay.  This kind of horse shit is why I joined a private club too.

My force training would allow me to use telekinesis to take the shotgun from his hands.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I only use my department's range now because of stuff like this.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#20]
What?!?! A draw-down story with no MS Paint? FAIL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this still page one? Am I in?

And where is the blading and massive adrenaline dump?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Anytime I point a gun at someone I call the cops at the first safe opportunity.  It's worked out ok for me so far.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is this still page one? Am I in?

And where is the blading and massive adrenaline dump?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It is and you are
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What?!?! A draw-down story with no MS Paint? FAIL.

On a Mac no paint.

And since I wasn't clear enough in the OP when I saw the muzzle blast I drew my weapon. I had no idea WTF was going on. I did not see the clay as it was directly above me, and from where I was standing I had no idea why the guy was pointed a loaded shotgun in my immediate direction or why he decided to fire it. Whole sequence took maybe 6 seconds.

I don't think I've ever been so fucking scared in my life. As soon as the guy dropped his sights he saw me and lowered his shotgun, I holstered immediately and the ass chewing went in to full swing. The guy knew he fucked up, and as I was yelling at him, he was yelling at the guy throwing the clays.

ETA Obviously the limited training I have had failed horribly. I froze up, and when I snapped out I did the only thing that seemed to make sense at that exact moment.

Hindsight I should have called the cops or the Ranger for the area, As far as hitting dirt, yeah probably should have done that as well, but like I said we're talking a matter of maybe 6 seconds and I admit that I froze up. Then again I'm not LEO or .mil, and I've only been carrying and taking classes for going on 2 years.

Sorry I'm not Tier 1, but let the ball busting continue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
You handled better than I think I would have.

I've had several close calls, one was real close due to a dumbass and I'm talking arms length with a loaded 30-30 that was still cocked while he was getting in my Bronco. Dude in the back seat told me later, it was pointed at my head, cocked & loaded.

I went Ballistic!

Danny
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Me too... $150.00 here... less full retard.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
i once told an idiot shooting 5-stand that if he came out of his box and fired across my face again, i'd be returning fire.
The RO pulling the birds didn't care for that; I pointed out that the majority of his job involved range safety, and that he needed to start fucking doing just that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Dick Cheney was at a private club.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Less weaksauce and more drawing down...

B_S
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#33]
No reply to the MSpaint?

I fail.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#34]
This wasn't the Blacksburg range was it? A whole lot of WTF goes on there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#35]

thats tier 0 hilarious right there
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ditto, I belong to two, 150 total a year, retards are weeded out quickly and removed, and I have never been flagged, shot over, or irritated at either of them.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

thats tier 0 hilarious right there

lol thanks.

the g/f and I had a good laff from it.  really thought it would have stirred up the OP
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm having an incredibly difficult time understanding how your 3.5lb disconnector didn't accidentally double tap each of those guys. That's why I always carry a stock 5.5lb connector.  

Kidding of course. Glad to hear there are others using a 3.5lb for carry.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Did they get their sammiches before they left?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#40]
sounds like a typical day on a public dove field
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#41]
If you put "Drawdown" in your title, this thread will grow some legs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#43]
DTap
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't believe you had the balls to use a high capacity magazine clip in light of recent events. I think  rep. McCarthy should sit on your face with her nuts out. Maybe she is a teabagger, scary thought but I digress.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Sorry not going to get me worked up, but your paint skills are top notch.

ETA didn't work trying to draw it with lines.

Anyways the shit wound up over my head, dumb ass took a shot, and I failed to be Tier 1.

Pretty much sums things up. My point for this thread was to watch your 6 at these public ranges, because stupid shit happens frequently.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Anyways the shit wound up over my head, dumb ass took a shot, and I failed to be Tier 1.

Pretty much sums things up. My point for this thread was to watch your 6 at these public ranges, because stupid shit happens frequently.

You are quite correct to watch your 6 at public ranges.

Google the names "Platt and Matix" for further learning (in re: how they acquired their guns).

This is why, whenever I take one of my rifles to the range, I am also carrying my CCW piece even if I don't intend to shoot it.

(I always carry anyway, but the point is that after you have shot all your rifle ammo for the day, it is nice to still have something for security).

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I holstered the gun, and unholstered my ass chewing tone of voice.

LOL

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#49]

sorry to hear of your trouble

this is why I have my own range on my property - nobody to be able to shot me
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are quite correct to watch your 6 at public ranges.

Google the names "Platt and Matix" for further learning (in re: how they acquired their guns).

This is why, whenever I take one of my rifles to the range, I am also carrying my CCW piece even if I don't intend to shoot it.

(I always carry anyway, but the point is that after you have shot all your rifle ammo for the day, it is nice to still have something for security).

Good advice. There have been plenty of stories on Arfcom about shady individuals at public ranges disarming and sometimes killing aloof shooters and stealing their firearms. Even when ranges call a cease fire and head down to collect/place targets, I retain my CCW. Most ranges prohibit this, but I don't give a fvck. I've got family.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top