Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 1:21:51 PM EDT
When my aunt died a few years back, we ended up finding a box of really old books and I was wondering where to go to find their value and sell them. One is a 13 volume set of Shakespeare that was printed in 1865 1869 and other books from the 1800s. They don't seem to be in too bad condition but obviously they're not perfect. Any help?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
hmm, i too have been looking at this.  I have a couple 1st edition faulkners, one nabakov and some hemingway that might be worth some money.

tag for later and bump for a good post
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Contact John Payne at Payne-associates.com.  He has an appraisal service and if he can't help you he'll steer you in the right direction.

CP
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a publisher and collector of rare books. I focus on 16, 17 and 18th century theological books.

Here's the quickest way to get a ballpark idea of what the books are worth. Go to: http://www.bookfinder.com

You can see what *retailers* are selling used books for.

Keep in mind that unless you sell the book yourself on e-bay, you will *never* get retail for it.

People with old books generally expect to get way more for their books than they are worth. *If* you have a true first edition, in mint, excellent or very good condition, you could be looking at some real money, otherwise, not so much.

Have fun and happy hunting. If you have other questions, feel free to IM or e-mail me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a cool find.  Try Powell's in Portland, Oregon.  They deal in a lot of older stuff as well.  You'll need to google them.  Good luck .
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Half-Price Books, of course.

j/k interesting question, in to see answers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for that link. I have a bunch of WWI military manuals that I had no idea of their worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top