Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 8:47:41 AM EDT
Generally speaking......not the monster Gumbo platters they call plates and are served up down the street at Joe's Eatery ––––
but the kind we have at home, I.E., Corell, Mikasa, China, etc etc.   We have dinner plates we use daily, and some nice China we got as wedding gifts.....

For the average person and considering caloric in-take, size of portions and the likes?  
Have we (our society) developed, contributed the way we eat more?    
Discuss?  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not the size of plate, but what and how much you put on it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Big plates? OUTLAW them!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I just don't like square plates.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For the average person and considering caloric in-take, size of portions and the likes?  
Discuss?

I needed 3 plates for my dinner last night. And yet the total calories was just over 400.
The problem is the junk that passes for food these days.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Plates don't make people fat bad choices do.

If you fill your plate with fried chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes loaded with butter and more gravy, and cheese covered broccoli you are going to need to work your butt off literally.

If you fill your plate with a lean meat, and broccoli with little to no butter, and a reasonable portion of a starchy vegetable you are going to be fine.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you fill your plate with fried chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes loaded with butter and more gravy, and cheese covered broccoli you are going to need to work your butt off literally.

If you fill your plate with a lean meat, and broccoli with little to no butter, and a reasonable portion of a starchy vegetable you are going to be fine.

boooooo

eat the good stuff, just eat less of it

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#7]
A large plate made me fat!  /  Guns make people kill!

Fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I rarely use the big dinner plates anymore.

maybe only special occasions (friends/holidays, etc.)
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd rather have a bigger glass and a smaller plate.

But the standard 12" Corelle is fine.  More real estate helps us OCD folks from getting carrot-potato cross contamination.  

ETA:  Good cooking requires consistency, and you can't have that unless you measure, at least roughly.  Scales aren't just for calorie-counters.  e.g. weigh all your burgers out the same and they'll all cook the same.  Since you're measuring anyhow, just make sure you don't cook more than you plan on eating.  One 5-oz. burger is plenty for me, for example.  You'll save money because you won't throw food away and you don't have to worry about plate size because you've already determined how much you're going to eat long before it even hits the plate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

boooooo

Yeah but for you 'good stuff' just means 'bottle opener', not a 'twist top'.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell no!

I use 9" glass pie pans/plates for my dinner meals. Standard plates are no where near high enough to contain my dinners.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Spoons made Rosie ODonnel fat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

boooooo

That would be covered under the bad choices clause.

EG, it would be a good (smart) choice to avoid the tartar sauce at TRG's fish fry.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

boooooo

That would be covered under the bad choices clause.

EG, it would be a good (smart) choice to avoid the tartar sauce at TRG's fish fry.

Just pick out the green lumps. It ain't relish.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#16]
"Clean your plate, people in China are starving."

(I'm sure I wasn't the only kid whose mom said something like the above).

Portion sizes may have gotten bigger but I do not blame that for the increasing obesity in America.  I blame lack of physical activity and mental discipline.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Not really worried about the green lumps, more concerned about something "swimming" around in the tartar "sauce."

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Discuss?

I needed 3 plates for my dinner last night. And yet the total calories was just over 400.
The problem is the junk that passes for food these days.

BINGO
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Every buffet has small plates. But that don't stop people from piling them up or taking more plates at once.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#20]
You aren't going to fit a steak, a side of veggies, and rice or a potato on a saucer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#21]

I don't wish to make excuses for fat americans, but...dinner plates have indeed increased in size...about 33% since 1960.  From 9 inches to 12 inches.  That is one legitimate reason for the increase in caloric consumption by Americans...if they fill their plates.  The current salad plate was equivalent to the past dinner plate.

If I can find a link to the research on dinner plate size, I will post it.  Ah, here's a link saying restaurant plate sizes increased from 10 inches to 12 inches in the early 1990s. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16076842/

edit for link.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I sent ALL my plates to ADCO and had them turned down to a smaller diameter.  The work  was very good!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd rather have a bigger glass and a smaller plate.

But the standard 12" Corelle is fine.  More real estate helps us OCD folks from getting carrot-potato cross contamination.  

ETA:  Good cooking requires consistency, and you can't have that unless you measure, at least roughly.  Scales aren't just for calorie-counters.  e.g. weigh all your burgers out the same and they'll all cook the same.  Since you're measuring anyhow, just make sure you don't cook more than you plan on eating.  One 5-oz. burger is plenty for me, for example.  You'll save money because you won't throw food away and you don't have to worry about plate size because you've already determined how much you're going to eat long before it even hits the plate.

Lately I try to add up all the nutritional info as I cook, so as soon as it's done I can divide it into healthy portions based on that info. One portion goes on my plate, the rest goes into tupprware/ziploc for lunch the next few days.  There's never too much on the plate, regardless of size, and never a second helping because it's already packed away for a future meal.  Between that and tracking everything in MyFitnessPal ap on my phone, eating reasonable portions is a piece of cake. (Yeah right.. cake. Ha!)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Relax!

Once the ouzo starts to flow your plates won't last long.

Opa!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought this thread was about nipples.

And yes, dinner plate nipples are too big IMHO, but I won't turn a lady away
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Big plates? OUTLAW them!

You kid, but I have heard the left propose exactly that in the past.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I sent ALL my plates to ADCO and had them turned down to a smaller diameter.  The work  was very good!

Pretty good for a guy who has only been here less than a month... you wouldn't be familiar with Norcal would you?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty good for a guy who has only been here less than a month... you wouldn't be familiar with Norcal would you?

Nope!  I've owned ARs for many years.  ADCO's name/referals go beyond this site.

I'm new to the site, but not new to spending money on guns/ARs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#29]
2900 posts in 3 months is fucking stupid  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I read a survey once where even dietitians tended to put too much food on a plate for a proper serving if the plates are too big.

That being said, the last dish set my wife bought came with dinner plates so dang big they don't fit in the dishwasher very well. We tend to use the salad plates as dinner plates, much more reasonable portioning that way.

Yeah, I know, don't lump your food on your plate. Well, when there is available real estate on said plate, it is easier to not see how much food you are actually putting on there.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think the normal 12" plate is to large, just because you have space doesn't mean you have to fill it..

However the 24" plates we break out to use on holidays might be a bit large.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Eating off of salad plates is actually effective for some people trying to lose weight.

The real problem is most americans sit on ass all day and eat like they're manual laborers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a tax stamp for my big plate.  Rock and fucking roll.

I use a long spoon to stay further away from food.  

I have some Cincinnati Chili brewing as we speak.  I will serve it up on a big plate, 4-way.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#34]
My mom bought some new china and it doesn't fit in her cabinets.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#35]
All of my plates have that shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Oddly enough, I was just thinking this earlier tonight when i unloaded my dish washer.

We have nice plates that we registered for when we got married, but we also have some old walmart ones I used at my apartment when I was in college.  As I unloaded the dishwasher I realized that all of the walmart ones were dirty, while only 2 of the nice ones were.  The reason is that the nice ones are too big to use in the microwave, so they just don't get used much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top