Posted: 1/31/2011 6:38:13 AM EDT
How hard is it to do?
What is the pro & cons?
What would happen if I did?

I am just curious for down the road.
So any advice and $0.02 would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Get out and then come back in.  Air Force doesn't take 11Bs though.  But there's lots of Marines in the Army (all they do is talk about the Corps, but look at your uniform guy).
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Which branch you're in and which branch you want to go to is an important factor.

Also, how long you've been in, rank, type of discharge and reentry code.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How hard is it to do?

What is the pro & cons?

What would happen if I did?

I am just curious for down the road.

So any advice and $0.02 would be nice.

Had an Air Force guy in Boot with me.  He was a SSgt when he got out of the AF if I remember correctly and had to do Boot again.  Was a PFC when he graduated and on an accelarated promotion schedual to Sgt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which branch you're in and which branch you want to go to is an important factor.

Also, how long you've been in, rank, type of discharge and reentry code.

Well I was debating staying in the Navy for a few years and then going to the Army.
By the time I finish my bachelors I would like to try and become a Warant Officer in the Army

Again, this is just planning ahead and thinking about things

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The Coast Guard has tons of prior service members. At my unit alone we have three prior Navy, a prior AF, one prior Army and one prior Marine, thats out of twenty people.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure about active duty but it is pretty easy in the national guard. To go from the air force to army one just has to attend a 3 week transition school and then go to the MOS training if you have to.

Some jobs transfer over so you could avoid MOS training altogether. Security Forces can transfer to MP without going to MOS for example.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Well again, I was thinking of becoming a Warrant Officer in the Army.

Cause it seems the Navy doesn't have any Warrant Officers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I was AD Navy then went in the Nat'l Guard as an 11B. I do however have 4 friends of mine that went AD Army after getting out of the Navy. I was going to go AD Army but only with an 89D (EOD)MOS... Recruiter said they couldn't get prior service in as EOD but would be happy to get me 21B(Engineer). I said no thanks... not giving up civie Bomb Squad unless it's for EOD. Then had another recruiter offer it to me but now I'm divorced and don't want to leave my son for AD. If I was still married I'd be AD Army now.

ETA: Unless things changed... I "think" you have to complete your contract before they will let you switch branches... There were a few guys in the Guard that had gotten permission to leave to go AD. One was prior Navy, went in the Guard, then was accepted to Navy OCS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Come on in... the water's warm.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I went from AF Staff SGT to Army.  Had to start all over again, as a PV2, having had a long break in service.  I did get promoted very quickly to E5, due to my Time in Service.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was AD Navy then went in the Nat'l Guard as an 11B. I do however have 4 friends of mine that went AD Army after getting out of the Navy. I was going to go AD Army but only with an 89D (EOD)MOS... Recruiter said they couldn't get prior service in as EOD but would be happy to get me 21B(Engineer). I said no thanks... not giving up civie Bomb Squad unless it's for EOD. Then had another recruiter offer it to me but now I'm divorced and don't want to leave my son for AD. If I was still married I'd be AD Army now.

ETA: Unless things changed... I "think" you have to complete your contract before they will let you switch branches... There were a few guys in the Guard that had gotten permission to leave to go AD. One was prior Navy, went in the Guard, then was accepted to Navy OCS.

So serve out my full contract or my 4 years of active duty?
Just curious on that note as well.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I went from AF Staff SGT to Army.  Had to start all over again, as a PV2, having had a long break in service.  I did get promoted very quickly to E5, due to my Time in Service.

fuuuuuuck that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thats also another thing I was thinking about, is the whole starting over.

I am going into the Navy as an E3 and will rank up soon to a E4. I want to stay for a couple of years, but if I transfer over to the army I would hate to start at a E2 or something :

But I am close to a bachelors degree and wonder would the Army put me in the Warrant Officer program.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#14]
It is do able, but it may get more difficult as time progresses since I did see an article where both the Marine Corps and Army are cutting personnel.

It is a crap shoot but it can be done.  A buddy of mine was a SWO daddy that jumped ship and went Army Intel.  It worked out for him.  But you are going from enlisted to officer so there may be some slight differences.

Best advice, weigh your pros and cons and talk to guys who have done it recently, IE last 4-6 months.

Max
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Last time I checked, the Navy had Warrant Officers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going into the Navy as an E3 and will rank up soon to a E4. I want to stay for a couple of years, but if I transfer over to the army I would hate to start at a E2 or something :

But I am close to a bachelors degree and wonder would the Army put me in the Warrant Officer program.

What Warrant Officer Program do you want to go into?

The Navy still has/had Warrants....

For the Army, you have to have Enlisted time/Job Knowledge to become a Warrant, EXCEPT for the Warrant Officer Flight Program.  That's the once they've nicknamed "High School to Flight School".  You don't need any college to become an aviation Warrant, BUT, it helps in the selection process.

As far as switching between services, it can be tough, it can be easy, it can be impossible.....

It's called LUCK and TIMING.....

Are you already IN the NAVY?  Do you WANT to be an Army Aviator?  IF SO, go talk to an Army Recruiter TODAY.....And, if he/she won't talk to you about the Warrant Officer Flight Program, FIND ANOTHER ONE.....There are a TON in your town/area.  Some don't like to do it because it takes more time, and you don't get extra "POINTS" for it.  

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Have you signed a contract with the Navy yet?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wrong, has lots of chief warrant officers.  Normally there tech specialest officers.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like you havent entered the Navy yet and already thinking of changing branches? maybe you should just go Army instead?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the recruiters made it seem like they don't really do Warrant Officers anymore

Just going off what I heard. I didn't know for sure. That is why I am here asking.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#21]
AGAIN, the ONLY DIRECT ENTRY to Warrant Officer is the Army Warrant Officer Flight Program...

Every other branch that has Warrants, you HAVE to be enlisted FIRST, with Experience, THEN you can become a Warrant....

Usually, you've got to be AT LEAST an E-5, with a number of years of service to qualify.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the recruiters made it seem like they don't really do Warrant Officers anymore

Just going off what I heard. I didn't know for sure. That is why I am here asking.

If its like the uscg, you go in enlisted and when you make E6/7, down the road ten years or so you put in a warrant package for selection. You don't join as a warrant.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Have you signed a contract?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
AGAIN, the ONLY DIRECT ENTRY to Warrant Officer is the Army Warrant Officer Flight Program...

Every other branch that has Warrants, you HAVE to be enlisted FIRST, with Experience, THEN you can become a Warrant....

Usually, you've got to be AT LEAST an E-5, with a number of years of service to qualify.....

I understand now. Thanks for telling me.
Again thats why I said I would wait for a few years to gain experience.

I just wanted to see what you guys would have to say, since the majority of you have been in for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When did the Navy get rid of Warrants?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I just haven't heard much talk about them.
My recruiters made it seem like the Navy doesn't have many Warrant Officers.
I was just curious if this was true, cause I would like to shoot to be a Warrant Officer some day...
..and didn't know if the Navy had a active Warrant program anymore. From what I had heard from hear say.

Why i am hear asking you guys for input.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just curious if this was true, cause I would like to shoot to be a Warrant Officer some day...
..and didn't know if the Navy had a active Warrant program anymore. From what I had heard from hear say.

When I was in the USN advancing to Warrant was a long term goal. If IRC you had to have a minimum of 10 years active duty and be E7 in order to submit a warrant package. You would probably be better off looking at a program that allowed you to attend college on the USNs dime and get a commission after completion of your degree.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#28]
My advice?  If you're already in, don't sweat changing.  Just find a job you like and work there.

Staying enlisted with a bachelor's isn't in any way being "overqualified" or anything like that.  In fact, it'll help you make Chief faster.  And Navy Chiefs have a lot more fun than WOs.  But you don't get there overnight.

Your first priority should be to finish your degree.
#2 should be getting a billet you can live with - nobody gets a perfect job right out of the gate.  Just make sure it's a shipboard job.  EM/BM, GM, DRM/FF, etc.
#3 is to get on a ship ASAP and get some sea time under your belt.  While you're at sea, qual on everything you possibly can.  Just work your ass off.  You're in the middle of the ocean anyhow, what else is there to do?  Act like you're there to work and good things will happen to you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Lateral transfers are practically impossible.  I tried at the end of my 2nd enlistment to go USAF.

All the recruiters I talked to said they cant do shit while you still have an active enlistment.  You have to get out, then go back in.

I read somewhere some guys set it up where they get out for 1 day, then back in their new service.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So serve out my full contract or my 4 years of active duty?
Just curious on that note as well.

IIRC you had to finish your initial contract 3-4-6 years... whatever you're in for then you can switch. If you haven't left yet... Ie, still in DEP and want to go Army talk to an Army recruiter and see what they can do for you. Again... IIRC... you can change your mind about what you want to do until the point you get your ass on the plane. Once they pick you up to go to boot/ leave MEPS... your ass is theirs!

The guys I know just got out... then switched. in the long run it's easier. Don't listen to everything your recruiter tells you. If you want to go Navy... Go Navy. If you want to go Army go Army. If I could do it over again I'd probably go Army. One good thing I had the chance to travel the world in the Navy and made friends I will have for life!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I worked with some "retreads" during my time.  They were always very interesting people.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My advice?  If you're already in, don't sweat changing.  Just find a job you like and work there.

Staying enlisted with a bachelor's isn't in any way being "overqualified" or anything like that.  In fact, it'll help you make Chief faster.  And Navy Chiefs have a lot more fun than WOs.  But you don't get there overnight.

#2 should be getting a billet you can live with - nobody gets a perfect job right out of the gate.  Just make sure it's a shipboard job.  EM/BM, GM, DRM/FF, etc.
#3 is to get on a ship ASAP and get some sea time under your belt.  While you're at sea, qual on everything you possibly can.  Just work your ass off.  You're in the middle of the ocean anyhow, what else is there to do?  Act like you're there to work and good things will happen to you.

I am going to be a CSS on a submarine. So I will have sea time for sure.
I plain on taking classes to finish my bachelors while I am in.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I know a Army Capt, that became a Marine Cpl to be a Marine.  And I know of a Marine, that pull off an inter service transfer while on AD––his command was not happy at all, and they let him know, but he did it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you go.  Perfect plan.

Don't sweat the details about where you will/might end up.  Chances are, a great opportunity will come along that you weren't even expecting.  Work hard and check as many boxes as you can and great things will happen on their own accord.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Had I stayed in the Army, I would have pursued the Physician's Assistant program.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't sweat the details about where you will/might end up.  Chances are, a great opportunity will come along that you weren't even expecting.  Work hard and check as many boxes as you can and great things will happen on their own accord.

I would just like to advance and make a career out of this. I now think I will just stick Navy and put off even switching branches down the road.
Thanks alot for your input.

I just ask alot things cause I want to know alot of things. I just need to plan. So I like to know as much as I can about everything..... I do my research.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious why you would choose Warrant without knowing much about them. In the Navy they are culled from the CPO (E7-9) ranks. Think along the lines of 12+ years in, then deciding to do the next 10+ as a Warrant. They are technical experts that will forever more work in their field in that role only. They are actually growing with the opening up of the amount and types of jobs they can do. This coupled with adding the rank of CWO5 a few years ago makes it a growing program. I know the CS rate has a path. Good luck.

It's hard to be humble when you're a Mustang.

Warrants in the Navy come from the E7 to E9 ranks. They are career dudes that have technical expertise in their fields that they convey into the division officer world. The Warrant program is actually growing with billets opening up for the amount and types of jobs they can do. This coupled with the adding the CWO5 rank a few years ago has made it a more robust community. Think along the lines of 12+ years in having been selected somewhat early for Chief, then deciding to do the last 10+ in a Warrant uniform. CS' have a Warrant path. If you like working food service I guess...

When I was in the USN advancing to Warrant was a long term goal. If IRC you had to have a minimum of 10 years active duty and be E7 in order to submit a warrant package. You would probably be better off looking at a program that allowed you to attend college on the USNs dime and get a commission after completion of your degree.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#39]
So I am getting, just put that out of my plan for now, and focus on my degree and make rank when I can.

I guess  I will hold off from thinking to far ahead in what I want to do. Just get in and start my career.
Just let everything else fall into place on down the road...

This is why I turned to you guys. Cause alot of you are prior/active military. Just was seeking out some sort idea what am I to expect.
I thank you guys again for telling me all about Warrant Officers and such. Now I have a better understanding of things.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would just like to advance and make a career out of this. I now think I will just stick Navy and put off even switching branches down the road.

I just ask alot things cause I want to know alot of things. I just need to plan. So I like to know as much as I can about everything..... I do my research.

Since you like learning so much, I'll even give you another bit of knowledge.  The proper phrase is "a lot."  A is the article, lot is the noun.  You wouldn't say, "alittle" would you?  No, you'd say, "a little."  Also, watch out for autocorrect, because some programs will change it to "allot" when you misspell it, which isn't anything close at all.

This concludes your daily grammar Nazi PSA.  

We now return you to your regularly scheduled seaman thread.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At one time, when I followed such things, the then Mess Specialist (now Culinary Specialist) Sub rate had the fastest advancement to Chief of any Navy rate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you like learning so much, I'll even give you another bit of knowledge.  The proper phrase is "a lot."  A is the article, lot is the noun.  You wouldn't say, "alittle" would you?  No, you'd say, "a little."  Also, watch out for autocorrect, because some programs will change it to "allot" when you misspell it, which isn't anything close at all.

This concludes your daily grammar Nazi PSA.  

We now return you to your regularly scheduled seaman thread.

I love you grammar nazis.... remember I am a southern redneck. I have a problem with grammar.
Thanks again for all your help though grammar or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top