Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2011 9:13:59 PM EDT

IVI Today's 6 News

Book Creates Controversy at Statehouse

A book is creating quite a stir at the Statehouse.

It's called Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century, written by Thomas Woods.

The book contends that there's a place for
nullification, a Thomas Jefferson doctrine that says the states have the
option to oppose federal law if they find the law unconstitutional.

It has some legislators thinking about defying the federal government when it comes to the federal healthcare law.

"I read it and I ordered another copy," said
Sen. Monty Pearce, R-New Plymouth. "I came down for a meeting with the
governor and said ‘I'm going to bring you a copy of this book,
governor.' He smiled and said I've already read it."

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the Early Bird crew
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Nulification of federal laws was addressed during the Jackson Administration in 1828.

Could it be used again?

Not without some very serious consequences...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#3]
might have to add this to my book list.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nulification of federal laws was addressed during the Jackson Administration in 1828.

Could it be used again?

IMO the election of Jackson was one of the worst things to happen politically in the first half of the 19th century.  Its impact still affects us today and it is part of how America became truly democratic rather than largely non-democratic as it was before, among other things.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could it be used again?

IMO the election of Jackson was one of the worst things to happen politically in the first half of the 19th century.  Its impact still affects us today and it is part of how America became truly democratic rather than largely non-democratic as it was before, among other things.

Interesting stance. Could you explain why his election lead to a greater democraticisation of America? I am very interested in reading the opinion of someone who is not either an autobiographer or a professor. Another point of view is always refreshing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you think the author is sincere, or realized that such a book would have big sales?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
In before someone comes and hijacks the thread
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The shame is that these threads are always ruined by the boards predominant arrogant statist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top