Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 4:06:16 PM EDT
This guy is telling my son he can start selling legal services and make 1-3k a month

catch is the startup is $249, sounds like a bullshit scam, just wanted to get a second opinion here

FREE
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
pyramid scam
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
pyramid scam

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Pyramid.

Worth repeating.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

thanks

have a couple of guys around here that seem to fall in with everyone one of these pyramid MLMs  that come down the pike

they are regulars at the shop I work so they always come in trying to rope us in

prepaid legal was a couple years ago , then some sort of octane/MPG boost tablets , about 4 different varieties of vitamins,  diet supplements etc etc etc

they know better now as I just ask them the name of the company and google it while they're standing there

then just laugh and shake my head

I have had people try to cold sell me into MLMs just standing at barnes and noble looking through the magazines

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
MLM for lawyers.  

Run away.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
prepaid just got bought out this month, making the originators beaucoup dinero.scumbag lawyers are scumbag.no offense
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#9]
ETA: dupe reply is dupe
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Pyramid.

Worth repeating.

This.

They target service members too.  When I was a young LCpl I almost got caught up in it.  A Sgt in our unit did it for several years, never made a penny.  It was so bad, our Btn CO put out an order that anyone in the Btn attempting to sell Pre-paid legal, to anyone, would be brought up on charges.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This guy is telling my son he can start selling legal services and make 1-3k a month

catch is the startup is $249, sounds like a bullshit scam, just wanted to get a second opinion here

FREE

What does he get for his $249.00?

Unless is for training/education to get some kind of license, he's the mark.

Have him call some local insurance agents and ask how much he has to pay them to get started.

There is such a thing as prepaid legal.  But that doesn't mean this one is legit.

Edited to add that the local GM workers used to have prepaid legal as a benefits option, IIRC.  It operated like health insurance.  If you had a legal need, they had a list of service providers where the worker could go get assistance for no or reduced out-of-pocket costs.  Not sure how it worked from the attorney's end though.  May have just been a referral generator where volume would pay for the discount in services.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FREE

Have him call some local insurance agents and ask how much he has to pay them to get started.

There is such a thing as prepaid legal.  But that doesn't mean this one is legit.

Yeah, its called a retainer.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have had people try to cold sell me into MLMs just standing at barnes and noble looking through the magazines

One of my worst (recently) was an old friend from HS.

I appreciated the phone call. I am old now and remember our good times with fondness, so I thought it was a cool call.

Then he gets soapy... And tells me how much he admired me back then. Well, I was an idiot back then, but, hey, I can take a compliment...

Then he tells me that he appreciated my work ethic back then. Yeah, I always worked and saved... But that is when a little bell started ringing in the back of my head...

I said, "Hey, I appreciate all the compliments, but are you trying to sell me something..."

Hoping that we could get back on track of talking about sports, and stupid stuff we did, and how all the  real dicks turned out to be grown-up douchebags...

Well, he says... The reason he called was that he has a job "opportunity" for me...

Well... Having grown up in Utah, I know the code-word difference between "offer" and "opportunity"

Sadly, I have many, many more stories just like that one...

Stay away. Stay far away. If you need vitamins... Go get good ones from the vitamin store, or the exact same thing for cheaper from Wal-Mart. If you need legal advice make buddies with a lawyer. If you need a "super food" (that was a line from someone trying to sell me a snakeoil drink) plant a garden. I said to the bum that any tomato or raspberry fresh from my garden could kick his gay imported berries ass.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure they are traded on the stock exchange and are actually legit......seriously
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#15]
If he's not a lawyer, how does he expect to sell "legal services?"

Sort of a first principles / common sense thing.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

FREE

Yeah, its called a retainer.  

No, a retainer is called a retainer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I know some people that signed up for it, just in case. I don't know that they ever did. I remember the guy telling me I should sign up, wanted to give me the whole BS line. He was none too happy I told him it was a scam, and to leave me alone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Pyramid scheme

Aimless,

was it you that said they cold called you out of the blue wanting you to take a client  that  was completely outside of your normal scope of practice for a insultingly paltry fee

or was that someone else on here ?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top