Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2011 8:40:06 AM EDT
Current, former citizens of Illinois, are there ANY class 3 items allowed in Illinois?  Its my understanding you cannot get a suppressor, short-barrelled rifle, any "destructive device" period.  Is anything allowed?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2008/04/ilinois-il-what-nfa-firearms-c.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Current, former citizens of Illinois, are there ANY class 3 items allowed in Illinois?  Its my understanding you cannot get a suppressor, short-barrelled rifle, any "destructive device" period.  Is anything allowed?

No suppressors, period, by anyone (I assume Federal LE can do what they want since they generally don't come under state law)

Class 3 only by Government/Law Enforcement agencies on the exemptions list in the Illinois statute.  As of this time, no legal possession of Class 3 in Illinois by private citizens, except as part of their employment in the exempted classes.

SBR the same as above.  Don't know too much about DD but assume the same as Class 3.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
When I lived there I had to keep all my toys in a storage unit in Wisconsin.

F*ck Illinois.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.

Can a person say in Missouri with a SBR or suppressor bring one to a range in Illinois?

What about just passing state lines with such items?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck Illinois.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Interesting.

Can a person say in Missouri with a SBR or suppressor bring one to a range in Illinois?

To your first question: no.  Most NFA items require a form to transport across state lines.  This is a 5320.20.  If you attempt to fill one out for a state that doesn't allow NFA items, it will be rejected.  Same thing for attempting to fill one out for state's that have extraneous requirements (such as MO requiring an FFL to have NFA items) and not meeting those requirements.  You'll be denied.

While you don't need a 5320.20 for suppressors, you don't want to take them into a state where they're verboten.  That wouldn't go so well for you.

As for crossing state lines, again, you'll need a 5320.20 for your final destination.  I'm not sure if FOPA extends coverage to NFA items, so I can't comment for certain on that.

Now, if you have an SBR lower and toss a >16" upper on there, you're set.  You've taken it out of SBR configuration and can take it places without a 5320.20 per my understanding.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting.

Someone will squash me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it works like this:  If you're passing through a state en route to a location that allows class 3, then the FOPA of '86 covers you, even in a shithole like Illinois.  However you cannot stop and play with your sbr/suppressor/machinegun - because you'd no longer be traveling and would be subject to the laws of the state you were in.

Edited to add - with the form 5320.20 filled out and approved, as andrasik said above.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Now, if you have an SBR lower and toss a >16" upper on there, you're set.  You've taken it out of SBR configuration and can take it places without a 5320.20 per my understanding.

i would check that
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#10]
AOW's are not prohibited.

Thats all you can have.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Fuck Illinois.
I feel for you guys that live there...

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i would check that

It's fairly well documented.  I'm like 99.9999% sure on that.

Been quite a few threads with that answer in the Class 3 forum.  I'm looking up specifics now.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

i would check that

Been quite a few threads with that answer in the Class 3 forum.  I'm looking up specifics now.

I remember reading that too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i would check that

I remember reading that too.

I'm not having much luck (googling between tests here at work), but I know this to be the case.

Same thing with selling a registered SBR.  Put a >16" upper on it and you can sell it as a Title I weapon.  The ATF requests that you send them a letter stating that it's no longer in Title II configuration and they deactivate it from the NFRTR.  They don't take it off, but they add a note that it's no longer in Title II configuration IIRC.

Tony_K or prebans would know for sure.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#15]
There are ways to own NFA in Il. AOW's and DD's are legal to own as an individual. A member of another board was trying to get an approval for a SBS that would only be put in that configuration when outside of Il. I do not know the outcome of that. A FFL/SOT such as myself can own MG's SBS, and SBR without issue. Ammunition manufacturers and regular manufacturers can now (thanks to Olin) have suppressors. Going the way I did was not hard once you get your FFL, then it's just a $500 license fee per year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top