Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2011 7:37:20 PM EDT
Not bragging about a lack of care, I wipe it daily, just thought I would share. The factory slide started rusting about 6 years ago and turned into a daily battle trying to keep the rust at bay, finally resorted to thin films of Vaseline in the problem spots. I got sick of this not to mention the possibility of getting slippery stuff on parts that I don't want to be slippery, when the mag catch spring rusted in two when I ordered a new one I also bought a stainless slide and barrel hoping to end the problem.
Well after one day I noticed rust around the rear(plastic) sight, I thought maybe the steel insert of the sight rusted and the rust was kind of running out. I clean it off and the next day it was back and noticed the paint on the Ameriglo front sight was bubbling. After about 6 months I decided to coat it, I have some MolyResin from my AR pistol build so I decided to try it. I sand blasted the slide and sight, the sight is very rough and the slide has quit a bit of pitting where the rust kept forming.

I carry daily IWB in a CTAC at 12:00 with no undergarments so there is a lot of moisture passing through in a 12+ hour day of Gulf Coast South Texas Heat and humidity.

Apparently the acid on my skin which protects me from bacteria will destroy my Glock, I guess that is why in spite of constantly getting cut at work etc. I never get an infection.

The gun only rusts on the side toward my skin, I am left handed.
rust pictures:

Detailed pics of stock slide from another thread in which I was berated for poor care.

barrel

slide pitting (not punch marks)

After coating flat grey with some black to darken it a bit, you can still see some pitting in front of the ejection port and on the sight.
FYI: an Ameriglo night sight sight can withstand 1 hour in an oven at 300°F.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked in a machine shop.  It's wierd, but some people's skin just seems to corrode metal like crazy.  Every once in a while, someone will run a lathe for an hour, and you come by later and see rust fingerprints on the metal.  The old timey shop supervisor called them "acid hands."  I never had that problem, but maybe you are one of the dreaded "acid hands" people!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit bro...Never seen sweat do that to glock tennifer to be honest!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people just have acidic sweat.  I have a couple stainless knives that I managed to get a bit of rust on.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Texas Gulf Coast has crazy humidity year round.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be..I've carried my Glocks during the summer months and not cleaned them for a couple weeks and have never seen any rust whatsoever!

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow..I am speechless...and you say you at least wipe it down frequently...yikes.

I would imagine that if you didnt then the gun would turn to dust!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Dude...that sucks. Good job on recoating though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
no undergarments
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll give you 2 fiddy for it.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be..I've carried my Glocks during the summer months and not cleaned them for a couple weeks and have never seen any rust whatsoever!

The manner in which I carry is probably much wetter than anywhere else on the hip and I do not work in climate control or commute in a car/truck, so 12 solid hours bathed in body juices.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing is for sure, you really do carry everyday. Most people are lying when they say that, you have proof. Hah
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got some of the most corrosive sweat of anyone I know.  I'll make a T shirt look like swiss cheese after 4 or 5 wearings in the summertime.  I've rusted the slides on stainless steel guns carrying them IWB against my skin after only a few days of carry.  But I've never seen a speck of rust on either of my IWB carry Glocks, and I've carried the 26 full time through multiple summers and never did a thing to it other than the normal cleaning after the range and wiping it off at the end of the day, and a lot of days it didn't even get wiped down.  I've carried my 29 less, but it's still gotten soaked in my acid sweat multiple times and never gotten wiped off.

Not saying you didn't rust yours, I take your word for it, just that it seems to me like if anyone's sweat could rust a gun it's mine.  I'm wondering if something didn't happen that penetrated the nitriding and let sweat under it.  Or maybe the nitriding on the slide had imperfections.  I would have sent it back to Glock, they've taken very good care of me every time I've dealt with them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Was your dad a face hugger?

If you can light your farts I would say you have a future as a super villain.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
no undergarments

Referring to the fact that some people tuck a t-shirt under their carry carry holster which would help keep the moisture away from the gun.
No reference to whether or not I am sporting underoos.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
The only rust on my 23 is on the sights. When I was tapping them in place, the punch ripped thru the protective tape and took a tiny bit of finish of the sight. Now I constantly have to place a drop of oil in that location due to the rust.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#19]
is that a Lone Wolf slide?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Im a machinist and sometimes I will rust stuff for a few days then all of a sudden Im back to normal.  Im certain that it has to do with what Ive eaten previously.  Do you have a high sodium diet or anything out of the ordinary.

ETA, How the hell does one carry at 12 o clock.  That would be really uncomfortable for me..
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I have also rusted out the hardware on my CTAC, I now use stainless and plated where I can plus cover it with silicone.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Dude!  You need to go buy different sweat glands!  
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

so is it your Glock slide, or Lone Wolf slide that is rusted?  or both?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Pic of OP?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Stainless steel is STAINless, not rustless.

Most high grade (strong) stainless steels are not rust proof, just mildly rust resistant. As other posters have stated, sometimes your sweat can be quite acidic, and be damaging to metals....

Factory glocks have one of the best "rust prevention" methods with the cyanide treatment of the steel. Painting it is probably the best option, but if your sweat is so acidic, maybe you should consider some sort of holster that has a guard to prevent the gun from touching your skin, or an undershirt.

Otherwise, clean it and oil it up after every day you carry it. You can try getting it Dura-coated, cera-coating or something a little more durable to block the sweat from killing your handgun!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#27]

The easier solution would be to start eating baking soda.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you (or in this era of cell phones do you) wear a watch?  I have heard that people like you will ruin even the best watches.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Blast it, park it then bake on a polymer finish, GunKote, etc.

Lone Wolf doesn't have Tennifer finish.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh yeah... I remember your thread from a year or two back.

The corroded hardware on the holster is what reminded me: it spurred me to look at mine.
Sure enough, one of the screws/nuts was completely rusted. Not nearly as bad as yours, though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Good lord, man.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Do you live in a pineapple beneath the sea?

For furture reference, Duracoat Durafil will do a good job at filing in deep pits in a slide - kinda like bondo for firearms

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

First the Glock slide then I got the Lone Wolf slide in hopes of avoiding the rust problem. The top pic is the Lone Wolf slide.

416 stainless isn't the best for corrosion resistance but I though it would be much better than 4140 or whatever Glock uses.
I hope this coating does some good; it is suppose to good for 1000's of hours in a salt bath(IIRC), we shall see how it handles an acid mantle bath.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll give you 2 fiddy for it.

Danny

You should pay up more considering it touched the junk everyday..
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#36]
you tossed that Glock down the driveway a few times didn't ya?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

First the Glock slide then I got the Lone Wolf slide in hopes of avoiding the rust problem. The top pic is the Lone Wolf slide.

416 stainless isn't the best for corrosion resistance but I though it would be much better than 4140 or whatever Glock uses.
I hope this coating does some good; it is suppose to good for 1000's of hours in a salt bath(IIRC), we shall see how it handles an acid mantle bath.

10-4.  i guess i should read the whole post, before posting.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Good Lord!  You must have cat pee for sweat!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Did you ever shoot corrosive ammo through it?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#42]
OP, I've never done that to a gun because I do not carry all that frequently, but I have destroyed the padding in helmets, leather belts, t-shirts (regular occurrence), rusted cheap tools after a day or two of handling them in the heat, eliminated socks (alarming frequency) and...  if I don't keep the sweat out of my eyes, the burning sensation can almost blind me.  It actually causes the skin on my head to itch when the sweat first starts rolling down.  My fingerprints are represented in rust on a few pieces of mild steel out there after only a few touches.  

Maybe you need to drop your carry piece in a bucket of baking power at the end of every day to neutralize everything before you clean it/wipe it down.  Never tried it myself, but maybe it would help (or maybe it will just make cleaning your gun into a PITA)
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can you (or in this era of cell phones do you) wear a watch?  I have heard that people like you will ruin even the best watches.

I am a machinist for almost 20 years so no jewelry of any kind most of my adult life. As other machinist have stated problems with rusting tools etc. I have not noticed this but have a habit of always wiping down measuring tools constantly, I have noticed rust on tool holders that have not been used for a week or two but with no climate control the humidity may be a factor.

I rot the rubbery type nose pads on safety glasses, the solid plastic ones get signs of crazing around the nose rest area. I have a Logitech trackball mouse from '04 that has the paint bubbled and peeling where my palm rests. I have not really noticed  I corroded things until the Glock slide then I started to look around. The 304 stainless press handle I made for reloading press doesn't rust, the 304 stainless shift handle I made 10 years ago for my truck isn't rusted. I guess I need to find a 304SS slide.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Start using  Eezox synthetic gun oil to protect your pistols...

Thank me later...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#46]
That's fucking disgusting.

I've lightly rusted SS guns before, but a Glock? Have you considered going to a doctor?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Start using  Eezox synthetic gun oil to protect your pistols...

Thank me later...

The Glock is 99.9% saltwater corrosion resistant without the black finish. I don't think any special oil is going to help.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I worked in a machine shop.  It's wierd, but some people's skin just seems to corrode metal like crazy.  Every once in a while, someone will run a lathe for an hour, and you come by later and see rust fingerprints on the metal.  The old timey shop supervisor called them "acid hands."  I never had that problem, but maybe you are one of the dreaded "acid hands" people!

This is the truth.  I had a customer at the bike shop I use to work at, rode a Cannondale road bike.  All aluminum parts were corroded on the front end / seat stem was corroded in place, bike frame was corroded through the paint.  He had to get it stripped and repainted at a body shop, main parts replaced and re-assembled by myself.  Only person like that I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

"Acidic" is usually a term reserved for describing someone's sense of humor.

I thought that was a jewish thing too??!!

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Stop eating all that Texas no bean chili and your guns might stop looking like that!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top