Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 11:59:45 AM EDT
I guess if we have St. Pats Day why not Cinco de Mayo? But where will it end? Will every culture in America need to represent itself with celibrations or special days? This has been going on for a long time now. I see Columbus Day disappearing and new days pop up. Days that I can't relate to. Am I a dinosaur?Too bad there isn't some kind of "aids" for liberals. I'm so confused.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I just find it a good reason to drink some homemand ritas, a few tecates, and eat some fajitas!  [):)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah!

What I need is a national holiday for Scottish heritage males in their mid-40s, who are at least 6' 8" tall, are married with two or more children, and like to shoot Black Rifles.

June 30th would be a real good date in my book.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Wishing for AIDS to strike liberals will get you in hot water.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If people are so God Damn proud of their heritage then why the fuck are they here????

Sgtar15

PS  Yes, it is one of those days [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah!

What I need is a national holiday for Scottish heritage males in their mid-40s, who are at least 6' 8"....
View Quote

6'8"? You should get that petuitary gland looked at.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite part about Cinco De Mayo is that is was a victory over "French" forces in the 1860's. Everyone beats the French!. To make it worse, the same Mexican soldiers were beaten by the French the next day. France didn't leave Mexico until the United States threatened them in 1866.

It is like Texans celebrating the Alamo, they lost.

However Cinco De Mayo as an excuse to eat chile rellenos and drink Pacifico, it is one of my top five holidays.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Im hanging out at a party the other day and everyones hyped about the 5th of May.  I get everybody quiet and ask them if they know what's significant about the 5th of May to Mexico.  

All I get are blank stares of "I know, but dont need to tell you", "Who cares, I can drink", etc, etc.  

Most Mexicans (we do have a few in AZ doncha know) cant even tell you waht the hell it is.  Theyll tell its Mexican Independance.  i just wanna punch these people in teh face.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
See above, I'm so angry I can't even type!!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Cinco de Mayo is a great excuse to make fun of French people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Am I a dinosaur?Too bad there isn't some kind of "aids" for liberals.....
View Quote

You be careful for wishing such a thing, this might be construed by some others as a terrorist threat.

For me, I'm going to pop on over to my local Taco Bell for a quick celebration.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

6'8"? You should get that petuitary gland looked at.
View Quote

Naah, it's fine.  A Scotsman's just a wee bit on the taller side.  That's why we wear kilts and nothing more; because they don't make knickers our size!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Today I celebrated Cinco de Mayo as an expression of my cultural diversity. We need to welcome these poor masses to our country so they can improve their quality life while the same time decreasing ours. We need to offer them free health care, welfare assistance, food stamps, the freedom to drive shitbox cars with gold pin-striping and little wheels that stick way out, we need to let them breed like rats and overwhelm our schools, they should have the freedom to join gangs like the Latin Kings so they can prey on the innocent members of our society, finally we need to adopt Spanish as our national language, so they really feel right at home. We need to form a Hispanic Olympic team for swimming, track, high jumping, I think the Gold would be in their grasp. And finally, we need to allow illegal aliens the right to vote, that way the Democrats will always have control of the White House, Senate, and Congress. Next time I will say what I really feel!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh hell I can live with Cinco de Mayo.  Drank some beer, watched some basketball, drank some margaritas, ate some ribs, drank a shot . . .

Of course I might do that no matter what the date, but hey, it's a convenient excuse.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
NHRAMark, what you said!!!! You should live down in the south where you can really appreciate what our cultural diversity has done for us.

I've got a rental right next door to my house. It is rented out by the beaner rather than the month. A two bedroom house that never has less than five guys living in it. I call code enforcement every other month to have them force the illegals to clean up the place. I need a good contact in the INS.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Cinco de Mayo [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe we should have a holiday called
 " Remember the Alamo Day "  
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#17]
... In Arizona it's largely viewed as merely a reason to mix margaritas, party, drink Coronas and limes and eat great Mexican food. Once a year when mariachis are acceptable at the dinner table. Lots of colors, etc.
I don't think there are ANY political overtones to the celebrations I've attended around here.

Seems to be an overtone of bigotry on this thread by some however.

YES! Happy Cinco de Mayo
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#18]
It's great to celebrate the diversity of our culture, but I don't like those who, instead of bring their culture to the US and becoming a part of our country, just come here and pretend that they at "home", but enjoy our freedoms.

Wanna know something that really FUCKING PISSES ME OFF... is that when the 4th of July comes around, many of our sweet, lovable immigrant country men/women DON'T EVEN CELEBRATE!!!

Don't even bring up how many folks treat Veterans Day like just another Sunday, and don't stop to consider what so many have given their lives for. [pissed]

Tyler
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#19]
maybe they should just give us say 3 days of flex holiday a year. Because it's impossible to satisfy everyone with a national holiday. My family takes a day off for Chinese New Year, a lot of Chinese people I know does that. If you think about it, families like mine don't really celebrate christmas or easter, and Chinese New Year is the only holiday we celebrate all year.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]
"We need to welcome these poor masses to our country so they can improve their quality life while the same time decreasing ours. We need to offer them free health care, welfare assistance, food stamps, the freedom to drive shitbox cars with gold pin-striping and little wheels that stick way out, we need to let them breed like rats and overwhelm our schools, they should have the freedom to join gangs like the Latin Kings so they can prey on the innocent members of our society..."  (NHRAMark)

NHRAMark---

I'm deeply saddened by they way you have basically discounted a whole group of people.  If the above were true then I sure am an oddity:  Instead of breeding like a rat, I went to college and graduated with a degree in Criminology; Instead of being on welfare, I work for the Probation Department; Instead of decreasing the quality of life, I help to increase it by being active in the community; Instead of...well, the list endless.

Mark, you see, this country is a diverse mixture of MANY different cultures and races. And there's no denying the fact that this country was built on those same backs of those many different races and cultures.  So why is it so difficult for you to let different cultures have a day of recognition?  You can be patriotic and be proud of your heritage, can't you, Mark?  

You've said a lot of things that are stereotypical comments meant to "put down" Hispanics.  What you failed to mention was that whites are the number customers when it comes to our great welfare system, and some people, believe or not, do need this much needed assistance.   Oh yeah, what about the gangsters?  I guess Hispanics are the criminals out there?  Hmm, I see a lot of white people who come through the Probation that aren't exactly upstanding citizens either, Mark. And who also "prey on the innocent members of our society."  The things you have mentioned in you senseless tirade is that it's not unique to any one population or group of people.  Every race or culture has good and bad people.  

Geez, it's hard to write exactly what I want to tell you, Mark, because I'm kinda agitated by what I read.   I guess I'll leave it at that, Mark.  Oh, and by the way, Feliz Cinco de Mayo, Mark.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Little bit of sterotyping here, eh?
My wife moved here from Culacan when she was four. She became a US citizen as did all her family. Her mom and dad worked long hours at crap jobs to pay for their kids to go to decent schools.  She received her B.S. in nursing and had two brothers who went to Stanford and Yale on academic scholarships. I think some of you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually, [red]FMJ223[/red], the "whites are the largest customers" is a bunch of crap.

If you DON'T compare the numbers as a percentage of total population, sure, the honkie mofos are the SECOND-largest group of welfare recipients (blacks are now #1 in absolute numbers, woohoo! despite being 18% of the population as a whole).  If you actually bother to take into account the percentage of total population, whites aren't anywhere near the top.

As far as some people "really needing the money", so do I -- and I actually worked to earn it. . . .
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Just for yet another piece of useless information---the 5th of May is also celebrated in the French Foreign Legion,  not because they won the battle, but because the Legion unit involved held out for as long as it did against overwhelming odds. Count on the French to celebrate a military loss simply because their soldiers didn't cut and run.

Oh yeah,  my dad was born in Paris and it always pissed him off that, even though he was a naturalized American citizen, the French still considered him to be a French citizen too. He always said that being an American was quite good enough for him, and he didn't need being stuck w/any other identity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top