Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2011 3:40:26 PM EDT
in those remote Alaskan villages?The ones where it's more than -50 and colder all the time.There's nothing around them,how the hell do they do it?Like the one in the pic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Blubber.  Ever seen an anorexic Inuit?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Body heat
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
what are they burning?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Find hottest Inuit in town
2. Jump in freezing water and need skin to skin contact to survive
3. Let nature take its course
4. Profit
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Snow is a good insulator
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]

under armour?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Today?  Warm clothes and a lot of electricity, fuel oil and sex.

Before electricity & petroleum?  Warm clothes, whale oil and lots of sex.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Diesel/kerosene fuel.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]

When the oil pipelines are dormant, they reverse the flow and ship them hot air from Washington.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever heard of a three dog night?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I was told they use a fire on one side, and a fat chick on the other but that my not be true.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Fat women
ETA: I see that colklink and I are on the same page again
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Hate
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]
If it is an Alaskan native village they use heating oil and most of it is paid for by tax payers.  The other races of people who live in the bush, where there's timber, use firewood.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't been to a remote Village in over 20 years, but I can tell you how it was back then.

Houses were small and were heated by stove oil (diesel). Everyone had a drip feed diesel cook stove that stayed running 24/7. If the house was large enough (and the family wealthy enough) there would also be a separate drip feed heater.

As you can see from the picture there isn't a tree in sight, so wood heat is out of the question for that particular village.  That is true for a large number of villages, although there are some located in wooded areas where wood heat becomes an option.

From what I read and hear villagers are still heating with diesel. Houses have gotten larger and electricity is now available to fire a boiler, but the fuel is still diesel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
govt subsidies, flown/boat/trucked in supplies, booze, probably a lot of fuckin, and some drugs

Those places are shitholes, very isolated and rely on outside support, unlike the past. Dirty as all get out.

The supply train dries up, they are fucked.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Easy, burn whale blubber.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#21]
OK I've got the heat part, what about water and sewer?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
my wife loves my heating rod
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Caribou parkas.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Body heat

this
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I was born 9 months after the Blizzard of '78.  Just sayin'

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ever heard of a three dog night?

Beat me to it, I was just coming to post that.

In addition to being a 1970s band, the expression actually derives from the Alaskan native expression for keeping a dog on top of you when you sleep to share body heat.

Excessively cold nights as described in the OP were called "three dog nights."

Seriously though, I have often wondered myself how the hell early white settlers ever managed to deal with this cold in the days before indoor plumbing, central heating, electricty, etc.

I imagine it took a strong constitution, and the weak simply died.

ETA: Having to go out to use an outhouse to take a shit when it was zero degrees outside was probably a whole bunch of no fun.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK I've got the heat part, what about water and sewer?

Honey bucket.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#29]
lots of humping.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fat women
ETA: I see that colklink and I are on the same page again

Its time we pick out a china pattern I suppose

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#31]
One dog cold night.
Two dog colder night,

Three dog, really cold night.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

govt subsidies, flown/boat/trucked in supplies, booze, probably a lot of fuckin, and some drugs

Those places are shitholes, very isolated and rely on outside support, unlike the past. Dirty as all get out.

The supply train dries up, they are fucked.

Actually alcohol is outlawed in a bunch of them. Constant cold and darkness in a small village with booze leads to big problems of violence and abuse.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#33]
So,the govt. gives them free oil.I was wondering how people so poor could stay alive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#34]
The real question is how they did it over 100 years ago and back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So,the govt. gives them free oil.I was wondering how people so poor could stay alive.

I've never heard of the .gov (state or Fed) giving away free oil. Sounds like a myth. If you find a source for that info please post it.

Perhaps you are thinking about the time Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez offered vouchers to villagers as a political stunt? Some villages actually rejected the offer because of the politics.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I doubt they stay "warm" by my standards.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

1. Find hottest Inuit in town

2. Jump in freezing water and need skin to skin contact to survive

3. Let nature take its course

4. Profit

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Pull up a dog........
<–––––– or three.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#39]
The human body can adapt something amazing...

Just like how someone from Colorado can go to California in December and walk around with t-shirts on at night while the locals are wearing heavy jackets...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Just like how someone from Colorado can go to California in December and walk around with t-shirts on at night while the locals are wearing heavy jackets...

Brown fat.

Johnson explained that when the body is cold, it produces a
tissue known as brown fat. When the body is cold, brown fat burns energy
to create heat,  The Telegraph  reported. As your body is burning energy it is burning calories

http://www.myfoxchattanooga.com/dpps/health/turning-down-the-thermostat-could-help-you-lose-weight-dpgoh-20110129-fc_11644076

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Beer
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

When the oil pipelines are dormant, they reverse the flow and ship them hot air from Washington.

What else could it BE !!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#43]
TWo of the NCOs in my shop are natives.  One Inupiat, the other Yupik.

They wear more snivel gear than anybody.  Both have nearly frozen to death a couple of times.

They don't go outside when its really fucking cold.  Honey buckets for sewage (you can imagine the smell in the spring)

I have been to several vils.  You haven't seen poverty till you have been out there.  I would rather live in an AFghan village than a Yupik village.

People are very nice and seem happy.  But wicked bouts of depression can kick in.  As with most asiatics, alchohol plays havoc with their system.

Fuel oil is around $8 a gallon.  And the barge comes once a year.  

Plan ahead.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

TWo of the NCOs in my shop are natives.  One Inupiat, the other Yupik.

They wear more snivel gear than anybody.  Both have nearly frozen to death a couple of times.

They don't go outside when its really fucking cold.  Honey buckets for sewage (you can imagine the smell in the spring)

I have been to several vils.  You haven't seen poverty till you have been out there.  I would rather live in an AFghan village than a Yupik village.

People are very nice and seem happy.  But wicked bouts of depression can kick in.  As with most asiatics, alchohol plays havoc with their system.

Fuel oil is around $8 a gallon.  And the barge comes once a year.  

Plan ahead.

In James Michener's "Alaska" he had a chapter on a modern-day school teacher going to live in one of those villages and being the only teacher for all the kids.  The village chief gave her an orientation that included the process of ordering every single thing she would need for the next year because the supply barge only came there once a year.  All her food, household supplies, personal needs, everything, had to be ordered in advance.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]
critters make warm clothes...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wood, gas, other things that you can burn.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brown fat.

Johnson explained that when the body is cold, it produces a tissue known as brown fat. When the body is cold, brown fat burns energy to create heat,  The Telegraph  reported. As your body is burning energy it is burning calories

http://www.myfoxchattanooga.com/dpps/health/turning-down-the-thermostat-could-help-you-lose-weight-dpgoh-20110129-fc_11644076

Don't mean to bust your chops but the human body produces a LOT of heat energy as a by-product of metabolization.  The food calories listed on packages and counted by dieters is a unit of energy which is potential heat.  A food calorie is actually 1000 calories, a disused unit of energy equivalent to heating 1 gram of water 1 degree C.  

The human body is about 25% efficient at converting food calories over to actual work.  The rest is heat  When a human is resting, they are producing about 100 watts of heat energy, the colder it is, the more energy is consumed.

Brown fat is not required.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Beer

No.
BEER does not function in cold climates.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brown fat.

Johnson explained that when the body is cold, it produces a tissue known as brown fat. When the body is cold, brown fat burns energy to create heat,  The Telegraph  reported. As your body is burning energy it is burning calories

Don't mean to bust your chops but the human body produces a LOT of heat energy as a by-product of metabolization.  The food calories listed on packages and counted by dieters is a unit of energy which is potential heat.  A food calorie is actually 1000 calories, a disused unit of energy equivalent to heating 1 gram of water 1 degree C.  

The human body is about 25% efficient at converting food calories over to actual work.  The rest is heat  When a human is resting, they are producing about 100 watts of heat energy, the colder it is, the more energy is consumed.

Foreign food packaging still lists kcals

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brown fat.

My understanding is cold weather conditioning is mainly the body learning to change its bloodflow to conserve thermal energy, and a change its resting metabolic rate so more heat is produced.

If you aren't conditioned, and its freaking cold, you need something covering your skin, and constant movement to generate heat. Curling up in a ball and staying still is the worst way for an unconditioned person to stay warm, your body doesn't produce enough heat resting (although the sheltering effect and reduced surface area might help, if you aren't making heat to start with, you'll freeze).

Very few Americans are conditioned to cold... We're spoiled.

TR85.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top