Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 8:06:05 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting one of those CMMG drop-in .22 conversion kits for my AR.

My barrel is a 1:7 twist. Will typically light .22 bullets be adequately stabilized by this twist (which is meant to stabilize heavier bullets?)

What type of .22 ammo would work best with it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
For stability in flight, the heavier the better with your twist. Don't expect much.

That said, Fed bulk pack kicks ass and take names.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For stability in flight, the heavier the better with your twist. Don't expect much.

Awesome. That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have yet to buy one, but the guys on this board that I shot with this summer all said whatever you do, get a stainless bolt. That piece of advice thus far has been unanimous from anyone I've discussed this with. Anyone have an opinion on that?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have yet to buy one, but the guys on this board that I shot with this summer all said whatever you do, get a stainless bolt. That piece of advice thus far has been unanimous from anyone I've discussed this with. Anyone have an opinion on that?

So they don't come with a bolt? Or someone sells stainless replacement bolts?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The Tac Sol upper is insanely accurate - I do not own a drop in kit but I have shot with one and was not pleased with it's accuracy

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I never had any problems with the CMMG drop-in kit other than the welds on the back of the CMMG bolt will put a bit of wear your buffer. It was dead nuts reliable with Fed bulk pack though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a CMMG kit and it rocks, I also shoot it out of a 1/7 with no issues. Looks like ill have to run some test on next week when I take my new AR out
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they don't come with a bolt? Or someone sells stainless replacement bolts?

The conversion kit replaces your rifle's bolt and carrier.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I never had any problems with the CMMG drop-in kit other than the welds on the back of the CMMG bolt will put a bit of wear your buffer. It was dead nuts reliable with Fed bulk pack though.

How accurate is it? What kind of range can I expect?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
At 50 yds I could knock around a coke can with my CMMG kit in a Bushmaster M4. Never tried it much past that as I just used the 22 kit for plinking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At 50 yds I could knock around a coke can with my CMMG kit in a Bushmaster M4. Never tried it much past that as I just used the 22 kit for plinking.

Cool, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

I just want a way to shoot my AR more cheaply. The way I see it, the more trigger time I can get, the better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#12]
CMMG makes a parkerized one AND a stainless one Get the stainless one. The stainless one just works. The parkerized one has to normally wear in. A lot. CDNN has them on sale much of the time. They also have ten round mags, handy if you're going to shoot off a bench. Fun as hell blaster, so-so accuracy. Three or four inches at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How accurate is it? What kind of range can I expect?

I have a ceiner kit, all my carbines have a 1/9 twist and using federal bulk packs from walmart all mine will do about 2" or slightly less at 25 yards. Not a tack driver by any means but it allows me to get practice for cheap.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a few of the M261 conversions from someone here 5 or 6 years ago for about $80 a pop- shipped.
Cheap fun, and the kids LOVE them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Have there been any problems or reports of lead shaving off and building up in the gas-port?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have there been any problems or reports of lead shaving off and building up in the gas-port?

normally after you're done using the adapter, run a mag of .223's thru the rifle & it will clean the gas tube out
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the parked one its run 100% since new. I've put around 500rnd thru it maybe more and it works great with descent accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll get one now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I also recommend a dedicated upper.

CMMG Evolution comes highly recommended.

Some good info here: www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=15

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Better to have a dedicated upper.  You're going to get a lot of leading with a 5.56 mm barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#21]
i have a parked conversion. makes range time last a lot longer shooting .22 instead of .223/556 plus it's alot of fun.

I'll occasionally have a case jam the charging handle but it's few and far between. the Remington bullets are garbage. stay away from them, jam city.

I've had good luck with the Fed auto match, Fed bulk packs and the Winchester 333's are g2g. very few failures with those 3 different brands. probably out of a couple thousand total I've maybe had 20.

Aguila makes a 60gr. subsonic that shoots great. I've never had a failure of any kind when shooting those and they have pretty good accuracy. never shot mine past 50 yards though.

i've shot the kit in guns with a 1:7" 7.5"bbl, 1:8" 20"SS, and 3 different 16's. 2 being 1:9" and 1 a 1:8"
all had acceptable accuracy at 50 yards.

the only downside is i that i only have two 26 round mags. loading them is slow but not bad. so i would get quite a few mags to go with the kit. spend more time shooting and not reloading
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#22]
i just got a CMMG kit and when i pull the changing handle back and release the bolt wouldnt close all the way, there is prob 3/8" gap. so when you try to chamber a round, the round will not fully get chambered, gets all cockeyed. so i dropped mag and slowly pulled the charging handle back and you can feel it catch on something, i had a hunch it was a the bolt catch release. so when i got home i took the bolt catch release off. when you pull the charging handle no grab or anything also the bolt will seat properlly and will chamber a round. i couldnt fire a round since i was in town so i still dont know if that will fire.

has this happened to anyone else so i have a bad CMMG KIT or is it a bad bolt catch release lever? im pretty pissed about it.

any insight would be great!

thank you

DME
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#23]
The correct rifling for a .22LR is 1:16...

Just FYI
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting one of those CMMG drop-in .22 conversion kits for my AR.

My barrel is a 1:7 twist. Will typically light .22 bullets be adequately stabilized by this twist (which is meant to stabilize heavier bullets?)

What type of .22 ammo would work best with it?

Won't be accurate.  The conversion kits are for speed drills –– acquiring sight picture as fast as you can at short distance.  They are not designed for accuracy.  You do not use them for hunting squirrels.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

First post as usual. The fast twist of an AR (1:7, 1:9, etc.) are actually too fast and tend to over-stabilize the slower .22LR rounds, so heavier is indeed better. Accuracy will still not approach what a dedicated 22LR upper will provide, but is sufficient for practice drills and even small game hunting if the ranges are kept short. I love my CMMG unit though and the Federal bulk pack ammo has been pretty much a 100% performer. CCI is also great stuff in my experience. But by all means stay far, far away from Remington "Golden Bullet" bulk packs! I've had more misfires and squibs with that ammo than anything you'd believe short of wasting the money and seeing for yourself. It's not just confined to the CMMG unit either. That junk doesn't work in my 10/22 either.

ETA- FWIW, my conversion is parkerized, not stainless, and has not given me any issues. When I first got it, it was a really tight fit into the chamber but it wore-in very quickly.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top