Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 9:17:43 AM EDT
Rarely do I do this, but I have a problem.

As many of you all know I had major back surgery last year. It is now time for me to return to work since there is nothing else the doctors can do for me. I have finished school and workers comp will no longer be supporting my ass.

The problem I have is two fold. 1) I am entering a new field (computing) that I have never worked in before. I have fears concerning this. 2) I very often experience back pain during the middle of the day. Any activity aggravates this pain and usually requires rest. In short, I am not completely sure I can put in a full days worth of work yet. Sitting for long periods aggravates this pain, and any lifting also does.

I am tired of staying at home and really miss work. Plus bills are pilling up. I don't want to go the SSI route as I feel I need to be a productive member of society. I know I will have to learn to stretch and move around at any job I take just to make it thru the day.

But I am really worried I won't be able to pull it off. Does this make sense?? I don't want to re-injure my back!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Sitting at a computer all day is one of the worst things you can do for your back.  The only thing I can tell you is to go buy the most comfortable chair you can and take frequent brakes to get up walk around and stretch.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a bad back also.  There is no way I could sit at a job all day.  Best I can suggest is to get up early to stretch out. Get up at work and walk around as much as you can. Lastly put some type of back support on your chair.  Good luck.  Sucks having a bad back.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  It was been bothering me for a while and I just had to talk about it.

I do plan on getting a really good chair.  I am also concerned that employyers won't want me for fear of another claim.

I guess we will see what happens because I know what I have to do.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
That's exactly what I do.  Sit at a 'puter for 13 hours a day. (but I only work 3 days a week!) What I've found is to stand up every chance you get.  If I'm talking to a customer and don't need to type I get up and sorta pace around the cube w/a headset on.  Sun is sort of a circular building so I'll take an occasional lap around the inside corridor.

As far as being nervous about the new career, let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.  I'm an SCSA and work primarily on Unix mass storage (Veritas, Disksuite and various tape libraries) so let me know if you need a hand in any of those areas, I'd be glad to help any way I can.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Exactly what type of surgery did you have?  Any physical therapy after the surgery?  I've got a herniated disc, L5, S1 in my lower back.  I've been able to avoid surgery by going to therapy and strengthening the torso, back and abs and am almost back to a regular activity level.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Dukota

I had four leaking disks, L2-S1.  It got so bad I literally would lose feeling in my left leg and fall down.  I had a double level fussion on L4-L5/L5-S1.  Surgery fixed that but I still have pain when my back "locks".  There are also other complications.

I am in P/T and it helps alot, but I am not nearly as flexable as I used to be.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Sgtar15, I feel your pain, literally.  My back isn't nearly as bad as yours but in going to PT I have spoken with a number of people that have had the same procedure and they are doing pretty good.  With a lot of hard work you should be able to get to a workable level.

One thing they have me working with is a Bodyblade.  Look it up at Bodyblade.com.  It's designed to strengthen the torso, strengthening the underlying muscles you normally don't target directly when working the abs.  I picked one up on Ebay for $60.

Another torso builder is using a Physioball.  Those big rubber balls that you always see women working out with and you think what the hell is that going to do for me?  I'm too macho to use that.  Again, it does a great job and is very low impact on the spine itself.  You are basically doing crunches or lying on your back rolling the ball with your feet forward and back, both feet on the ball at the same time to concentrate on the lower abs, keeping them tight.  I'm sure you have heard the term "puck and tuck" at PT.  Keeping your abs tight at all times.  

There are also a number of spine stabalization exercises I have been doing.  I could send them to you if you would like.

I went from not being able to walk over the Christmas holidays because the pain was so intense to now I can play golf, run, bike ride, do anything I want by doing these exercises 3 times a week.  My wife tells me I have developed a mini 6-pack.  Gotta keep going, she loves it.

I think the only thing that really still bothers me is, just like you, sitting for a long time.  Airplanes or meetings are killers.  Just get up as often as possible to move around.

Oh I also forgot, if you carry your wallet in your back pocket, take it out.  Done wonders for me.  A walletecktomy my Dr. calls it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Sgtar15, I've known two people who used adjustable computer tables.  They were adjustable for standing or sitting during use.  Maybe your new employer will buy you one.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't have much advice to offer you sgtar15, but I wish you the best.  Just make sure you have an "ergonomically correct" workstation and that you get up and walk around as much as possible.  Go get 'em!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Dukota,

Thanks for the input.  I am currently going to a great P/T.  We do more streatching/flexability exercises than muscle building.  It has worked great as I am finally off pain pills, which is a huge deal for me.

I am able to do hiking and shooting for the most part.  Hiking has always been a big love of mine.

Later

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Sarge, check your IM
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]
DonR,

I checked it but I don't know what I am supposted to do.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#15]
A couple of folks here have bad backs, and the company bought them those Herman Miller Aeron chairs - they seem pretty happy with those.

Good luck in the new career!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#16]
If you get a job at Earthlink, they have these 800 dollar chairs [url]http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/product/0,1469,c201-pss1-p8,00.html[/url]

no wonder we are going broke...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://www.hermanmiller.com/product/graphics/seating/aeron/aeron1.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm pretty comfy right now though....and I'm the guy who threw out his back from shooting a 30-30 three months ago!  I fired ten rounds and I couldnt move!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm pretty comfy right now though....and I'm the guy who threw out his back from shooting a 30-30 three months ago!  I fired ten rounds and I couldnt move!
View Quote

How did you hurt it originally?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Folks that have never experienced a bad back are most fortunate.  Twenty years ago my back went CLACK as a result of a bad parachute landing.  Of all the Doctors' and remedies prescribed over the years, short of the surgery that I am still declining, keeping your stomach muscles in shape has helped me as much as anything.  Take plenty of stretch breaks but start off with small ones.  Best of luck...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I went out into the desert after a kick ass breakfast with another AR15.com'er and when I began to shoot, I noticed the opposite side (rifle on right shoulder)getting tighter and tigher with each shot fired....couldnt move for a week, whole left side of my back was in pain worse than anything...
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Dude, nearly all computer-geek places will set up your computer in whichever "ergonomic" fashion you prefer.

Roughly 20% of my former coworkers over the last few years have had their desks set up so they could stand and work for the entire day, rather than sitting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top