Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 2:17:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have posted here about public cameras (like anyone actually reads this stuff).

The Brits have had analogue cameras using tape in their public areas for years . These are very old technology and really no more than your VHS. They caught pictures of that very young child just before his young "friends" murdered him. Many malls and parking lots in the USA have similar cameras now.

But what may be of interest (and possibly troubling) is that digital cameras are getting very inexpensive and have the potential of the wild sci-fi technologies in the recent movie "Enemy of the State". Digital cameras only need very, very high quality lenses and the camera operators could monitor our every public move. These inexpensive lenses may not be far off. The computers today are capable of panning and zooming and following an object (or person) without much input from an operator, and without the camera moving itself. The recordings are recoded in digital form and are instanly availble by computer interface. The compression technologies mean very small files with very high quality pictures.

I don't see how this can be avoided, or if we as a (somewhat) free people should fear this so long as only public spaces are monitored. But I am still collating...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top