Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2002 9:34:19 PM EDT
My friend wishes to set-up her own webpage. She's managed HTML alright on her own, but now she wants to make an online forum. Anyone here know how to generate one? Or maybe point to a sight that is informative on the subject? Thanks!

PS ~ Are forums Geocities compatible?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't geocities a free webhosting site ? If so the amount of space they give you for free is not gonna handle a forum.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if they suck or not, but Delphi forums is an option.

[url]www.delphiforums.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
the absolute best forums are [url]phpbb.com[/url]

But VBbuliten is good as well, if you want to pat for it...

go with phpBB

And if she needs any graphic help just IM me
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what you mean by wanting to "make" an online forum--if she actually wants to run her own then I would highly recommend going to [url]http://www.webvelosix.com[/url].  The folks there left delphiforums and created their own open source software which anyone can have for free.  It would require running her own dedicated server however.  The other option for the less technically inclined would be to get a forum set up from one of the companies mentioned.  Delphi has recently started charging for its services, I believe, and I think that is the overall trend on the net.  Everyday there are fewer services you can get for free as people have realized that you can't make money from nothing more than advertisements.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen a few sites which  don't actually have forums, but they have a guestbook.  Would that work for her?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top