Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2002 7:28:28 PM EDT
I will use the Spotting Scope mostly at the 100 and 300 meter range.
I wear glasses and I do not want to spend more than $300.

Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Winchester branded scope for about $130 from www.natchezss.com.  It is a variable 15-45 power, 60mm lens.  Comes with a table top tripod, soft case, and hard case.

Mine works like a dream out to 200 yards (my longest range).  I'm sure it would be fine at 300 yards too.

Try this link:

[url]http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?bool=AND&maxhits=20&cartid=a-7002&category=All&keywords_1=*&keywords=Winchester+Spotting[/url]

Oh yes, I wear glasses too.  No problem with eye relief.  Real bright image.  Great for bird watching too.  Maybe one of the best deals I've ever found.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a Winchester branded scope for about $130 from www.natchezss.com.  It is a variable 15-45 power, 60mm lens.  Comes with a table top tripod, soft case, and hard case.

Mine works like a dream out to 200 yards (my longest range).  I'm sure it would be fine at 300 yards too.

Try this link:

[url]http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?bool=AND&maxhits=20&cartid=a-7002&category=All&keywords_1=*&keywords=Winchester+Spotting[/url]

Oh yes, I wear glasses too.  No problem with eye relief.  Real bright image.  Great for bird watching too.  Maybe one of the best deals I've ever found.
View Quote

I have the same one, it's been fine for me as well. But I paid 160.00 for mine, darnit! [V]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I too have a spotting scope on my shoping list, however, I was at the local shop checking that Winchester out.. the one I seen was a POS. focus knob: inop, magnification selector: inop.  another turn-off: made in china.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Only other advice I'd offer is spend more $s on your rifle scope, and save $s on your spotting scope.

Trust me, the Winchester works great.

Anyway, you can always return it if it doesn't work for you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
How about the 60mm Nikon Sky & Earth series, which can be had for less than $300 with 15-45x zoom eyepiece or perhaps the Nikon Realtree for just a little more? I don't know a lot about these scopes, but Nikon generally has a good reputation.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
While I’m not generally a big fan of Bushnell, their Spacemaster spotting scope seems to be a good deal for the price.  

SWFA has it with a 20 to 45 zoom long eye relief eyepiece and a case for $299.  For $333, you can get the same outfit with a tripod (essentially a small camera tripod, not a traditional shooting tripod).  

The Spacemaster is available with an armor coating, though I’m not sure the one SWFA is selling has it.  I definitely prefer the armor coating.  

The long eye relief eyepiece is great for someone who wears glasses (which actually should be everyone at a firing range!).  

However, you’d get better resolution with a fixed eyepiece, not a zoom.   While I’ve never tried it - I’ve got to think that seeing .223 holes at 300 meters with any scope in this price range is going to be a challenge.

Sniper Country has a interesting review of the Spacemaster and several other scopes at [url]www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/SpottingScopes.htm[/url].
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a lightly used Nikon Fieldscope at a second hand camera shop in Osaka Japan for $80. I bought a new 20-45 eye piece for it for another $120. For less than $200 its an awsome scope.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a Nikon Sky and Earth Spotting Scope, 20-60x 80mm, Straight Body from Midway for about $540.  Includes a full-size tripod.  Very nice and I recommend it highly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#12]
check out the burris "lamdmark" seies. out to 200 it works well for me. about $130, with bench tripod.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
check out the burris "lamdmark" seies. out to 200 it works well for me. about $130, with bench tripod.
View Quote

This is the same unit we are offering with the 2002 LEGP...  Great optics for a low cost!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Keep in mind that perhaps the most important metric in determining how well a scope will function is objective diameter.  60mm scopes are barely bigger than a lot of rifle scopes, and don't offer a great deal more capability either, in my opinion.  I'd look for an 80mm objective scope if possible.  Another possibility is the 127mm Celestron C5.  This scope will probably outperform any other scope on the market.  Here's a link:

[url]http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=4&purch=1&pid=785[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
While I’m not generally a big fan of Bushnell, their Spacemaster spotting scope seems to be a good deal for the price.  

SWFA has it with a 20 to 45 zoom long eye relief eyepiece and a case for $299.  For $333, you can get the same outfit with a tripod (essentially a small camera tripod, not a traditional shooting tripod).
View Quote

I was attempting to spot for someone who had one of these over the weekend.  I [red]don't[/red] recommend them.  The "tripod" was as bad as the "spotting scope".

Scope: fuzzy image, too dark.  Yes, I tried using the focusing knob.  No, it didn't help much.  This was at 20x, BTW.

Tripod: very flimsy; it twisted (torqued) rather than slipping when I attempted to shift the scope, and would bounce back as soon as I let up pressure on the scope.  The wind was causing the scope to shake all over the place (not a problem on the other scopes on the line).
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another possibility is the 127mm Celestron C5.  
View Quote

Marvl is correct.  These Schmidt-Cassegrain-type scopes are better than more traditional spotting scopes.  The model recommended is outstanding.  With other models, be sure they come with an image-erecting prism.  Also, they frequently do not come with zoom eyepieces (the C5 doesn't), and that eyepiece can run $200 by itself.  The fixed magnification may make it a bit of a pain to use at 100 yards, where the field of view is pretty small.  But at 600 yards, oh Baby!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your advice.
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
You may want to give the folks at Orion telescopes a try.

[url]http://www.telescope.com/cgi-bin/OrionTel.storefront/3cdd683706e85feafe55c0a80a650704/Catalog/AM[/url]

They've got good scopes for the money. I do not own any of these scopes but I've bought some of my optics from them and I've been pleased with what I got.

The scopes that I do have range from a 60mm Bushnell Spacemaster (15x-45x zoom) to a 200mm Schmidt Cassegrain telescope ( a Celestron C8 with a fork mount ) with a couple of Maksutov Cassegrains ( 90mm Celestron and a 127mm Mead )tossed in to round out a set. IMHO, a good "mak" is better( to MY eyes at least )than a good spotting scope that you would find in a sporting goods store( exept for the high-end/high-dollar ones ). On the other hand, a rubber armoured spotter can take rough handeling ALOT better than most "maks". My Spacemaster fell off my ATV, bounced off a rock, and rolled into the mud with no noticable damage after I cleaned it. I would hate to see that happen to my maks!

Just my $.02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top