Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2011 8:19:50 PM EDT
I must have missed the memo on this change. I hear "vice" used regularly and can't remember a time when it was explained why versus is no longer to be used. Am I out of the loop?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for the joke that I am surely not in on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What about sans versus vice?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Et tu, Brute?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wut? "Sans," without?

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I must have missed the memo on this change. I hear "vice" used regularly and can't remember a time when it was explained why versus is no longer to be used. Am I out of the loop?

In Latin, "Vice" means "in place of". It's the ablative of vix, (change).
As an adverb, Vice means "otherwise". Versa, is the past participle of the verb Verto, meaning to turn around.
The phrase, Vice Versa or Versa Vice, means literally "otherwise turned around" or commonly, "with places exchanged".
The solo use of Vice means something different.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You should have asked for adversus before you posted.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I would use verses for competition vs. vice.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Latin, "Vice" means "in place of". It's the ablative of vix, (change).

As an adverb, Vice means "otherwise". Versa, is the past participle of the verb Verto, meaning to turn around.

The phrase, Vice Versa or Versa Vice, means literally "otherwise turned around" or commonly, "with places exchanged".

The solo use of Vice means something different.

OP - Your original question was a bit confusing, but I think ColonelHurtz summed things up nicely. I applaud you for choosing your words with care. The abuse of our language today is both shocking and pathetic.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
OP should have looked up his question on Google or Bing, or vice versa.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:08:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Is that a new cable station dedicated to hookers and blow?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:14:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Ego operor haud tutela
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Vice vis a vis versus?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#15]
English - how's it work.

From the Latin, but a widely used word in English longer than anyone here has been alive.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vice

3 vice prep \ˈvīs also ˈvī-sē

Definition of VICE

: in the place of <I will preside, vice the absent chairman>; also : rather than
Origin of VICE

Latin, abl. of vicis change, alternation, stead — more at week
First Known Use: 1770

"Versus" is NOT used the same way, and implies an opposition or competition, not just an alternate, substitute, or replacement.

See "Vice President"  also "Vicar."
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
English - how's it work.

From the Latin, but a widely used word in English longer than anyone here has been alive.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vice

3 vice prep \ˈvīs also ˈvī-sē

Definition of VICE

: in the place of <I will preside, vice the absent chairman>; also : rather than
Origin of VICE

Latin, abl. of vicis change, alternation, stead — more at week
First Known Use: 1770

"Versus" is NOT used the same way, and implies an opposition or competition, not just an alternate, substitute, or replacement.

See "Vice President"  also "Vicar."

And "viceroy".
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you say or write "vice" instead of "versus," you are relieved of the obligation to formally notify your audience of the fact that you are a half-wit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut? "Sans," without?

My pants! My pants!
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top