Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2002 8:26:10 AM EDT
I have posted this several times but it is always appreciated by those who have not seen it.  It is a long read but, [b]very[/b] worthwhile.

[url=http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira58.html]We don’t need no steenking 2nd Amendment![/url]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I like it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff !  I sure didn't know the part about the militia being formed later........

Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]
1Gun - any chance of posting a few of the more delectable excerpts ??
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
... Should be manditory reading in high school.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
“What are you doing with that?” Bill asked.

I looked up. He was talking to me.

I looked down in my lap at the gun parts I had there. “I’m cleaning it,” I said.

“What do you need it for?” he asked.

“I don’t usually clean them but...”

“No, not why do you need to clean it, why do you need a gun?”

“Why do I need it?”

“Yes.”

“I want it,” I said.

“But why do you need one?” he persisted.

“Need one?” I asked again, not understanding his question. “I don’t follow you.”

“How many guns do you have?”

“You mean ‘own’ or how many did I bring up with me?”

My question seemed to put him off.

“How many do you own?” he asked in a voice that was tinged with exasperation. “How many guns do you have here, there, and everywhere?”

I thought a minute. “About a dozen.”

He screwed up his face. “What do you need 12 guns for? If you need a gun, one should be enough.”

“Enough for what?”

“What do you need a gun for?”
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm always flabbergasted how people think the 2nd amendment refer's to the government's authority to own guns.

Everyone knows, a priori, the government has the power to keep and bear arms.  All governments do and have in the past. An article in the main body of the constitution gives the government the authority to raise an army and navy. Why would the drafters of the constitution redundantly state an obvious power of national sovereignty in the Bill of Rights?

The spirit of the 1st 5 amendments is to assert individual rights the government has no authority to abridge.  The others deal with the rights of states vis a vis the federal government.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Some are just dumb, but others just haven't thought it through. I've seen some anti-gunners become pro-gunners after they realized that their position made no sense.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Stinking gunophobic bigots. I hate gunophobes. I
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
... Should be manditory reading in high school.
View Quote

The part about natural rights ought to be mandatory reading for the Bush administration.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think it's just an issue with the 2nd Ademendment. That's all constitutional trivia, what's the big picture is that modern government doesn't believe that we individuals can be trusted with our rights. Since weapons are the most visible in terms of abuse, it will go first.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Good article!  I'm especially glad he brought up the 9th & 10th amendments.  People don't pay enough attention to these very important amendments.  They are supposed to keep the federal government from growing too big.  See what happens when the people don't pay attention to what their government is doing!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top