Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2002 11:54:01 PM EDT
This is what Paul Mcartney said this evening on the tonight show. Millions? Really? Cowardly? Come on now. Who ever said anything about war being honorable? If I am at war, I'd take a million claymors and be a coward than have none and be dead and honorable.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#1]
true, but after the war is over, they are still there....... speaking of still being there think how many cool guns are just laying around the jungle in vietnam and other places, although I guess they would just be rust balls by now... Ok I went way off the subject never mind.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The way i understand it, mine technology has advanced to the point that they can be made to self destruct after a set number ogf months.

Of course, the third world countries may only be able to afford the older variety woithout this feature, not to mention you don't want your hut to be next to one when it finally Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
true, but after the war is over, they are still there....... speaking of still being there think how many cool guns are just laying around the jungle in vietnam and other places, although I guess they would just be rust balls by now... Ok I went way off the subject never mind.
View Quote

My vietnam-vet bud told me that as the U.S. was leaving vietnam, it dumped tons of guns and equipment in the ocean. Must be ruined by now, but still nice to think about.

Sewer_Urchin, by placing viciousness above normalcy, you are likely to win your wars. I see no dishonor in that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up with the Beatles, as well.  Still love listening to them.  Never did care for Paul.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Unexploded arty, unexploded cluster bombs, unexploded bombs, land mines - just tools in the business of war.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't want step into the buffer zone at Guantanomo,Cuba.  That place is loaded too.  I've seen helicopter photo's and my daughter who was there says it is full of sensors and mines.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#9]
i thynk the border patrol along our southern border shud be replaced wyth those mines...!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess that by Paul's logic, that guns would be cowardly too since you can kill from a distance. Maybe we should drop him in the middle of a hot DZ with a big club, and see how brave he is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is what Paul Mcartney said this evening on the tonight show. Millions? Really? Cowardly?
View Quote

It's interesting to see that some of the main member nations of the United Nations he so dearly loves still employs land mines on a daily basis: Russia and China.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, you do have to understand that there are differences in employing various types of mines. Finland for example, employs them in a fashion that they are mapped, can be taken out when wanted. We have a long line with Russia (and who else is going to attack us, Sweden [;)] ) and we must have AP mines in order to be ready to defend our territory.

We have agreed to replace our AP mines, which is idiotic, and now we have to find another more costly way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I think we really missed our chance when mad cow diesese was raging in England. Think about it, the brits could have sent all the cows to walk the mine fields in cambodia or wherever and in doing so could have eradicated two problems.

Why don't smarter people than me think of these things? [:)]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think we really missed our chance when mad cow diesese was raging in England. Think about it, the brits could have sent all the cows to walk the mine fields in cambodia or wherever and in doing so could have eradicated two problems.

Why don't smarter people than me think of these things? [:)]
View Quote

Maybe becuase nobody wants the job of transporting diseased animals around the world? I know I wouldnt feel safe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The way i understand it, mine technology has advanced to the point that they can be made to self destruct after a set number ogf months.

Of course, the third world countries may only be able to afford the older variety woithout this feature, not to mention you don't want your hut to be next to one when it finally Glocks.
View Quote

Given a (generous) ten per cent failure rate, and 50,000 bomblets from CBUs would give you five thousand mines that did not explode when they were supposed to. That is the main angle that the anti-minelet people are arguing. Remember, people are still being killed over 25 years later in Viet Nam by unexploded bomblets and mines. We sent teams of experts to Kuwait and Iraq to clean up after Desert Storm. The Gator CBU mine dispensers have a switch. They can be set to self-destruct at three different intervals. This gives you the option of how long to block an enemy advance, and then make a safe counter-strike. IF all the mines explode when they should...

Scott

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Mines are great. The folks who want to ban them are fluff-headed idiots.

Mines, in and of themselves, can be an excellent force multiplier and can be used to channelize enemy forces. Mines, however, are only as good as the fire that covers them.

Yes, mines and other unexploded ordinance do kill people who had nothing to do with the conflict, which may have been over for decades. This is the result of three things:

-Mines laid specifically to kill civilians;
-Mines laid by less-than-competent forces;
-We didn't clearly win.

If the US wins the war, we'll help clean up the mess, because we are the "good" guys. If we lose (or don't achieve a clear victory), then the "winner" gets to take care of the unexploded ordinance. If the North Vietnamese want to whine about our unexploded stuff littered over Southeast Asia, then they shouldn't have won. To the victor goes the spoils.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Imagine there no Paul......... [:D]

Dave S

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Two words.

Necessary Evil.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Hippie pud lick.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree with Paul.  They are cowardly and maim and kill millions.  I disagree with his silly solution to the mine problem.

I have spent time recently in Cambodia.  In the 70s the Khmer Rouge set millions of mines to terrorize and control the population.  The Khmer Rouge is gone.  The mines are not.  No one knows where they are.  It is still dangerous to walk off main paths.  And sometimes when rainey season starts and paths soften, old mines that were safe on hard dirt will go off with soft dirt.  Visit Phnom Phen and see the cripples.

So, I would be all for rules of law requiring mines to have a lifespan limitation.   If I thought it would do any good.  It wouldn't.  People like the Khmer Rouge don't care about the law.  Since they also murdered millions and there is a law against that I doubt one against mines would help.

It's like gun  control.  Only the honorable nations would abide by the  law.  The renegade nations would still build and place cheap mines with zero concern for  the innocent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top