Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2011 7:11:45 PM EDT
Watching a rerun on the travel channel. Is this guy legit? I've never heard of him before.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure. I enjoy the show though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it seems pretty cool, a hunting show with a self sufficient guy. I hate the hunting shows with guides taking yuppies out trophy hunting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
This show kicks ass.

Here is an interview with Steve talking about the show.

http://huntcast.blogspot.com/2011/01/episode-113-steven-rinella.html

Here is a blog he has with lots of hunting pictures, etc.

http://blog.travelchannel.com/inside-the-wild-within/

This really is a refreshing show. I like how it actually shows him cleaning and cooking the meat he takes. Very surprising to see from the Travel Channel.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I think its kind of odd he lives in a walk up in NYC yet is outdoors hunting guy.. Who travels to Alaska to fill his freezer. Talking about a stupid plan. It wouldbe cheaper for him to eat fresh lobster every day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Good show. Hunting deer in SE alaska brought back memories.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Scavengers Guide to Haute Cuisine by Steven Rinella ( the guy in the show) is a GREAT book.

From his website:
A rollicking tale of the American wild and its spoils, The Scavenger’s Guide to Haute Cuisine is at once an adventure in hunting and gathering and a visceral experience of the distance between ourselves and the food we love. After stumbling upon Auguste Escoffier’s 1903 culinary milestone Le Guide Culinaire, outdoorsman, avid hunter, and nature writer Steven Rinella embarks on an unusual quest: to procure all necessary ingredients for a forty-five-course meal, born entirely of Escoffier’s esoteric wild game recipes.

For one year, Rinella traverses the country assembling his feast—fishing for stingrays in Florida, flying cross-country to Michigan to obtain a fifteen-pound snapping turtle, and hunting mountain goats in Alaska. While in pursuit of his ingredients, Rinella encounters colorful characters, introduces his vegetarian girlfriend to the lifestyle and dishes of a huntsman, and comes to terms with the loss of his lifelong (if not culinary) mentor, his father. The Scavenger’s Guide to Haute Cuisine is a delicious, absorbing account of one man’s relationship with his family, friends, food, and, of course, the natural world.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw an episode and enjoyed it. I have a few more on the dvr, but have not had time to watch yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think its kind of odd he lives in a walk up in NYC yet is outdoors hunting guy.. Who travels to Alaska to fill his freezer. Talking about a stupid plan. It wouldbe cheaper for him to eat fresh lobster every day.

He did it for a girl. Read his book.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talk about pussywhipped.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Talk about pussywhipped.

Well I don't want to go takin the guys man card away, from reading the book thats what it seems like. I just wanted to convey that hey wasn't some writer that decided to get his hands dirty for a book. The dude is an actual outdoors guy, not sure why he lives in NYC though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top