Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 7:25:16 PM EDT
I'm thinking of putting together a new computer, and this is the first of probably several questions.
I think I'll be settling on a Pentium 4 CPU at 2.0Ghz.
I've had good luck with Asus boards and will probably go with another, unless one of you Gurus steers me in another direction.

The boards I'm considering are:

Asus P4B266 which will use PC2100 DDR SDRAM or

Asus P4T-E which uses PC800 RDRAM

The computer will be used primarily for gaming and the internet.

So the question is, a system with DDR SDRAM or a system with RDRAM, and why?

Keep in mind, I don't know "jack" about computers.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
DDR well be the best performance, but price wize probally sdram
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the P4T-E with PC800 RDRam.  If I have my facts straight this board offers a faster "front side bus" speed (800Mhz) compared to the Rambus (400Mhz).  What front side bus speed means is this: Now matter how fast your CPU is, it is the bus speed that really matters.  Think of it as a very fast car on a highway.  The fast car (your 2.0Ghz cpu) can't go that fast on a crowded highway(400 front side bus) but it can kick ass on a empty highway(800Mhz).

Make sense?  Eather way, if cost doesn't matter then go with the higher front side bus speed for games.  It will make a world of differance.  And Asus is an excellent board IMHO.

Good luck.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, do you want that in 1000 words or less, on a gun forum right? [;)]

The g/f and I went AMD several years ago, and never looked back. Here is a board I was recently looking at:
[url]http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q4/011126/kt266a_nforce-12.html[/url]  When you first look at the Soyo Dragon Plus! the 5 purple PCI slots really catch your eyes, but it's the list of features the board offers that makes the board stand out from the crowd.

But if you want to build the best computer you can, yer gonna have to read, read.
So  .  .  .
If you want to learn more about kick ass components: [b]MaximumPC Magazine[/b]
If you want to assemble the best componests into a kick ass machine: [b]MaximumPC Magazine[/b]
If you want maximum information and minimum bs: [b]MaximumPC Magazine[/b]
[url]http://www.maximumpc.com/index.html[/url]

In the March issue, they had 15 pages, you’ll find all the blueprints you’ll need to conceive, build, and troubleshoot your own PC screamer. It's reprinted on the web site now!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have just built a new system, so here are my ideas.  If you have had good luck with Asus motherboards, then I say stick with them.  I have had the same good luck with Shuttle motherboards, that's why I use that brand.  I would use DDR ram instead of Rambus memory.  There won't be that much difference in performance, but DDR memory is a lot cheaper that the Rambus.  Even Intel is supporting DDR memory now.  Get a good video card.  Something from ATI, or a brand that has a GeForce 3, or 4 chip.  Don't skimp on the hard drive.  I have a Maxtor 60 gig, 7200 rpm drive.  My system is not the fastest, but going from a 333 Mhz AMD K6-2 with 64 meg of ram to a 1.4 Ghz Athlon Thunderbird with 256 meg of DDR ram is not bad either!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, first of all, I strongly suggest you go with an AMD processor.  You get more bang for your buck.  Although at least you have a choice now with Intel as far as DDR RAM or Rambus, never ever go for rambus.  Too much money for not nearly the performance promised.

Go AMD Processor,
ASUS or ABIT motherboards are darn good, espescially if you want to overclock, but they're good regardless.  If you have no interest in overclocking Tyan also makes a hell of a good board.

Use DDR Ram, as I mentioned, don't bother with Rambus (RDRAM)

As far as video, forget ATI, get a Geforce, either a 3 or 4.  You will pay less for a 3 but have to upgrade a year sooner with the 4.  You make the call.  Either one is good.  Personally I would go for a 4 but that is up to you.  ATI makes decent cards but games are designed for chipsets like the Geforce, and ATI does it's best to compete, that's why I say stay with the Geforce.  It's the Voodoo of a couple of years ago.

Any more questions? Just let me know, I'm more than happy to answer.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If the choice is RDRAM PC800 vs. DDR, I would probably opt with DDR if you can get it for cheaper. But RDRAM prices are dropping significantly, and the new PC1200 memory will blow away the fastest DDR memory.

Here's a good article.
[url]www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020501/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I would also recommend AMD, Pentiums are fine but AMD 1.5's are benchtesting and multitasking right up there with P4's at 2.0ghz and showing more stability. Did anyone mention they were cheaper? You can take the money saved and sink it into a meaner video card or whatever. Try this site [url]www.hardocp.com[/url] When a Pentium outperforms an AMD chip it's on the high end of things like some serious sound mixing. I think a P4 will run more tracks but if your goal is to play games an cruise the internet instead of being a Fatboy Slim disciple, who cares? I use an ABIT motherboard, i'm sure the others mentioned are fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Also [url]www.compuplus.com[/url] and [url]www.newegg.com/index.asp[/url] A friend of mine ordered a Gainward Gforce card from newegg and it is red hot and designed to be overclocked for gaming, also makes them pirate movies look damn good. Saw an excellent version of Jason X a month before it came out.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Crookshanks,

Go [url=http://www.overclockers.com]here[/url]. It's not exactly what they do, but it's been the most knowledgeable, & helpful board I've ever used for rolling your own box. They keep up with the best prices, evaluate, and compare all new products, etc. JMO...
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#10]

DoomPatrol:
Also [url]www.compuplus.com[/url] and [url]www.newegg.com/index.asp[/url]
View Quote

Ditto DoomPatrol! Newegg.com is THE place to buy hardware right now.
(They have a habit of upgrading for no extra cgarge if something's out of stock).
Good people!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#11]
For your listed uses, it doesn't justify the extra cost of RDRAM - plus, RDRAM is nearly a dead platform.  Even Intel is ditching it.

RDRAM will theoretically provide you with more memory bandwidth (which is good) than DDR, but DDR has a much lower latency (which is good).

Try to think of it this way:  RDRAM is a big fat water pipe.  In it, hundreds of gallons can flow through it at one time.  But, the valve is slow to open.  Then you have DDR.  It's pipe is just a tad bit smaller, but the valve is like those doors in Star Wars!

Since you are planning for this to be a gaming machine/internet surf station, I'd recommend the platform with the lowest latency (the faster valve) - DDR SDRAM.  RDRAM has it's plusses, too, but it's big minus would affect your primary uses for the machine - games and web browsers that need quick access to information stored in memory so as not to degrade playability.

If you were planning on doing some CAD or CAM work, then I might change my tune.  But I'd also recommend an AMD processor over a P4 for that type of application.

I typically would recommend an AND over a P4, I think your idea of a P4 with DDR will match your needs quite nicely.

Asus makes a great product, a few other manufacturers would be Tyan and Abit.  Soyo is making a comeback as well.

HTH,

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I second the Soyo Dragon Plus and AMD processors dollar for dollar they cannot be beat.  I am currently using the Soyo Dragon Plus and the AMD XP1900 with 512MB DDR and a GF3. When my silly Intel friends come over they are amazed at the speed and the price it cost me to build it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#13]
For some good write-ups on motherboards, go to [url]www.motherboards.org[/url]

Also, take a look at [url]www.outpost.com[/url] as they sometimes have some very decent deals on cpu/mobo combinations.

I ran an Asus P3V4X for the past several years with a P3 600eb processor (133MHz FSB) with no problems.  I just decided to upgrade to a P4 1.7G, with a deal from www.outpost.com.  I didn't get the best mobo and kept my 512M of PC-133 SDRAM (which I'm going to change to DDR RAM today).  But I got the retail boxed processor (3 yr warranty) which was a prerequisite for me, and a nice price on the combo.

The bottom line, however, is - I don't see a lot of difference in the performance of the machine after the upgrade.  I didn't run any sort of benchmarks, just threw the Quake 3 CD in for a while and played around.  I like to build machines, though, and will rebuild the P3 in the near future.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
never ever go for rambus.  Too much money for not nearly the performance promised.
View Quote

Your information is out of date.  rdram is usually cheaper than DDR now.  [url]http://www.pricewatch.com[/url]

Go AMD Processor,
ASUS or ABIT motherboards are darn good, espescially if you want to overclock, but they're good regardless.  If you have no interest in overclocking Tyan also makes a hell of a good board.
View Quote

Again your info is out of date.  If you really want to overclock go with a Pentium 4 [b]with the northwood core[/b].

As far as video, forget ATI, get a Geforce, either a 3 or 4.
View Quote

Well, if you are concerned with "bang for your buck" then the ATI radeon 8500 is an amazing deal.  However nvidia now has a wide range of geforce3 and geforce4 models and I would probably go that route.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies and info!! At the moment I'm leaning toward the bundle below, but that could change. I always agonize over decisions like this.[whacko]
If anyone knows of a better price for what I have listed, please let me know.

PENTIUM 4 - 478 PIN (RETAILED) & DDR BUNDLES
(ASUS P4B266-Specs; INTEL PENTIUM 4 2.0AG - 478; KINGSTON 512MB ECC PC2100; ASSEMBLE/TEST BUNDLE) $569.75
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top