Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2001 6:46:52 AM EDT
I had to tighten the barrel and after I reassembled the locking lugs seem to just not quite match up. It used to be that with the upper off of the lower I could slide the carrier and bolt in and out very eaisly.
Now it binds ever so slightly. I dont think it will be noticeable when firing the gun but it is not the same as it was. If I charge the weapon it shows no effect,However if You Do it VERY slowly it hangs and a small touch of the forward assist sends it forward.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rip
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT

cause it was on pg 6 right after I posted it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The gas tube is most likely the cause. If it is bearing upon the barrel nut it can be deflected to one side. Gas tube deflections are my number one cause of hesitation in bolt lockup. You can either retighten or loosen the barrel nut or just bend the gas tube so it mates more cleanly with the gas key.

Elliott
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
You were right it is the gas tube. The barrel nut is slightly misalinged. However its as tight as I can get it without having a vice. I have the proper wrench but its hard to hold onto without a vice.

any suggestions?

Thanks
Rip
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You need a vice and the proper blocks to hold the receiver.  That nut has to be torqued a certain amount then turned farther, if necessary, to align the gas tube hole.  If that nut is insufficient torque then it may easliy loosen up some during firing and cause problems.  The gas tube will prevent the nut from coming off but it still isnt a good thing to have a loose nut.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with gun toter as there are too many loose nuts in this world already...
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Gun Toter is correct. Refering to my Colt Manual, Second Edition, 1988, page 36; "Initial torque applied to the barrel nut shall be 30 lb-ft using torque limiting wrench and the combination wrench and with the barrel held in the barrel removal vise jaws, in a bench vise. Additional torque shall be applied as nessesary to create clearance for free entry of the gas tube through the barrel nut,...."

Strike Hold
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top