Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 8:47:36 AM EDT
.........proving that even the Mexicans can kick french ass.
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Austin TX.. there's always a big stink about Cinco De Mayo... what with us being so close to Mexico... heck... once upon a time, this was PART of Mexico.  I think it's cool and all, but it's not an official American holiday, so we don't get a day off or anything... :(

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If green beer isn't involved, it's not really a holiday.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Alright fellow Coloradoan, What do you propose to do on that day. I have plans to eat at Taco Bell. How's that for Mexican tradition. LOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
VIVA MEXICO!

LA CERVEZA MAS FINA! [beer]

[img]http://store5.yimg.com/I/tshirtgiant_1684_4589209[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I think this year they are finally going to ban the local Cinco de Mayo celebrations downtown because the parks keep getting trashed with Budweiser cans and bottles and there is always one gang trying to kick ass on another. That's one "holiday" I certainly will not miss.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the 4th of July celebrated in Mexico? I think not.

This is not Mexico and cinco de mayo has absolutely nothing to do with the United States. Therefore, I see no reason other than showing loyalty to another country in celebrating this day.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Does Mexico celebrate July 4th?

Is there a White Pride Day here in the US?

Nah...didn't think so.

So called holidays like this just perpetuates racism in America thru the acknowledgement of our differences instead of celebration of our common bonds.

SIGH.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Alright fellow Coloradoan, What do you propose to do on that day. I have plans to eat at Taco Bell. How's that for Mexican tradition. LOL
View Quote

Hehehehe, well I plan on avoiding South Federal and the barrios. I think I can bear to miss the lowrider traffic jams, the boom cars playing mariachi music, and the random drive-by shootings this year.

Mostly, I don't celebrate the Mexican victory as much as I take yet another day to scoff at the french.

I think I will stay home, continue packing the house, painting the rooms, drinking German beer, and maybe play some 50s rock and roll.

And hey, since Denver finally celebrates Oktoberfest down on Larimer Square, I have no hostility towards any other ethnic celebrations anymore.

Juneteenth, Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest, St Patrick's Day, who cares as long as folks have some fun, music, and can drink a little beer outdoors? It's only when they turn violent that I object.

(edited to add St Patrick's Day, how could I have forgotten THAT one? [:D])
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is not Mexico and cinco de mayo has absolutely nothing to do with the United States. Therefore, I see no reason other than showing loyalty to another country in celebrating this day.

View Quote

Wow...I agree with Imbroglio..[>:/]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Not sure of the cultural signifigance but every May 5, it's me and the wife in our favorite local Mexican joint.

Nachos & Enchiladas & Tacos...VIVA! OLE!

More salsa and cheese please....
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#11]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow...I agree with Imbroglio..

Then why do we all make such a big deal about ST. Patrick's Day? I think we SHOULD celebrate our differences. America became a melting pot because we have the freedom to be different. What I don't understand is the inability to celebrate being white;/ Makes no sence to me. We have Black Pride, Brown Pride...why is White Pride so bad? And I'm not talking about some Neo-Nazi crap either. Just an FYI before you flame me I'm Mexican American/ Polish...what a combo:) Try pierogis and refried beans, mmmmmm!!rocko.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell that to the President. I think he's got the subject slotted on his schedule today...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#13]
On the subject of beer, have tried the Cafe Berlin on 17th & Vine? My girlfriend and I frequent the place on a monthly basis.

The selection of beer is good, the schnitzel is awesome and their bread pudding is out of this world.

Regarding "Scotchtober" (Groundskeeper Willy/Simpsons) Fest at Larimer Square, many of my friends have given up on the event due to the poor selection of beer.

I do agree with you that it's a place where people can gather and have a good time.  

Now, tell us how you really "feel" about your aforementioned posting. LOL

It sounds like you're moving. Wherever go "Vaya con Dios"
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hell, [b]MEXICO[/b] doesnt even celebrate CINCO DE MAYO (well execpt for the border towns, but thats becuasee they want the gringo $$$... )

Mexico does their own thing in the 16th..

same goes for mothers day and haloween.
these events happen on diffrent days down there .. Why? now that I dont know...

edited cause its hard to spell with managment walking around the floor and having to switch screens every time they come by...[:)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I will celebrate this day with as much cultural diversity and compassion that is humanly possible. We need to embrace these poor masses that come to our county for a better way of life, free health care, welfare, foodstamps, getting paid in cash and sending all the dinero back to Mexico, driving really stupid looking cars, eyeballing every white woman that walks by, speaking perfect English after being shortchanged, gangbanging animals that prey on honest citizens! Wait, what was I thinking, just more Democraps!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Espinaca......you named my very favorite restaurant in this whole city!
We save Café Berlin for the most special of times......yes, the best in Colorado!
We are moving to Texas, trying to sell this house in Washington Park, and buy a gorgeous mansion in E Texas, close to the Louisiana border.
Gonna run it as a B&B, tea room, and maybe even a German restaurant, a la Café Berlin style.
Yes, I agree the beer selection at Denver Oktoberfest sucks, but I appreciate the recognition of *my* ethnic group they show by even having it, so we have gone every year.
Plus it's nice to hear live German music outdoors downtown for a change.
How I *really* feel, I have stated......I have no objection to anyone's celebration of heritage, as long as it doesn't become violent or dangerous.
I am no less of an American because I am proud of my Teutonic bloodlines.
Every group should have a chance to be proud of their ancestors.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I will go to Taco Bell to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Can`t stand mayo anyway.......never eat the stuff.........[puke]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Hannah, Washington Park was one of the first places I landed (area wise) when moving to Colorado some 10 years ago. The park itself is a great place to workout.

Perhaps you should pay one last visit to Cafe Berlin before heading to B&B land in TX/LA. It sounds like you've had some fond memories of Cafe Berlin.

Having said that, I wish you well on your new business venture.

Upward and onward y vaya con Dios!

paul
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Back in my college days here in Portland the Cinco de Mayo festival on the waterfront was fun, big party, plenty of alcohol and hot college chicks.

Kind of a shock to go to it now. Seems there are all of these, these, well, Mexicans. Fat chicks pushing 8-up strollers, strange music and low-riders. Need I mention the gangs, 4 billion cops, serious searches at the gate and well, no fun. [:(]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

My feelings exactly!

What about the "Quatro de julio"?????

Now, thats something to celebrate!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Down here where I live, every day is Cinco de Mayo.  Hell, even my roommates can't speak English.  [:(]

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Racist bait. Mention Cinco de Mayo.

Who cares?

Kwanza, Rahmadan, anyone?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top