Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 7:07:31 AM EDT
I was just informed by a telephone call from my Ex-wife that a former neighbor of whom I thought a great deal has passed away.

His name was Floyd Hamilton.

During WWII he was a radio operator on the B-17 and he saw action during the European Theatre, twice being shot down.

Of the many unique things about this particular individual, it always fascinated me that during his flight training he was stationed at the Army Air Base in Halls, TN, which is just a few miles down the road.  All of his training took place locally, he met his wife here, married her here and departed from here in order to fight for our country thousands of miles away.

Against insurmountable odds, he survived, returned and settled here to raise a family and become one very interesting and amazing old character.  He was my neighbor and my friend.

Out of the bonds of friendship, admiration, appreciation and the utmost in respect, I salute you Mr. Floyd Hamilton.

Gone but never to be forgotten.

[USA]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Far too many of America's Best are gaining their final rest. Our children need to meet, see, and talk with these men and women only to learn what it means to do one's duty, defend honor and protect liberty.

Eternal rest grant unto him....
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
[usa]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
My hat's off to all those who flew in bombers in the European theater during WWII.  A harrowing, dangerous, and nerve racking job.

My condolences to your friend's family.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
RIP Floyd. We all will see you again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#6]
My respects to Mr. Hamilton.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Too Many have gone, but alas that is the way of things.

RIP Mr. Hamilton.

[url]http://www.uss-saratoga.com/taps1.mp3[/url]

Warning, it will make anybody well up.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank You Benjamin001................indeed, if taps does not move you to tears nothing will.

Very fitting..........Thanks Again!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My respects and thanks to Mr. Floyd Hamilton.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#10]
My wish is that if you know anybody with a similar military history, that you get them to write down, in their own words their experiences during the war.  Or better yet, get them on videotape telling their stories.  Future historians and everyday americans will one day want to know everyone's story.

Rest in Peace.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#11]
My condolences for your friend and family.

[USA]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#12]
My condolances. RIP Mr. Hamilton.[V]

[USA]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I am sorry for your loss.

RIP

ARH

salute[USA]

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
May this hero rest in peace.

For those in the Atlanta area who would like to see what this man flew in, there is a B-17 on display at the airport in Lawrenceville and it will be at Peachtree Dekalb Airport in Chamblee on Monday.  $5 to see it and they will even take you up in it for a hefty $359.  If I had not gotten laid off, I would take that ride in a heartbeat.  Can you imagine the pictures you could take from the inside looking out while in the air?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Far too many of America's Best are gaining their final rest. Our children need to meet, see, and talk with these men and women only to learn what it means to do one's duty, defend honor and protect liberty.

Eternal rest grant unto him....
View Quote

Exactly!
After 9/11 the media was falling all over themselves trying to compare our generation to "The Greatest Generation".  Yeah right...  We've got a hell of a long way to go and most likely will never get there.
[USA]

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#17]
In a world where the likes of sports figures are reveered as heroes, the true heroes slip silently into the night...Another true hero gone forever

salute [USA]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Mr Floyd Hamilton
Thank You
RIP

Juan
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks so much guys for your kind and respectful words.

I just got back from spending time with Ms. Melba [Mr. Floyd's wife] and we had a very good talk about their relationship [60+ yrs], how humourous and cantankerous Mr. Floyd was and about life in general.

This couple, although twice my own age, were my friends and neighbors until my ex and I split.  I cut their grass, helped them with their yard, helped them when they were sick, helped with their house [big house] and just enjoyed learning from them and about them.

For me, it was all very emotional as not only did I lose a friend but I also had to enter the same neighborhood that I loved living in and look at my old house and yard which mean a lot to me.  Almost expected Mr. Floyd to walk around the corner with that ever present glass of ice water then to look up and see my wife walking down through our yard on the way over.

What fragile things are life and love.

I submitt we try not to take anything for granted.

[USA], for you Mr. Floyd my friend, RIP
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#20]
He was (and IS) a hero, but he has not fallen as long as he is honored and remembered. X--Kill, you've done him great service by being his friend, and by allowing us to pay our respects. Mr Hamilton, I thank you for your service, and may you be granted eternal peace.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top