Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 7:03:33 AM EDT
Why do you suppose every politician's solution to a problem, real or perceived, is the imposition of a new tax?  Are they that unimaginative and basically brain dead?  The recent Kalifornia proposals to tax bullets and soda pop are shining examples.  I'd like to add a few of my own.

(1) Thousands of people in this country suffer the hearbreak of corns on their feet.  I propose a tax on all non-ergonomic shoes.

(2) Cell phones are driving up the costs associated with an increased incidence of cancer.  This is less money in the coffers of HMOs with which HMO execs can use to take golfing vacations.  Therefore, I propose the "cell phone HMO exec" tax.

(3) Thousands of poor souls have had their mental health assaulted from watching Sylvester Stallone movies.  I propose a stiff tax on all Sylvester Stallone movies.

(4) Speaking of movies, theater popcorn is responsible for much of the heart disease in this country.  A modest tax on theater popcorn would go a long way towards research and treatment of this vile disease.

(5) And my favorite tax proposal of all... Given the long and extensive history of public abuse by politicians, I propose a tax on every word they speak in legislative sessions, on every word they type in a new bill, and on every special interest payment they receive.  Oh, and this should include pay toilets in state and federal buildings and facilities, with the cost of these tax-deductible by private citizens only.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Power to the politicians, the more money they have, the more power they can buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top