Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2002 3:49:34 AM EDT
Why is the NRA so hot about campaign finance reform, but doesn't even mention the Chicago gun ban on their web site?

Am I sending my money to the wrong place?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
[opinion] More and more I think that the NRA has forgotten who they really are... anymore it seems they are only interested in what benefits firearm manufacturers (now and again) and advancing their own political agenda... Luckily some of the things that benefit the manufacturers actually benefit us as owners so we keep sending them our membership dues and money whenever they send out another 'alert' mass mailing... I wonder what all that mailing costs???  And I wonder how much of the funds left actually are used to defend the 2nd?  Not much, I'd bet...

The NRA long ago adopted a compromise attitude which will one day cut the legs right out from under them... and we, the membership, are the legs... At times they act as dopey as the gun-grabbers... [/opinion]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why is the NRA so hot about campaign finance reform, but doesn't even mention the Chicago gun ban on their web site?

View Quote

Yep....
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The NRA fights the battles that it has a chance of winning. The Chicago gun ban was a lost cause and is a lost cause until the current mayor is out of office. The campaign reform bill that gags lobbys, such as the NRA, from talking to canidates is a much more important battle to fight, not to mention its unconstitutional.Send your money to the NRA, they are the reason why you are able to own AR15s and such today! Patron Life Member.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Chicago gun ban was a lost cause and is a lost cause until the current mayor is out of office.
View Quote

Then to quote Capt. Picard, we need to "make it so."  Mayor Mussolini has gone too far and his life needs to be a living hell personally and politically until things change.  And the NRA should help.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are fighting the components of the bill that would suppress free speech before an election.  They are doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
A very effective ISRA?  I don't think they have been very effective.  The NRA should have a strong presence in any area that it needs to be involved in.   Which is the IL area right know.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree the Chicago gun ban is a shocking and oppressive act. A strong presence is determined by local NRA members who are registered voters. You must have alot of NRA members that are active in their community to have a strong presence. The NRA thrives as a grassroots organization and  just doesn't have much of a presence in Chicago.  To go in and challenge the Chicago mayor without any local support is futile.

We are all better served if the NRA gets the so called "campaign finance reform" overturned in court.

Shok
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Slayer, Where did you ever see anywhere that the NRA thinks AK's & AR's are evil?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#11]
And the NRA should help I think the NRA is more involved behind the scenes than is publized.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]
As far as I see it, the NRA is neccessary, even though they don't fight every battle.  I hope they do take every assault on us seriously, but their funding doesn't allow a battle on every front.  Donate more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Slayer, In your mind whats the alternative?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#16]
"Not to mention a complete lack of support for military style firearms."

ever competed in a nra service rifle match? or an nra military bolt action rifle match?

join the nra..and the goa. it's the best option, imo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#18]
The NRA has already began to fight the AW ban renewal.
And they are challenging it in court.
[url]http://www.cleveland.com/ohio/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/10192951052312857.xml[/url]

However, Chuck is a weanie.
It takes lots of courage to hold up a flintlock pistol and say "From my cold, dead hands". [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't think the media will even run a NRA spot no matter what the cost. I am not saying the NRA is perfect but if pro gun resorces are split among too many organizations then we as gun owners really loose alot of clout. The NRA has more political muscle than any other progun group. Keep our resorces together with the most influencial organization and more will get done.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]
From [url]http://www.nealknox.com[/url]

It was a surprise when the board went into executive session
for presentation of the Finance Committee report.  The most likely
reason was the poor condition of NRA's finances.

According to the annual financial report presented at
Saturday's annual meeting, NRA's net worth, after combining the
assets of all NRA-related foundations and entities, had declined to
$63.8 million in the red.

The 1997 deficit of about $46 million was the primary reason
the then-board was challenging Wayne LaPierre's management.  A
majority of the board -- though short of the super-majority then-
President Marion Hammer ruled was required -- voted to remove him
at the January meeting.  

At the annual meeting that May, Charlton Heston, a supporter
of LaPierre and NRA P.R. firm President Tony Makris, was elected
76th Director by a dubious method, never allowed before or since.
Two days later Heston ran against me for First Vice President,
winning 38-34.

By Dec. 31, 1999, according to NRA's combined report, the
deficit had decreased to $-18.6 million, but climbed to $-45.8
million in 2000.  The stock market drop last year appears to have
accounted for about $10 million of the decline to $-63.8 million by
the end of 2001.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#21]
[url=http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-rkba47.html]Heston and Ak-47's[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Slayer, Here in the Peoples Republic of Md., we are governed by the most liberal democratic know not polititions this side of the land of fruits & nuts (California). If not for the NRA and all the battles they have fought in this state then I am sure I would not have my five AR"S nor my AK. Unchallenged the idots here would have banned ownership of all firearms by now. I live on the eastern shore in Md. where sanity rules but we are governed by liberal masses west of the Chesapeke Bay.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#24]
PS. I would rather live in the great state of the Confederacy Alabamy!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#26]
[url]http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/8056/[/url]

I didn't post this but I feel its true and a guy below him is also correct in saying do you think they'll drop everything just to help your city or county?  It makes me chuckle a little when people think the only thing the NRA cares about is donations and membership fees.  How is that different from any other organization?

Give them a break
Added by ant on Thursday, May 2, 2002 at 2:18 PM  
Fellow Members, This is a battle, culturally and politically. There will be heartbreaks and there will be victories, but it serves us no purpose to let discouraging times or incidents stop fighting . The truth is that the NRA is the heavy lifter in this fight. It sounds as if your main concerns are that which involves legislation and politics. whoever framed the term "polical science" did us all a disservice. It is an art form that is ever evolving. The NRA is the only real powerhouse that represents our values as gun owners. The NRA's Institute for Legislative Action is the division responsible for the politicing and lawmaking regarding your civil rights. This division has to contend with the legislatures, regulatory agencies and governors' offices of 50 states, the federal Congress, the White House, thousands of municapalities and a host of hostile instituions, including the press, and thousands of elections at least every other year. ILA does this all with the support of the other divisions of the NRA, state associations, and millions of dues paying members. Whats more is, ILA has only 60 employees based in two states. The bulk of it is in VA and a small team is in CA. This means lots of travel and time away from home and family at wages that are below par for the industry. The visible stuff (waynes books for example) isnt neccessarily linked to the grunt work going on even as we speak. Suggestions:1) Renew, upgrade , recruit. We need over five million members for the next election cycle! Is your spouse a member? how many member would there be if every spouse joined too? 2) target contributions to the funds you want to see be more effective, such as the politcal victory fund, the ILA etc.. 3) become an involved life member in you state assocaiton. THese are the guys that dont have to commute coast to coast. They are the NRA in your state and often have full time , capable lobbyists( such as california www.crpa.org). 4) find out who in ILA has been designated for your state.get to know their assitants.remember, Loyalty breeds loyalty, kindness breeds kindness. these people work on your states issues as almost a lifestyle choice, but if you feel they have missed something., tell them. There are people assigned to specific tasks in ILA, find out who they are and Im sure your issues wil be resolved. 5) who is the board member responsible for the issues that concern you most? Write to them. Remember, this is an Association, you are essentially a shareholder. 6) join another group, see if they can ADD to the fight. try GOA, GOC, or CCRKBA. they function much different, but check them out. Dont give up, no need to negative debrief your brother members, maybe we can get out the pro gun vote this year, and celebrate in November! can you help a pro-gun candidate this year? Thanks, 04/19 Ant'  
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#28]
... What is with this "Chicago gun ban"? Is it new? I haven't heard anything about this.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Like them or not, the NRA keeps its members posted on who is doing what in our government. It takes literally TONS of $$ to fight against the ATLA, HGI, and all of the other liberal groups working to take our firearms away. I wonder what percent of the members of AR15.com actually vote, and try to convince others to do likewise.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
... What is with this "Chicago gun ban"? Is it new? I haven't heard anything about this.
View Quote

IIRC the new ban is on hunting rifles, divide and conquer. Now the hunters in Chicago will know what it is like to have polishits crawling down their back.]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#31]
[img]communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/images/ak-heston.jpg[/img]

Good one liberty. Pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#32]
The NRA is important and deserves support.  They provide the defense, while groups like GOA provide the offense.  We need to support all defenders of the 2'nd ammt.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Even if they are doing half of what you want them too then it's worth the lousy $35 to be a member.Make sure you donate to GOA also.I also think that the NRA compromises too much so I consider them more of a 'shooting club'who trys to have mass appeal but if lots more people were involved in shooting sports then we'd have alot less 'ANTIS' to let our Rights be taken (then again,there's not usualy a vote by the people anyways-it's always slipped in somewhere).
  We know that they are not doing EVERTHING that they can...are you?  Are you printing copys of The Bill of Rights and making sure that people get a chance to know their Rights?I wish that instead of sending me a glossy magazine that they would send out a 'cheaper' publication to more people of the general population even if they'd just send a few copys of 'The Armed Citizen' page to people then people would see the benefits of being armed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't think pacifism/defeatism is the answer. It seems a lot of people here don't think it's worth bothering to send the NRA money. It also seems that a lot of people here don't want to participate in a million gun march on Washington. Sitting around and saying "damn THEM for plucking away at my rights" isn't the answer. I'm not saying one should spend 80% of their time protesting, or funding the organizations that try to keep our rights from being nibbled away, but I think the LEAST I can do is support an organization that DOES defend the rights of gun owners.

As far as Chicago, the only news I've been able to find about it has been generated by the ISRA. I am definitely not saying it is bogus. We all know that mass media is controlled by a liberal majority. I just wonder if the NRA watches/reads the same news I generally do. I don't doubt one bit that if this Chicago thing really is a verified threat, that the NRA IS involved.

I don't know. Make your own decisions. Sorry for the long winded rant. Just wanted to get my opinion out there. Although I live in a liberal run state, we have decent gun ownership laws. That doesn't mean that I can sit here and do NOTHING. I feel I must at least contribute to an organization much more powerful than myself to help keep my end of things. When gun ownership is snuffed out in Chicago, then the liberals will move on to their next target, wherever that may be.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
From Newt:
Slayer, Here in the Peoples Republic of Md., we are governed by the most liberal democratic know not polititions this side of the land of fruits & nuts (California). If not for the NRA and all the battles they have fought in this state then I am sure I would not have my five AR"S nor my AK. Unchallenged the idots here would have banned ownership of all firearms by now. I live on the eastern shore in Md. where sanity rules but we are governed by liberal masses west of the Chesapeke Bay.
View Quote
Well, you have until 2006, unless somebody got or gets the law changed.  Your legislature enacted a law mandating only smart guns be either owned or sold after 2006.
View Quote

2003, actually.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#36]
ummm as far as the nra is concerned ar15's and ak47's are evil. ever see them fight for the ownership of anything other than hunting rifles or shotguns?
View Quote

Nope. And you won't. The NRA would sell every black rifle down the river to save the pretty duck guns.
(And I AM a member.)

Pit
(edited kuz I kan't spellll)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top